Gen 2: 2006-2007 Boost & Ignition Timing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Boost & Ignition Timing

I did quite a bit of lurking around over @ Psychobike and got some good info... but some ZX10R specific experience would be great. Some experience from a guy who's first answer isn't, "Run Q16 race gas first!" would be awesome too.

Who has any good starting points for ignition tuning Vs. boost for the ZX10R engines? I know that there are a lot of factors to consider (fuel, AFR, total boost, static CR, and so on), but I'm more interested in what you can get away with on the stock motor on pump gas.

For example: 91 pump gas, stock motor (2nd/3rd gen) 5psi.... how much timing would you pull & where? Same set-up, but 10psi? Nitrous follows pretty standard rules (X amount of timing per X amount of HP)... but forced induction seems to be a little less black & white.

...I've touched 10psi a few times now, but I have quite a lot of timing out at the moment and a bit of water/meth as a back-up. Still, I saw 8psi on my C14 regularly and I didn't touch timing at all on that one. Granted, as soon as the fuel pump started to give up it immediately lunched pistons. Trying to avoid that. That bike was muuuuch hevier, but had quite a bit lower static CR.

Sooo.... who knows what? :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Spaz; What did you do with the Turbo C14? Did you sell it? I've always wanted to turbo mine. I'm still thinking about it, but I would hate to hurt the reliability of what has so far been an indestructible bike. Thanks. Mike.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Subbed for info too. Gonna be useful at some point.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Still have the Connie; the turbo is sitting on my workbench waiting to go back on. I need funds for a real pump/regulator and to put a water/meth system on it. It's my daily while I'm working on the ZX10 and my car. It can be turbo'ed reliably.... it just takes thought, restraint, and good parts. Well, 2 out of 3 of those, anyway.

Back on track: anyone with some knowledge here they're willing to share?

post #5 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ok... I'll start.

I know from looking at factory maps and tuning a bit myself that most engines need the largest amount of retard at peak cylinder pressure... which can typically be found at the peak torque level of the engine. Many forced induction motors pull very little timing out at low load, be that at low or high rpm. They see the most timing retard at high load in the low and midrange area, with timing actually becoming more advanced at higher RPM at the same load level. The cetrifugal charger in my case creates a neat situation: it makes boost in a linear manner, making peak torque pretty much the same from 7K rpm to redline.

I also feel that the bike stock has a lot timing left in it... probably 3-5 degrees. I have the nagging feeling that I can run 10psi peak (about 6psi from 7K up) with almost no additional retard, maybe a degree or two at the most on pump gas. With water/meth on top of that I should have a good margin of error. Some of those looneys that run lots of boost on the better fuels don't even start retarding ignition till it gets in the high teen's for boost numbers. I'm on pump gas, but water/meth does magical shit to fuel.

Thoughts/observations?

post #6 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

well, for reverse observation....put this in the melting pot and take with what you will.

stock motor, 87 Octane, +4 degrees of timing, perfect 12.8-9 A/F.......... top gear pull for say 2-3 min.....melts the rings to the pistons, and warps the block and head.

I know it's going the other way, but it has relevance.

I know the rule of thumb is pull 2 degrees for every 40-50HP increase of NOS.....so i'd apply that to power production also.........based on pump gas.

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I've heard the nitrous rule of thumb, but a lot of guys observe that nitrous is a lot more violent, and that the combustion even is accelerated so much by N20 that the aggressive timing changes are needed. Guys running +200hp with boost vs +200hp with nitrous are running much more aggressive timing. They actually observe that too much retard on a boosted bike kills power and increases EGT's dramatically... also melting pistons long before they detonate.

I'm not surprised that a 2-3 minute pull would melt a motor like that. That's a terrible amount of heat generation, and I don't think a stock or mildly upgraded cooling system could handle that. Considering the speed and distance this (or any) bike making this much HP would cover, I'd never run it wide open for more than 20-30 seconds.

But using the calcs for nitrous would be a good starting point, I agree. But I know there's more on the table here somewhere. :)

post #8 of 23 Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Seems to me that the timing was my problem, the programmer tried to gain more hp or torque and retarded the timing through the ecu and on the track melted the pistons... New question: - Will I be able to run properly stock rods and low pistons and better the performance or would I be needing more than 10psi to feel the power. I AM NOT GOING TO RUN MORE THAN 10PSI, NO MATTER WHAT
- Would giving a degree to the cams(stock ones) help me compensate compression or would I be getting more compression under boost and the rods will go pass their ironcraft and bend?

I am just trying to lower the compression but not kill the engine too much so that the bike will need more boost and there we go in more expenses
post #9 of 23 Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

spaz has made good points and best qualified from actual experience to answer ur questions. me, turbos suffer incorrect input no less than nitrous, just a few seconds difference insame results. 10 psi on street on pump, no intercooler, no injection, everything heated up, inlet air temps will readily promote detonation. lowering compression, turbo or nitrous just kills torque/response. 10psi is 10psi, no need to alter cam timing. higher compression low/moderate boost is street fast and all u can handle. good luck with 10psi on pump, hell of a process getting there. so my best friend hauls off and buys a new cycle logics turbo kit for his stk. zx14 that prev owner has melted down 2 motors on the dyno trying to tune the kit for cheap. kit known for this. small diameter head pipes, boosts early, high iats, lots of boost creep. i installed, lots of work/hrs getting this kit DOWN to 8 psi after creep.. stk compression motor. walbro pump, inj's cleaned/flowed, rising rate regulator. pulled 6 degrees timing everywhere as it boosts before 3k and tuned it on 93 pump.stk 310cc inj's maxed out at 9500 rpm. afr 12.6, result, 255hp/164ft lb torque at 6k, 292/190 at 9500. bike is stupid/insane fast. warp drive with just slight touch wrist in any gear. we dont take it above 9k, no need. even added some gear. 2 years, 4k miles, not a single glitch.only plans are to get boost even lower at about 6, it is too much power/instanous response as is. keep boost down/keep it simple. he also understands this turbos limitations and how to ride this bike for it to live and that's a key factor, full 8psi/wot is seldom used as
it just overpowers the road. hat's all i know, but it has worked very well.
SpazOnaZX and mpp12 like this.

Last edited by gazx10; 12-17-2016 at 08:58 AM.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Man, it's amazing what a few years of research (breaking shit) has taught me!

Gaz is on point, as always. My 10psi on pump gas, stock compression, no intercooling/water meth was really only doable with the supercharger. Many different things are going on there, as you don't have that peak boost (cylinder pressure) value at peak VE (NA peak torque) or anywhere near the backpressure/high EGT's.... you can get away with a lot more timing/boost on pump fuel compared to a turbo/N20. Once you put a snail in the exhaust there ARE SO MANY MORE THINGS that go into the equation of making a good strong motor that is reliable for a given fuel. Everyone gets wrapped up in compressor sizing, but what's going on on the turbine side is just as important, if not more. Header design and turbine size/AR are going to determine how much backpressure you have ant any given flow... and with people running extra fat mixtures to be "safe" on a turbo set up you end up with pretty high EGTs.... backpressure puts that 1000+ degree exhaust heat back into the cylinder and causes uncontrolled combustion....so people pull timing and throw more fuel at it (which creates higher EGTs...). At some point the dog catches its own tail and bites down. Long story short: you have to have well matched parts in the entire system to get the sort of professional results we all see from happy dynos & message boards across the land

And as far as timing & turbos go, I'll update with a little more I've picked up: You need good fuel. Assuming your hardware is A+, you have to have good fuel (or some sort of water injection) to take advantage of timing. There will be a magic number 'plateau' for ignition timing ( +/- a degree or two) that makes the best power, but I promise that you will not be able to get it there on pump gas.... that really applies for any boost level above a couple PSI. Knowing that, it takes a lot of effort & equipment to properly develop timing maps beyond what the OEM offers. If you're not logging knock, EGT, IAT, and AFR at the same time (dyno or track), you're really just guessing. Some people are really good at 'guessing'. Some wizards can still read plugs instead of looking at knock, but I'll be damned if I'm taking my plugs out that often on my set-up.

I don't like giving numbers to people anymore, as you can't just say to someone "pull X degrees per psi" quite like you can with nitrous or other mods.... the turbo set-up causes a lot of variables that you really have be 'Hands On' to predict. And someone telling me "I use X turbo on so-and-so's stage 3.5 kit" really doesn't tell me dick about backpressure ratios, EGT's, IAT's, etc. Honestly, unless you've previously worked with a production copy of EXACTLY what another guy is trying to set-up, I feel the best advice I can give is: "Get ye to a dyno with an experienced forced induction tuner at the controls.". If you don't like that answer, then start reading every damn book about engines, turbos, timing, fuels that you can find.... and prepare your wallet for a beating; it's going to be a long, hard, expensive, and wonderful road to knowledge.

Funny that you mention Cycle Logic, because a have a few melted pistons on a C14 using that guy's parts when I first started out.... but before the fuel system parts started failing that bike was a real animal... any 880lb amateur rider/bike combo that goes 9's with saddle bags at stock height with a shaft drive and 40psi of air in the tires is a good time. Mine lasted a bit longer than most (about 10K miles with nothing more than scavenge pump problems), but I used my own header/turbo choice. The garbage ass fuel system killed it in the end.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 12-20-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in