BMC Race vs. BMC Street - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

BMC Race vs. BMC Street

Does anyone have pics of the BMC race filter vs. their street filter. The reason I ask is I think I may have gotten ripped off.
I previously ordered a BMC Street and installed it. I have since started grooming the bike for the track and ordered the BMC Race. It looks like the exact same filter.

I didn't keep the old Street box, but it looks exactly like the new Race box. There is a sticker on the side of the new one with the model number + the word "race". There is no word "race" on the red plastic of the filter itself.

I am trying to figure out one of three possibilities:
a. The street and race versions are extremely similar in appearance.

b. I am the owner of two Street versions of the BMC

c. I am the owner of two Race versions of the BMC.

I wanted to see a side-by-side comparison. I asked a couple of dealers if they have both Race and Street versions of the BMC for the same bike in stock (for any make and model), but nobody has both. I just get the stock schtick "The race is a lot thinner and needs to be cleaned more frequently."

Anyone seen both filters for the same bike, and can describe the difference?

Like a pleat count, or thickness measurement?

Better yet, can anyone post pics of the two filters? Damn, I hate the feeling of being taken.

Nothing worse than going to your favorite watering hole and discovering its a leaky rubber night. Leave your spawn at home.

06 ZX-10R, 16/40 stealth 520 ERV3, GI Pro ATRE, Speedo Healer, PCIII-USB w/ custom map, TiForce Full Ti 4-2-1-2, BMC Race, Nissin (ZX-14) calipers, EBC HH pads, Galfer stnd SS lines, Gilles rearsets, Titax levers, Salamander barends, .95kg Race Tech springs, water wetter, Corsa IIIs, and some cosmetic crapola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
hmm wish i could help you there. i have the race and its thin and small as hell.

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

probably look the same but they have different density of foam to allow more or less air in.

Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?
Flags and handlebars should never touch the ground.
GOD made Police so Firemen would have HEROES

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Posting Frequency

You can hold them up side by side and the race filter is less dense. I just compared and bought the race. there is no part number difference on the filter.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

You see, because they both look the same...
<that part is so important I will say it again>
Because they both look the same, I don't know which ones I have.

Either two street, or two race.

I mean, obviously, if the two were different I could tell which one had less substrate and it would be the race filter.

Sorry to sound caustic, but sheesh, give a guy a little credit. Thank you for confirming BMC doesn't stamp a part number on the filter itself, though.

Also does "small as hell" mean you can see daylight through it? Can you read a newspaper through it? Use it on your girl like a dental dam?

Is the race filter pleated like the street? How many pleats?

Everyone has always been so helpful with other issues, and been so forthcoming with technical info. I didn't think this would be a forum stumper.

Nothing worse than going to your favorite watering hole and discovering its a leaky rubber night. Leave your spawn at home.

06 ZX-10R, 16/40 stealth 520 ERV3, GI Pro ATRE, Speedo Healer, PCIII-USB w/ custom map, TiForce Full Ti 4-2-1-2, BMC Race, Nissin (ZX-14) calipers, EBC HH pads, Galfer stnd SS lines, Gilles rearsets, Titax levers, Salamander barends, .95kg Race Tech springs, water wetter, Corsa IIIs, and some cosmetic crapola
post #6 of 15 Old 06-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

hold both up in front of a light source...the race element will allow nuch more light through than the steet filter
post #7 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

My useless 2 cents.. Been hearing that if you ride mainly street do not use the race version. The race allows more air in obviously, and also more debris. I would not want to take the chance of letting something through the filter and fricking up the engine. Anyway, just sharing, this has been said on this site also.. Peace,

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

2006 ZX10R (Black)
post #8 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

For the track just use the stock air filter with the paper element cut out
post #9 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
Got 300 street miles on the Race, no problems so far.

But then again, I'm not making it a habit of driving behind dump trucks full of sand.

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!
post #10 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i have put 20k miles on bmc race filters on my gixxer 1k and 10r and never had a problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in