• 3 Post By SkyDork
  • 1 Post By BavZ129

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Post Bike cutting out while riding

I've had my 07 ZX 10 for about 2 months now, bought from a dealer. Been having a few issues recently.
Went out for a ride, stopped at a traffic light, the dials went completely of, as I rode off the engine cut out.
First thing I did was change the battery. Bike started up on the first swing, took it out onto the freeway, but i noticed from idle to 3k rpm it splutters and doesn't rev past 8k prm, brought it back home and it couldn't start afterwards.(batt. died)
Took it back to the dealer, he says might have had water mixed in the fuel(not sure how) so he flushed out the tank, checked rectifier, plugs, fuel pump (all seem to be 100%)
According to his mechanic, the brand new Deltec AGM battery I bought was faulty. What you do you guys think? Any input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

The first sign that there's a power issue is related to the instrument cluster (not "dials") going dead before the motor dies. That's an indication that the alternator is not provided the needed power and the battery powering the bike. The first thing that happens is the instrument loses power and the motor quits shortly after that since the battery is running total-loss at that point. It won't make any difference if you charge the battery again and restart it because it won't last long. This cycle gane damage the battery. The Gen 1 and 2 have a history of the alternators going out. Since the alternator consists of the rotor and stator, the stator is what goes bad. In your case, charge the battery, replace the stator, and see what you get.

The other possible point of failure is the rectifier. The purpose of that is to convert the variable AC voltage to a constant 12v DC. If that fails, no power gets to the battery to keep it charged. Check both if you can, but it's more than likely the stator that's bad.
evilaugust, lun471k and BavZ129 like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Good work Skydork, at least he could buy you a beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
What @SkyDork said. Out of curiosity, how many miles on the bike? I just replaced my Gen2 stator at 12k. Thing was cooked.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hi Guys

@ Skydork... I do owe you a beer! You were 100% right. I got the bike back from the dealer and he advised I need to replace the battery, AGAIN. (btw Deltec load tested the battery & all was fine)
As a client of his, I was very disappointed at his lack of after service, anyways screw him....
Downloaded the service manual of the forum and used Skydorks advise as a guide. First thing I did was drain fuel tank(in case of bad fuel), changed plugs & oil, tested rectifier and stator...
Stator was fine, but the rectifier was faulty... Replaced with a new one.
After a full charge on my "faulty" battery and fresh fuel, bike is running very smooth throughout revs, no splatter and battery is getting sufficient charge.

@evilaugust... Im from South Africa so my odo reads in km, its now just over 36000km (roughly 22000 miles).. It's a old boy, but runs like a beast.

Thanks for all the info. guys, really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0001028.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	413178  
lun471k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery, gen2, rectifier, zx10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in