Bike cuts out at high rpm - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Bike cuts out at high rpm

I have an 07 ZX10, The only performance mods are my Two brothers Single side exhaust. It does it at all temps outside, and if the bike is warm or hot. I pulled the tre off thinking that was causing it, didn't fix it. Changed the spark plugs and that didn't change it either. At high rpm around 11k the bike will cut out as if someone is turning the key off and on. I can't seem to figure out what it is. Oh, I also checked the tilt sensor and the kickstand switch and it still does it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 AM

Posting Frequency

you havent dropped the bike have you?

the reason i ask i bcuz i had a similar issue after i put my bike back together and it ended up being that the crank position sensor under the smaller right motor cover actually got bent away from the reference sproket on the crank which had no effect until the bike hit over 10,000 rpm then the signal wasnt strong enough to pick up cuz it was too far from the sprocket.

otherwise, goodluck and i hope you figure it out!
post #3 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 07:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Some people had problem with the cam position sensor and its connector. This sensor is on the exhaust side.

Last edited by sextaafondo; 11-07-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

fuel filter or pump is clogged
post #5 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

fuel supply problem, could be electronic breaking up at high r's effecting the pump or injectors. Or bad dose of fuel has clogged fuel filt or pump. Take a look to see if your tank breather tube allows the free flow of air to prevent a tank vacuum lock.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

If you installed a power commander, try reflashing it. I had a similar problem so I reflashed mine a couple months ago and (knock in wood) I have not had any issue since then. I am thinking the files got corrupted or something.

BE AN INSPIRATION TO OTHERS AND YOU CAN DEEM YOURSELF A USEFUL PART OF SOCIETY.........
post #7 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ZX10RJoe View Post
I have an 07 ZX10, The only performance mods are my Two brothers Single side exhaust. It does it at all temps outside, and if the bike is warm or hot. I pulled the tre off thinking that was causing it, didn't fix it. Changed the spark plugs and that didn't change it either. At high rpm around 11k the bike will cut out as if someone is turning the key off and on. I can't seem to figure out what it is. Oh, I also checked the tilt sensor and the kickstand switch and it still does it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If it falls flat on its face to the point where you nearly go over the bars, I would remove the fuel pump and check the filter, the filter area is too small and it doesnt take much dirt to starve the pump, if you leave it too long the contamination will get to the pump, then kiss $300 goodbye.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Fuel pump...

post #9 of 23 Old 11-08-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah I have ran a lot of gas through it to see if that was the problem and no change. I don't have a power commander but I did pull my tre off and still the same. I have had my tank off and that is when the problem started if I am thinking correctly. I'll have to check the vent tube also. The bike only has about 4800 miles on it so I wouldn't think the fuel filter would be clogged but then again you never know. But, the bike has fallen over once. didn't damage anything but maybe it jarred a sensor loose or something. Thanks for all the info guys, I'll let you know what I find.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-08-2008, 08:46 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ZX10RJoe View Post
Yeah I have ran a lot of gas through it to see if that was the problem and no change. I don't have a power commander but I did pull my tre off and still the same. I have had my tank off and that is when the problem started if I am thinking correctly. I'll have to check the vent tube also. The bike only has about 4800 miles on it so I wouldn't think the fuel filter would be clogged but then again you never know. But, the bike has fallen over once. didn't damage anything but maybe it jarred a sensor loose or something. Thanks for all the info guys, I'll let you know what I find.

The mileage has nothing to do with it, its the quality of the fuel in the gas station tanks ,particularly the higher octane fuel as it doesnt get used so regularly anymore, if you are going to lift the tank you may aswell look at the fuel filter while you are there (5 bolts) , you will se the well where the filter sits is very, very small and traps every particle of dirt.

If you have pinched a vent line that could maybe cause it, the simple solution to that is to run it with the gas cap open and see if it is gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in