bike camera info Part 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

HOW TO: bike camera setup Part 2

well as i promised here is the total write up for my camera setup and hopefully this will help others to get their bikes out there filming their rides and sharing with the rest of us.

Step 1 first is to make some room in that trunk. take out that tool kit and kit out the plastic divider to free up some more space. my sony handy cam just barely fits in the back with a large battery to run my two bullet cams.

Step 2 pull off the seats and get the tank to where you can tilt it up. nest to the exhaust valve actuator is some space to roll up extra length of wire you have.

Step 3 gonna need a camera with an rca cable that allows you to hook it up to a vcr/tv. it will have yellow/red/white rca end with a 1/8th mini tip end with 3 bands around it (much like a headphones connection for a walkman)

Step 4 find you some bullet cameras. there are several places that sell them and most are made by the same company. i use 420-480 resolution cams and they cost about $50-70. the bullet cams will come with an rca or you will need an adaptor to make it fit on the rca cable to the video cam.
i got mine from www.plusscctv.com and they were running a special on ebay that came with the adaptor, extra length cable to run power, small length of power cable if you needed a different adaptor and a wall converter and an adjustible mounting bracket.

look at this thread to see what type of video camera i use
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24978

Step 5 get a separate battery to run the bullet camera. you might run into background noises when trying to run the cam off of the bike battery. i found a radial controled car battery for 1:6 scale. it is also rechargeable and has exterior wires for hooking up to the bullet cams.

Step 6 now you need to get power to the bullet cameras. I added an extra cable to mine so that i can hook up a microphone down the road. I just used the cable that came with my wall adapters for the bullet cameras. will have a male end for the connection and two wires: one with a white strip, other plain. mine goes form four power connections down to one to hook up to the battery. i just kept the white striped wires together and the black ones together. use some solder to hold them together then use a crimp connector to attach to the cable going to the battery. one of my wall adapters had a single wire cable and i found out that the inner wire was the hot/white wire and the outside was the negative/solid black wire. if it doesnt work just switch the wires. save this for the last part to put on bike so you can cut them to length to save wire on the bike.

Step 7 if you are going to put the camera in the trunk you will need a LANC remote to operate the video camera. get one from www.hoyttech.com because they know which one should go to your camera. this remote is great because it is just one button with an LED light that tells you what mode you are in. you can power the camera on/off/pause/record. i mounted mine on the left handle bar over the light switch with some velcro tape.

Step 8 now start to figure out where you want to mount your bullet cams. i mounted my first attempt under the nose of the bike where the plastic removable plate is that allows you access to the connection under the dash. not a good spot if you plan on doing wheelies cause mine scratched my front fender. i decided to make a mount that would fit on the mirror stalk. i went to lowes and got some pvc pipe fittings. took the mirror off the stalk by putting an allen wrench in the hole on the bottom of the mirror and broke out the mirror. once inside there is a bolt/nut and a spring. undo the bolt and the mirror housing comes off. my mirror stalk was a little too wide for the pvc pipe i got so i ground some of the stalk bell shape off which also gave me more flat area to grab with the pvc fitting. i wrap my bullet cameras in the furry side of the velcro tape (idustrial strength) and it makes the camera fit nice and snug in the pvc fitting and also helps control vibes. painted it black.
Attached Images

Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?
Flags and handlebars should never touch the ground.
GOD made Police so Firemen would have HEROES

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...

Last edited by joedirt199; 05-17-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: change title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-16-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Step 9 i wanted to be able to shoot video out the front or the back. this is where you can get as complicated or as simple as you want. if your content with just one bullet cam you can hook it up to the video connection of your video camera and hook up the power to the battery and you are ready to go. if you want more cameras keep reading. i went with the wall mount for my rear camera and mounted it up above the exhaust side. i didnt want chain goop flinging up on the lens while riding and ruining my view. my undertail has rubber fender paint to hide debris and road junk. i drilled three small holes in the rightside rear tail and bolted the wall mount to the underside of it. not a bad bracket but there is an all rubber one that www.twenty20camera.com sells that i might try later. there are other mounts that you dont have to drill holes or attach with velcro tape so try something and let us know how they work. main thing is to keep vibrations down.

Step 10 now time to control the different cameras. here is where i will go into the building of a video switch, which was the effort of months of trying to find the right switch and wiring combination to make it work. i give you all this to save the headach i went through buying and expirimenting with ideas. first i got some 5 position rotary switches from www.futurlec.com. they only cost a dollar. bought a decent set of rca video cables with shielded wires think they were panasanic from walmart $12. get a small project box from radio shack $4. soldering iron and solder. some loose wire. a couple of ways to wire this up. i took the two center tabs and bent them to the inside so they touched and put some solder on them. the two opposides of poles on the bottom of the switch dont connect on their own so that is why i had to connect the center poles together. then i connected the inner wire of the incoming rca cable to the 1 pole and keep the shielding pulled back to connect later. connect second incoming rca cable inner wire to the 2 pole and pull shielding up out of the way. you can continue this for each camera you want to add. then i connected the out rca cable to the opposite side pole 3 and soldered a wire on to 1, 2, 3 poles on the out side to connect them. that way when the switch is on the other positions for the incoming camera the out going side will still connect. now connect the shielded wires all together to make the ground. that is where the black wire is going from both sides.

alternate way * would be to wire up the incoming side the same as above and attach the out going inner wire to the 6 pole on the incoming side. then connect the shield wires and the switch should still work.

i then drilled holes in the project box to hold the wires and the switch. make them just big enough so they are snug and use some silicone or sealant to keep out water. try to use the same colors on the incoming side so you dont get confused when you hook up the switch to the bike. measure up your cables so they are not too long. this is the switch box now to find a knob you like. radio shack has a few and they have a tension bolt to hold it on
$3. i did this because the only switch i could find was $175 dollars and i can find other things to spend that kind of money on so i am sharing the wealth with you all.
Attached Images

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...
post #3 of 34 Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

step 10 now to figure out where to mount the switch. i couldnt figure out a good spot that would be descrete and accessible so the best spot i found was the front of the tank. thought about using a sticky magnet on the bottom of the switch to keep sticky crap off the bike but since i had some velcro still sitting around i just went with it. run all the wiring up under the tank cause when you put the tank down it will hold everything from flying around. there is some space between the frame and airbox to run the wiring.

that is pretty much it. zip ties will be your friend. i only had white ones so they stand out but i will redo them with black to clean up the looks. i will post some final pictures tomorrow. had to take the bike out and give it a try and it works great. also had to test the ceramic coated exhaust with new baffle stock muffler. dont know how you guys can drop that much jack on aftermarket exhaust. i will get a dyno run in a few months after i pay for a few trackdays to show the difference. hope this helps some of you. ride safe and have fun.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I have mixed feelings about the whole taping-while-riding thing ...

Around here, the cops have been seizing on-board cameras, in order to use the video for evidence against you or anyone who rides with you. If you get confronted with that in court, it's mighty tough to defend against it.

If you are going to ride fully in compliance with every law on the books, including absolute adherence to every posted speed limit 100% of the time, then I suppose it's not a problem, but who does that ... ? ? ?

Events over the past couple of years have added up to no video on any ride that I am on. If someone's taping, I go elsewhere; if they follow, I poke along at the speed limit until they go away ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Some good ideas and inginuity in there but...

Last edited by ZX10Miami; 05-31-2007 at 12:55 PM.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
very nice man, you gotta catch some wicked vids for us now :-D
post #7 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i am cheap what can i say. the damper was loose while i was working it is not mounted that way. it works for me. if i upgrade i will offer it to you first for cheap. it is alright here i ride with a bunch of coppers and i am one as well. ride in my county and it is all good in the hood. i am not a hypacrit either. i dont go out and road race then hammer guys who do the same. i am pretty fair. if your bike is licensed and you have a valid motorcycle license and insurance i say go have fun. its the idiots that just borrow a bike, dont get it registered, dont have insurance and drive like asses in traffic that i go after and that is not very often. most of the time it is to find more people to ride with. no worries man. going riding right now to test it on one of our favorite roads that is way out in god's country and just got resurfaced so should be smooth sailing.

post #8 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

just wanted to throw out a joe dirt reference.

Damn joe dirt, you don't even have a car- yeah but thats a deal.....

Had to go with robbie because I couldn't find the joe dirt on cover of autotrader shot- that may be my favorite moment of the movie.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

alright alright, it puts the lotion on it's skin. now where is my autotrader? i thought we had a deal.

back to the thread. full blown test today and everything worked good. the switch needs a little more tension on it when changing settings cause with heavy gloves on it is a little hard to feel the clicks. ran some good roads and the weather was perfect. got to remember what camera i am on since my buddy was in front of me doing wheelies and stoppies and i had it on the rear camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	35367  

post #10 of 34 Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

cool ideal. like to see a vid on how all the camera works.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in