Best way to clean the chain? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Best way to clean the chain?

How does everyone clean their chain? I use a scrubber brush, similar to a dishwashing brush, but wind up having to clean the brush very often as the grease gums it up and still cant get the chain completely gunk/grime/crap free. Does anyone have a better method that will leave the chain clean?

-Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Scrub it in kerosene or Diesel
post #3 of 19 Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to JaydeeZX10 Send a message via Yahoo to JaydeeZX10
I'd do a search but the service manual says to use kerosene or diesel oil. If you search for service manual you should be able to get the downlodable version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to 06BLK10R Send a message via Yahoo to 06BLK10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R_04 View Post
Scrub it in kerosene or Diesel

I also use wd40 old toothbrush & old worn out socks soak the sock in Kerosene & wipe your chain down ally good also get a box of good latex gloves as it will make a mess you can get them from any Autoparts store. I clean my chain atleast once a week sometimes more generally in the Eveining then Ill wipe it down with an old towel ,take it out for a 4 mile run & when I get it back in the garage while the chain is still warm spray it down with chain wax & over night it will dry so the next time you take it out for a ride it wont throw lube all over your bike. Works very well IMO
post #5 of 19 Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

the trick to chain maint is ... do it often, just about any chain will last if taken care of, all chains will fail qickly if not taken care of.

I use this stuff, it is safe for plastics and paint, melts the grease right off. I put it in a spray bottle and you can use it to clean up the rear rim, and swing arm too. I use inexpensive spray white lithium grease.

Clean (tooth brush and a small dish of wd40, kerosine, Sludgeaway)and regrease every 300mile or two weeks, which ever is shortest... and wipe down with a rag with wd40, or this stuff, every few days.

if your chain doesn't look "wet", it needs a wipe down and some more grease.

tention your chain when it's cold, grease your chain when it's warm.

hope this helps

Last edited by Rifleman; 02-17-2008 at 08:50 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Posting Frequency

wd-40 is okay for the side plates but don't spray the o-rings. It will dissolve the lube in the bushing. A gold chain or such the sides don't need to be lubed, only the bushing.

Don't over do the lube and it won't be too messy.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06450F View Post
wd-40 is okay for the side plates but don't spray the o-rings. It will dissolve the lube in the bushing. A gold chain or such the sides don't need to be lubed, only the bushing.

Don't over do the lube and it won't be too messy.
good advice is to do a little.... but do it frequently.

WD40 is good for cleaning off the grease, but you are correct, it can be tough on the O-rings over time... The rollers need a little grease and the pins and O-rings can use a little because as the chain cools down it will draw back in behind the O-rings, if there is good grease there, then it draws in grease... if not, it draws in air, usually moist air and starts the distruction of the chain.

I use the little red hose, put the bike on a rear paddoc stand, idle in first gear, and then spray into the space between the plates on each side, usually that's enough over spray to get some on the rollers and all is good...

trick is frequently... often I'll start the bike up and let it warm before heading out.... last thing I do before taking it off the stand is give it a spritz with the spray grease, once a week at the least.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Posting Frequency

the aircraft industry did a test on sealed bearings and o ring chains with wd-40 and other penetrating lubes. They caused premature wear vs standard lubes like a oil.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Wiz
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Wiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
good advice is to do a little.... but do it frequently.

WD40 is good for cleaning off the grease, but you are correct, it can be tough on the O-rings over time... The rollers need a little grease and the pins and O-rings can use a little because as the chain cools down it will draw back in behind the O-rings, if there is good grease there, then it draws in grease... if not, it draws in air, usually moist air and starts the distruction of the chain.

I use the little red hose, put the bike on a rear paddoc stand, idle in first gear, and then spray into the space between the plates on each side, usually that's enough over spray to get some on the rollers and all is good...

trick is frequently... often I'll start the bike up and let it warm before heading out.... last thing I do before taking it off the stand is give it a spritz with the spray grease, once a week at the least.
I use Profi-Lube after a long ride while the chain is still warm , hardly any fling-off
post #10 of 19 Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

Try the honda chain wax too, that is what I use it goes on clear and stays on for a long time, there is no mess with it. Unless you like black shit all over your ass section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in