Best tools for draining full tank - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Best tools for draining full tank

The TRE goes on Friday. My bike has a full tank of gas w/ stabilizer (from winter prep) in it. What do you guys use when you need to drain the tank fast for maint? I'm gonna disconnect the fuel line & remove the tank for the TRE/PC3 inst. I tried rigging my Mityvac to a gas can, but there's not enough pressure. Any thoughts? And don't just say crap like "just turn it upside down" :iamwithst
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I'm not sure I understand. Do you need to get rid of the fuel or are you worried about spilling when you take the tank off? You can disconnect the fuel line and the fuel will remain in the tank.

If you do need to drain the tank - I'm not sure if this works on the ZX10R's, but on my old GSXR's I would disconnect the fuel line, route the fuel line to a container (I had one with a long filler hose that worked well) and turn the bike off and on to make the fuel pump cycle. I just kept cycling the fuel pump until the tank was empty. However, given you have a full tank this would take quite a while, so you might be better off with a different solution. Again, this worked with the GSXR's, not sure about the ZX10R
post #3 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I know shit about fuel injection systems. I can follow instructions to install the TRE & PC3, but I didn't know the gas won't just come rushing out if you disconnect the line. The svc manual makes it sound like it will. All I need to do is take the tank off for easy access. It doesn't matter if it's full since the gas won't spray out all over the damn place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 AM

Posting Frequency

There's an orange connector, when you take that off a small amount of gas will come out, but not a whole lot. I used a rag to catch it. I tried to install my PC3 with the tank propped up the first time till I found out about this trick.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 06:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If all you're doing is a TRE installation, you shouldn't even have to remove the tank at all. Just remove the front two bolts and rig a zip-tie to the front of the tank. I just use a tie-down strap to hold the tank up via the zip-tie and a hook in my garage ceiling.

I've completely removed the airbox with this setup, to install PCIII, TRE, air-injection block off plates, etc.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

There really is not much gas that comes out. I have taken my tank off many times and plug it at the fuel pump (which by the way will empty the tank real fast with power applied)and sit it on my garage bench. Its just a whole lot easier with the tank off so you can concentrate on your main tasks.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwracing
I'm not sure I understand. Do you need to get rid of the fuel or are you worried about spilling when you take the tank off? You can disconnect the fuel line and the fuel will remain in the tank.

If you do need to drain the tank - I'm not sure if this works on the ZX10R's, but on my old GSXR's I would disconnect the fuel line, route the fuel line to a container (I had one with a long filler hose that worked well) and turn the bike off and on to make the fuel pump cycle. I just kept cycling the fuel pump until the tank was empty. However, given you have a full tank this would take quite a while, so you might be better off with a different solution. Again, this worked with the GSXR's, not sure about the ZX10R
That is what I do with my gsxrs. I need to rig some kind of switch or some thing you can just turn on and drain it instead of turning igntion on and off when I switch fuels. It would be sweet if you could just flip a switch and pump out all the fuel.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 12:50 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I remove my tank anytime I have to pull the airbox. Even if just cleaning the airfilter. It's fast and easy and I worry about that one time I might slip with a screw driver and etch a huge scratch in the tank. Only a small amount of gas comes out. Use a rag to catch it.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Posting Frequency

You could always shove a hose into the tank and get the good old gravity method going until it is nearly empty, and then drain the rest out of the fuel line using the pump method.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Posting Frequency

+1+2+3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in