Best Mods? (Race car, stock internals, custom header) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Best Mods? (Race car, stock internals, custom header)

I know this topic is frequent and many of you may be sick of it, but since my application is a little different, I hope it will spark some good suggestions, resulting in lower lap times. I need your help to beat some pesky Suzukis & Yamahas :-).

The rules for my road racing formula car require stock internals, but I can change exhaust (a necessity to fit the chassis), intake, fuel pump, etc., and I can use "add-ons" (PC, TRE, GI-Pro, etc.).

I've read a lot of threads on ZX-10r.net - great info - but the race car application adds a few twists. For instance, I am not traction limited and I'm not concerned about low rpm drivability. I'm generally interested in full throttle HP/torque (because, if I'm not 100% throttle, then I already have sufficient HP for that part of the track).

I'm guessing that Power Commander III USB will be at the top of my list. I do expect to do some chassis dyno tuning, so maybe the Ignition Module will have potential. I assume I'll want a higher redline, but not positive.

I've been told that I will want a gear indicator, but I'm not convinced that's a necessity (I may change my mind after driving the car :-).

Remember - the yard stick is lap times. How would you rate my options in terms of best bang for the buck?

Thanks very much in advance. I look forward to your responses.

RussMcB
F1000 (SCCA Formula Car w/ '07 ZX-10R engine) - Sold in 2010 :-(
'99 ZRX1100
Marietta, GA USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
Well what about the kawi intake race cam :-) If you go with a power commander which I highly suggest I would suggest you getting a data logger for tuning it. Chassis dynos are great but if you have a wide band 02 monitoring air fuel, tps, and rpm you can tune it all your self with a few runs..... save your self some money as well if you do decide to switch exhaust or anything else. are you running stock air box? maybe try something custom like individual pods or a better intake system like custom air box, larger volume and everything, hell if you have the space I would do it. hell you could always get kawi pistons....they might be 14.3:1 compression but they are kawi's hahahahah..

I know it has to be stock but you could always be a lil sneaky :-D
post #3 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Cheating is not an option. No joy in beating others that way. In fact, I *hope* to get a lot of satisfaction from outrunning others spending more with my $1200 ebay engine. :-).

I hadn't thought much about the air box. Thanks for that suggestion. I've just been planning to run the stock plastic air box with K&N filter. I can force air into it, but it wouldn't be easy. That might be a wintertime project.

I guess I should also mention that I will only consider mods that will definitely have a noticeable improvement. This is a new class and we're having the first "national" championship at Road Atlanta later this year. Since I'm not going to have a lot of time, I want to do what's relatively easy as long as it's not too expensive or trouble. Hope that makes sense.

Here's a picture from this past weekend. Still lots to do but it runs and is starting to look like a whole car again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug05_07 007RB.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	41686  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Get a wideband O2 sensor like the Innovate LM1. With an additional interface box it will log in addition to O2 data, tps, EGT, injector duty cycle, and I think it has a 2 axis accelerometer in it. You can download the data and play it back real time. It also has 2 programmable outputs so that if you have a regular data logger with external inputs you can plug the O2 data into it, which is what I do. Then you can adjust the powercommander based on the data you see.

Make an airbox as big as you can.

Degree the cams. You could probably get away with a thin head gasket since you have to run race gas you don't have to worry about increased compression. Are you running a 4 into 1 exhaust? How long are the primaries?
post #5 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
damn that thing looks sick, i wish i could put one of those on the street lol....

the LM1 from innovate is a very cool box as well. Ive been using a WEGO II from daytona sensors....real nice and compact and it has a heads up display for air fuel and can log between 15 mins and 3 hours depending on quality. I highly suggest them they are awesome.

can you degree the cams at all? or can you run a kawi intake race cam? Would be nice to run maybe individual filter pods but not sure about the velocity stacks. But I think a larger air box would be real neat and I'm sure you can get real creative with a intake like an F1 car or something on top or something.

how much do those things cost to build or how much do they run?
post #6 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool.

I've got an AIM Mychron 3 XGLog. I've been thinking about putting bungs in my exhaust for O2 or EGT sensors but haven't had a chance to think about it in detail.

My header tubes are going to be around 30" long before they go into a 4 into 1 collector. I think they are longer than optimum, but packaging was a challenge. It started life as an S&S Header, built for Dwarf/Circle track cars. I've had to chop it up a lot to fit my chassis. I talked to their tech guy. At the time I wanted to run short tubes (~15") because it would have been easier to fab, but he said it would hurt lower end. He figured 27" was optimum. Primaries are 1.5", I think.

What's the problem with the stock air box? Too turbulent/cramped? Air flow have to make turns to sharp?

I wont be opening up the engine any time too soon. I have too much chassis work to do first.

What is involved in degreeing the cams?

Thanks very much for the ideas.

RussMcB
F1000 (SCCA Formula Car w/ '07 ZX-10R engine) - Sold in 2010 :-(
'99 ZRX1100
Marietta, GA USA
post #7 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
how much do those things cost to build or how much do they run?
My car will be worth maybe $20,000 when I'm done. Hard to say. I started with a $12,000 car last year, whacked off the back half and have been working on it / improving it for too many months. I'm getting a lot of help, but doing most of the work myself to save money. For instance, I fab & tack weld stuff, then take it to my tig welder friend/sponsor. Big ticket items were dry sump system and differential (~$3,000).
post #8 of 21 Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Bigger airbox.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

When my brother had his 10r dynod, he got at least 4 more hp just by removing the lid off the box. We don't run it that way, but we've known for a long time that a larger airbox would help.

You will most likely need to remove the motor from the chassis. If you can get a degree wheel on the timing side you might be ok. Do a search on cam degreeing for details, but its a no money required mod - well, other than some gaskets if you take the starter covers off to turn the crank.

Dwarf car guys live in a different world. Like you said, we care about top end Hp, so 30" is way too long. Shorter would be much better for you.

Race cams would be an illegal mod for this class. Also a race ecu would be verboten. I figure you could get away with the thin gasket but other than that its hands off the internals.

There are some DSRs that are under 15K. Almost all are motorcycle powered. Most popular is the GSXR.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Great info. Thanks.

Removing the top cover of the air box and adding additional cool (maybe rammed) air into the top wouldn't be too difficult. Probably biggest task would be filtering that additional air, but sounds pretty doable. Thanks for the idea. 4 HP would be noticeable.

Degreeing the cams - I'll do a search in here for more info.

When I talked to the tech guy at S&S Headers, he knew I wanted power at the top of the RPM range. When I said I was considering short (16") primary tubes he said it would cost me horsepower (he didn't say how much). That's when I decided to wait until after the next bend to go from 4 tubes into the collector. I figured I'll be at lower RPMs some of the time, so better to have the header optimized for lower than for something past my redline.

If I had to choose between, say, 18" and 29" primary tube lengths, which would you choose?

There's a good chance I'll redo the header this winter, but I can't spend too much time on any one thing or I'll never get to the track. I know I'll have a few issues to work out, so I want to get them out of the way as soon as possible so I can tune the chassis and get the car up to speed.

You know, now that I'm sitting here typing (when I should head back into the garage :-), seat time is probably going to help my lap times more than a HP or 2 ... :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
When my brother had his 10r dynod, he got at least 4 more hp just by removing the lid off the box. We don't run it that way, but we've known for a long time that a larger airbox would help.

You will most likely need to remove the motor from the chassis. If you can get a degree wheel on the timing side you might be ok. Do a search on cam degreeing for details, but its a no money required mod - well, other than some gaskets if you take the starter covers off to turn the crank.

Dwarf car guys live in a different world. Like you said, we care about top end Hp, so 30" is way too long. Shorter would be much better for you.

Race cams would be an illegal mod for this class. Also a race ecu would be verboten. I figure you could get away with the thin gasket but other than that its hands off the internals.

There are some DSRs that are under 15K. Almost all are motorcycle powered. Most popular is the GSXR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in