Bar End Mirror review - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Bar End Mirror review

Couple of my friends have been using bar-end mirrors and really seem to like them so i thought id give em a shot. "THE" setup to go with seems to be the CRG lansplitters, but at $75 a piece its a pricey gamble it you dont know if you will like them or not so i found a very similar product on ebay for $30 shipped. I already have the titanium mirror-block-offs that i purchased from a member here, I use them for trackdays and have sorta grown fond of the look of my bike with no mirrors which is probably another reason for my wanting to try a bar-end setup...

here is the mirror that i bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...164341049&rd=1

compare it to the CRG version
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...QQcmdZViewItem

the only difference i could see between the two is the arm that connects the mirror to the mounting bracket. the model i picked up is more cheaply constructed and instead of being straight has a bend in it and also doesnt have the extra pivot point. That pivot point is what makes the lanesplitter a lanesplitter, it adds a "give" point to the mirror in case it catches on something.

with the mirror i bought i had to pop the glass out and unscrew the arm and turn it so it would bend up instead of down when mounted on my left bar. In doing so i managed to knock a small chunk of glass out of it...lol It was a small piece and still functions properly and is secure, so far...

To mount the mirror i had to trim about 1/4" from the end of my left grip in order to fasten the mount directly to my clip-on and still retain use of my motivation bar ends. The mirror that i ordered will not screw into the end of the clip-on. So if your interested in trying these factor in the cost of a new set of grips if you decide to return to the stock mirror setup.

The only thing that stopped me from doing this before was that i was worried about losing visibility. With only a single mirror mounted to my left bar the only blindspot that i have is directly to my right rear. The mirrors are convex though, so with just the single left mirror i was able to see all the riders behind me when riding staggered yesterday. The only time i ever missed having a right-side mirror was passing cars which can be solved with a quick head-check that i normally do anyhow. I also have a habit of checking my mirrors when exiting a turn when leading a group to see if all the riders behind me made it through the turn safely.

The visibility with just a single left side mirror isnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be, and it didnt take long for me to get used to it. Being convex it gives a wide field of view but it comes at the cost of being able to see stuff at a distance as everything disappears fairly quickly as the gap increases between the object and yourself, not that the stock mirrors are all that great when you need to see behind you anyhow...

Ive become accustom to riding without mirrors at the track and actually like how it feels. When hanging off and especially when working on getting your head down in the turns there is nothing to distract you or get in your field of view, its just you and the turn with no distractions.

I didnt take any pics, but i might snap a few tonight.

I did about 200 miles yesterday with a few other riders and so far i like the setup. I bought the cheapo setup to see if i would like it but might order up a CRG mirror now.

So far so good, i dig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2509 (Medium).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	47631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511 (Medium).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	47632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512 (Medium).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	47633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2514 (Medium).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	47634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523a (Medium).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	47635  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

looks like i can order the "lansplitter" elbow and replacement glass since i broke mine separately here.
http://www.ema-usa.com/misc/misc_crg_street.shtml

so i could turn my $30 generic version into the $75 lanesplitter for a total of around $50.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I give them a bad review for safety reasons.
But I still have them on and use them.

I say this because we gotta look down so far to see and focus things that are in the mirror. We are not looking straight ahead where we can still scan things in front of us. It is just another block of time where sh*t can happen. Murphy's Law.

Two reason I use them.
Practical. On OMMRA race weekends at the track there is an event called Taste of Racing. And for $20 you can take your bike on the track with safety possibly taking the back seat to your experience. I can just pop my mirrors off in seconds and put them on when I come off the track.

2nd reason.
I simply makes the nose of my bike look even faster. Mean Green fast look'in machine.
A little kid in every rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Not a fan of those mirrors, but if they tickle yer fancy.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sounds good and definitely makes the front of the bike look better.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 AM

Posting Frequency

hell i got pulled over becaue of a bar end mirror but mine went on with a velcrow strap then again the cop was an a-hole so right now i am on the look out for a aftermarket set
post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Funshine Bear

Location: Back on the road again. Auto club speedway is my new home.
Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to minichevy
those look good, especially for 30 instead of 70. I emailed the guy to see if he has any in black because I only seen the chrome. no chrome on my machine.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have CRGs on my bike and I love them. You need to get used to it and be very careful.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-20-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

ive done a few rides with it now and think it will probably be a permanent addition, the ONLY issue i have so far is when passing a car i cant use the mirror to see when im clear to pull back over. like i said though, head check..

i bought a beat up CRG lanesplitter from my buddy for dirt cheap too, just needs new glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in