Bad luck while installing cam... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Bad luck while installing cam...

I just put my 08 race cam in and aparently I screwed up. I put the cam in and put everything back in time, or so I thought. I turned the motor over by hand to see if anything was going to hit and it turned freely. Well, got everything put back together and started the bike and its makeing a whole lot of noise. Sounds like pistons and valves hitting. I just thought it was weird that I could turn the motor over with no problems and on startup it makes noise... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Pull the head off and take a look. There isn't any way they should hot if you could turn it over by hand but you need to look now. Can you take pics?
post #3 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Gen 5 Now!!

Posting Frequency

if you were using the slotted sprockets on the cam then maybe one or both of the cam sprocket bolts loosened causing the timing to get screwed up. or the pistons werent at TDC when the cams were installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ZX10RJoe View Post
I just put my 08 race cam in and aparently I screwed up. I put the cam in and put everything back in time, or so I thought. I turned the motor over by hand to see if anything was going to hit and it turned freely. Well, got everything put back together and started the bike and its makeing a whole lot of noise. Sounds like pistons and valves hitting. I just thought it was weird that I could turn the motor over with no problems and on startup it makes noise... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

it may been just barely touching when cranked by hand but not enough to feel resistance. Now spinning much faster, the impact is louder and more pronounced. Parts tend to grow also as they heat up. Tear it down and make sure your valves are seating and that you didnt bend a valve.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Lightbulb

I have the 08 intake / & stock exhaust in my 1st gen 10 - and changed the degree #'s three times - so ive been in there a bunch - Also had the Camshaft sprocket bolts slip (cause I didnt torque them proper) and even when the Camshaft Sprocket Advanced (which retards the intake cam) as far as it could (cause the bolts slipped) there was no contact between the valves and piston - after we figured out that the bike had lost power due to the slip of the Camshaft sprocket bolts - we checked the degree #'s of the intake and it had slipped to 125.5 on the intake and 102.5 on the exhaust. There was no piston to valve contact and thats with the .45 thin head gasket. SOOOO, I agree with previous comment that either when starting to degree cam in you werent at TDC or cams degreed in way off on both intake and exhaust.
My ADVICE: when cams are placed in the head the Intake should be pointing at about 10 oclock or 1030 and the Exhaust should be pointing 2 oclock / 2:30 - RELATIVE TO THE top of the cylinder head - thats a good start. Hope it helps - keep us updated.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, I haven't had time to tear back into it. I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated on what happened.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

noise

its not hard to make that mistake. jl is right, u can turn a engine over touching lightly and not feel it, then clatter loudly running. if possible, i would ck leakdown before pulling head. also one sure sign of a tweaked or bent valve is noticeable increase in valve lash. i like to scribe my own marks on cam sprockets once correctly timed, seems to help me. u may need to pull head, maybe not, good luck.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, had a couple hours of free time tonight and started back on the bike. I took everything back apart and looked for loose pieces and found a dowel pin from one of the cam caps. It was mashed a little and I thought maybe thats what my noise was. I looked around and didnt find anything else. The lobes aren't hitting the cam caps and everything is fine inside the valve cover. I checked the timing one more time and with the line on the crank lined up in the inspection hole the lobes on the intake sit at 10 and the exhaust at 2. Thats the lobes right next to the sprockets. I put everything back together and fired it up and still making noise. I then pulled the fuel pump power and unplugged all the coils and opened the throttle all the way and just hit the starter to turn the motor over and watched all the valves on the intake side open and close. None of them appear to have hit at all as they are seating nicely. I'm all out of ideas and thinking about taking it somewhere to figure this out.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Cam chain tensioner did you take a look and make sure you have proper tension on the chain?
post #10 of 17 Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiryder89 View Post
Cam chain tensioner did you take a look and make sure you have proper tension on the chain?
yeah, i checked that and still not changing. I'm just going to pull the motor and get it built lol. That's what I wanted to do this winter anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in