Gen 2: 2006-2007 bad fuel pump?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

bad fuel pump??

07 10R, plugs changed about 2000miles ago. been running fine until this morning. Started bike, noticed it sounded like 'marbles' being spun around in tank. Bike started fine, but after idling a min or so i noticed it sounding erratic/stumbling. I let it warm up and go to take off and all she wanted to do was stumble and sputter until i got past 4-4500rpms. Higher rpms she runs fine, under 4000rpm or pulling away from a dead stop she acts like she wants to stall and runs pretty rough. At first I thought i got a tank of bad gas, but wouldnt it act up all thru the rpm range with bad gas? havent had the tank off since changing the plugs (done at a local shop) so im not thinking pinched lines. Any ideas on fuel pump? could the plugs take a shit in 2000 miles??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Plugs after 2k unlikely. The fuel pump has 2 built in fuel filters. They do clog but usually after quite a few k miles. Try draining the tank of gas and put fresh gas in 1st before pulling the pump. Worth a shot.
You didn't fill up while the tanker truck was filling the stations tanks, did you? I clogged my cars fuel filter becAUSE THE TANKER TRUCK STIRS UP ALL THE SHIT AT BOTTOM OF STATION TANKS.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
You didn't fill up while the tanker truck was filling the stations tanks, did you? I clogged my cars fuel filter becAUSE THE TANKER TRUCK STIRS UP ALL THE SHIT AT BOTTOM OF STATION TANKS.
wow, i'll remember that one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

it's not the plugs, not very likely after 2k miles, I don't think it's the pump either, it would get worse with more rpms and more load not opposite
post #5 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

It almost sounds to me like it's dumping too much fuel, and it would clear up with more rpms. Since I just had my tank off I believe it's a returnless fuel system, so there has to be a controller for the fuel pump to keep the same pressure in the fuel rail.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Check for vacuum leaks if they had the air box of off the engine, and do you have a pc3 or anything like that, it could also be going bad.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 04:42 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I bet it's the fuel pressure regulator inside the tank that went bad
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
Plugs after 2k unlikely. The fuel pump has 2 built in fuel filters. They do clog but usually after quite a few k miles. Try draining the tank of gas and put fresh gas in 1st before pulling the pump. Worth a shot.
No..truck wasnt there when I filled up. Ive know others thet got clogged filters due to that one. Bike has about 33xxx miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboytt View Post
Check for vacuum leaks if they had the air box of off the engine, and do you have a pc3 or anything like that, it could also be going bad.
They had the airbox off yea, but like i said, its been a few thousand miles since and its run great til now. I do have a pc3..other than unhooking it, is there another way to check it?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

UPDATE...ok..after checking a few small things..coils on snug, plugs tight, wires hooked to packs, vacuum lines, i fired it up..still having the problem. When bike was at temp..i sprayed each header tube with water...1,3, and 4 steamed and dried instantly..#2 took a sec or 2 to dry. So..i hit each intake with some carb cleaner...1,3 and 4 stumbled and the idle dropped when sprayed, #2 didnt change much rpm at all. I have noticed though...when I first fire up the bike, and put in gear...theres no problem..no hesitation/stumble. Seems to be when it warms up is when the problem comes up....like over 145-150*. Could a plug be bad after only 2000 miles? Possible coil pack? I gave tomorrow off and im planning on switchin the coils between #2 and #3 to see if the problem follows. Any other ideas/suggestions?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM
^^No Bike Bum^^

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to cbolton69
good idea... swap the coils and retest.... if nothing changes, try changing that #2 plug.. if that dont do it maybe the #2 throttle body is having an issue...

good luck.. keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in