Backfire... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Backfire...

I've got an '06 that has back-fired ever since I gutted my cats. I put on the Dan Kyle block-off plates (which didn't have any sort of remedy), and I just got it custom mapped (which helped quite a bit). But I still get a single infrequent 'POP' at around 3000 rpm under decel with the throttle completely closed. Is this an indication that it is running lean??? And would changing the map (either more or less fuel) at 0% throttle remedy this at all????

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-ryder View Post
I've got an '06 that has back-fired ever since I gutted my cats. I put on the Dan Kyle block-off plates (which didn't have any sort of remedy), and I just got it custom mapped (which helped quite a bit). But I still get a single infrequent 'POP' at around 3000 rpm under decel with the throttle completely closed. Is this an indication that it is running lean??? And would changing the map (either more or less fuel) at 0% throttle remedy this at all????
Popping down low is definetly lean on the bottom end. Usually the block off plates will take care of that, but not always. I would add some fuel down low. It should take care of it. Make a little change, then take it for a ride. Do that until it goes away.
post #3 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

In complete stock form the 10 backfires and the reason you don't hear it is due to the cats, OEM canisters etc but its there in a muffled sort of way and when you remove the cats it became more noticable, and when slip-ons are added it becomes even more noticable so its not as critical as one would think.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Throttle butterflies can be too far open on closed throttle, check your idle adjustment and TPS settings.
post #5 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

I was under the impression it was due to a rich condition, not lean, after all it is unburned fuel exiting the exhaust and igniting. My beet system throws umbelievable flames every now and then. If you look at pictures of race bikes you will se some amazing pictures of Zx-10R's and R-1's especially that are throwing huge flames out of the tail pipes.

Some body back me up here, flames and backfiring is a rich condition not lean.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #6 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

OH...forgot to mention...I disabled the exhaust butterfly also. I have always noticed the little pops before, but that didn't bother me. What I am talking about is a single BOOM with a big blue flame coming out of the exhaust. This happens when I am 'taking it easy' on decel. So, where do I want my idle to be? And how do I adjust the Throttle Positioning sensor?? Also, I have heard it both ways .... lean conditions and rich conditions. Anyone know for sure which is correct??? I actually noticed E-Bostroms bike blowing the flame out in this last Laguna superbike race... But again...It only happens in the low RPM's for me.

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
post #7 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
OH...forgot to mention...I disabled the exhaust butterfly also. I have always noticed the little pops before, but that didn't bother me. What I am talking about is a single BOOM with a big blue flame coming out of the exhaust. This happens when I am 'taking it easy' on decel. So, where do I want my idle to be? And how do I adjust the Throttle Positioning sensor?? Also, I have heard it both ways .... lean conditions and rich conditions. Anyone know for sure which is correct??? I actually noticed E-Bostroms bike blowing the flame out in this last Laguna superbike race... But again...It only happens in the low RPM's for me.

Yeah if you notice the race bikes do it comming into the corner while braking coming down wit hthe engine braking. My 04 does it as well. I think it is not much to worry about, just unburned fuel exiting through the exhaust.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #8 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

You can get a lot of unburned fuel from mixtures not igniting under decell, the fuel eventually accumulates in the exhaust giving you a backfire, and a sooty exhaust tip.So in one sense there is too much fuel under closed throttle or there could be a lean spot giving you a missfire and not enough fuel to combust, could be either.

If the TPS isnt set with the PC111 map then you can have too much fuel at closed throttle or sometimes not enough depending upon which part of the map you are in.

Another common occurence is a leaky joint in the exhaust , then the unburned fuel becomes stoich and ignites.

So many variables.
post #9 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Did you also remove the valve? Or just block-off the plates.
I do not know the answer here, but maybe this has something to do with it. I know I have gutted my cat and baffles, but I pulled the valve too, and I have NO back fires ever.

Rubber Side Down!!!
"Read The Signs"

God gave Rock'N Rolll to ya, and Kawasaki too!
post #10 of 42 Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I get the occasional "big one" but not from completely closed throttle on decel about 3000 RPM , but if I look at my PC map I can see why, at 3000RPM at TP 2 I am adding more fuel than stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in