Auxiliary fuel tank - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Auxiliary fuel tank

2007 zx-10

Has anyone ever hooked up an auxiliary fuel tank? I have a fuel cell, and i have it mounted to my rear seat but not sure how i am going to hook it up yet. This will be for my long distance rides.

On the california model there are 2 outlets on the front right of the tank. one is an overflow and the other goes to the kleen system. i figured i would just hook up a line to the tank one each of these barbs and drain some fuel into it and see where it comes out. i think one of them will lead to the drain around the lip of the tank, I'm thinking with the cap closed, it will not be able to drain into the tank.

I guess i really just need to try each and see, but was wondering if anyone has done this before.

Drilling and connecting a bulkhead to the tank is out of the question.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Oh and for now i am planning on having the tank gravity feed. A fuel pump is not out of the question, but not my first choice.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

there must also be a return to the tank, since it is fuel injected. i wonder if the pressure in this will be to high to T into?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to JOSHUAZX10
Don't have many gas stations where you live ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by benonmsn View Post
there must also be a return to the tank, since it is fuel injected. i wonder if the pressure in this will be to high to T into?
nonsense. There is return and returnless style fuel injection. I don't believe the ZX10R, at least the first gen are return style.

If I'm wrong, then I'm a jackass.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Juice, you are not a jackass...lol, it is a returnless system, if you run an auxilliary tank without a pump then it should just feed the main tank and not the pressurised side of the fuel system.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the comment. I did not know it was returnless.

Do you have any suggestions on where to gravity feed the fuel into? such as one of the 2 barbs on the tank for the venting or KLEEN system?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I thought about doing this and here are the issues.

If you are going to fill the bike normally and let the fuel balance out in the tanks you will have to vent the aux tank at the top back to the main tank to allow trapped air to escape.

The aux tank fuel line needs to be as low as possible and run into the bottom of the main tank , there is room on the fuel pump retainer plate to drill a hole and put a bulkhead fitting in.

You cannot vent the aux tank to atmosphere if it is below the level of the main tank otherwise fuel will just run out of it.

You wont have a dry break connection on the aux tank line , so removing the tank will require empting it first unless you install an additional dry break.

If the aux tank is higher than the filler cap on the main tank then you wont fully fill it and you would have to fill the system via the aux tank, if you do this then you cannot open the fuel cap on the main tank as the level is higher than the main tank.

The simpler answer is to run pressurised fuel from the main tank to a substantial auxilliary pressure vessel and then to the fuel rail, however you will need a tank that can stand a minimum of 45PSI pressure and a fuel pump that can cope with maintaining the extra pressurized volume.

Alternatively you have the aux tank almost independant and use a pump to empty it via a line to the top of the main tank and only switch it on when the main tank level is lower than the aux tank.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

the aux fuel tank is higher then the main tank. i was going to turn it "on" with just a petcock valve.
the aux tank is vented
i have a dry break connector that will employ

you didnt really say, but are you saying you cant think of a way to have the aux tank drain via gravity into the main tank? this is assuming the main tank is about empty, then i flip the petcock to on and have it drain someway, somehow into the main tank?

Thanks for the very informative post, i really appreicate the help! I'm really hoping i can make this happen. everyone else i go on long distance rides with can go over 240 miles without a gas stop, i am holding them back and trying to come up with a way to still use my '10 on these trips
post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Custom make a bigger tank. easier.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

The problem is feeding the fuel downhill to the main tank , like I said you will have to feed down to the bottom of the tank via gravity , the vent lines run to the very top of the tank, so you will have to tap into the baseplate of the fuel pump, there is room to do it , you will just have to drill a hole and put a bulkhead fitting in it.

I started work on making a foam model to fit up inside my seat cowl and down into the tool tray , with the extra fuel line and the tank you can get an extra gallon of fuel.

I lost interest.

If you want to use the vent lines then you need a pump to get the fuel uphill and into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in