Arrow half system butterfly delete question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Last edited by Kawi#1; 02-04-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Smile Arrow system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi#1 View Post
I am looking at the Arrow exhaust for my 2007 ZX10R. I like the 'half system' because it deletes the cat and has welded bung.

My question deals with the butterfly valve it also deletes. I understand it is quite easy to simply remove the cables to the valve, but leave the electronic control unit in place to avoid having the FI light illuminate constantly. Easy enough fix...

My bike is 100% stock. I do not want any aftermarket controllers at this point or have the bike dynoed. I am doing the Arrow exhaust for looks & sound only, any performance gains are a added benefit I am happy to have.

Will removing the butterfly valve without adding a fuel controller or custom tune at the same time actually decrease performance or require tuning that wouldnt otherwise be needed if I do only the slip on portion?

Essentially the quick and dirty question is on a otherwise 100% stock 07 ZX10R should I do the slip on or the half system?

I hope that I didnt leave out some important information that is needed for a acurate answer or overcomplicate the question at the same time.

Thanks for your input.
Hey Guy,it's my understanding that changing the exhaust,intake,cat,is going create a lean condition.I would recommend a fuel controller and a good map for those mods.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

Im confused whats a half system??
Im guessing a slip-on?
If so id go with that just a slip on, but most dont eliminate the cat. just the butterfly valve.
the OEM system is header-cat-and y-pipe (which has the valve inside). Most slip-ons eliminate the OEM y-pipe, but some are just mufflers which leave the OEM y-pipe intact.
I think you will be ok with no mapping and a slip-on you will get some popping on decel.

Heres a link but there sold already.
https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67581

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..

Last edited by 06blackpearl; 12-12-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 03:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blackpearl View Post
Im confused whats a half system??
Im guessing a slip-on?
If so id go with that just a slip on, but most dont eliminate the cat. just the butterfly valve.
the OEM system is header-cat-and y-pipe (which has the valve inside). Most slip-ons eliminate the OEM y-pipe, but some are just mufflers which leave the OEM y-pipe intact.
I think you will be ok with no mapping and a slip-on you will get some popping on decel.

Heres a link but there sold already.
https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67581

half system is header back (everything after the header is replaced)

a slip on just replaces the mufflers

most people i know gut there cat .. me included..

so it kinda makes it a half system

i have 7k miles on my bike with gutted cats no servo and slipons and never had a problem (no fuel controller)

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."
post #5 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkramm View Post
half system is header back (everything after the header is replaced)

a slip on just replaces the mufflers

most people i know gut there cat .. me included..

so it kinda makes it a half system

i have 7k miles on my bike with gutted cats no servo and slipons and never had a problem (no fuel controller)

Kool but i always considered it full or slip on cause theres tons of systmes that are slip ons that are cat back.

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi#1 View Post
drkramm,

Can you tell me what you think about your set-up? How much louder was/is it, hows the power band feel compared to stock, etc?

Did the removal of the cat/valve seem to change the power curve (guessing maybe more power in high RPM with small sacrifice in low end rpm power?) or open it up throughout?

Really like to get your thoughts. I agree slip ons with cat/servo delete is all the same essentially no matter how you get there. IE gut the cat or buy the Arrow.
when i had the baffles in the mufflers it wasn't too much louder then stock but with those removed it was noticeably louder but wasn't bad at all under 8-9 grand it was fine above that it started to get loud

im sure there was a power increase but i really didn't notice it if there was other then the sound making me think i was going faster

the vavle is really only there for noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blackpearl View Post
Kool but i always considered it full or slip on cause theres tons of systems that are slip ons that are cat back.
slip ons are just the muffler and if needed a mid pipe but the mid pipe is almost always only included cause theres no way to remove just the muffler .. my 636 was like this the only flange/break in the exhaust is about 2 feet away from the muffler so they need to add a pipe that can connect to both the factory exhaust location and there own pipe

slip on is my yoshi's or any other system that literaly bolts on to the entire factory exhaust (two bros duals, ackro duals etc...)

half system would be something like the single two bros exhaust which bolts on to the cat pipe, or area p's single or ti-force etc..

a full system always has the headers it wouldn't be a full system with out headers

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."

Last edited by drkramm; 12-12-2008 at 04:37 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I started with the half system, It comes with set of cans and y-pipe only that elminates butterfly valve only,mounts right up to stock cat,it does not include cat delete pipe, stock cat remain unless you gutt it. But later you could buy the whole collector set-up to make a full system.

ride or die!::weed :
post #8 of 9 Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I have the Arrow half system exactly as you described, and the bike runs just fine without retuning. I fully expected to need a PCIII because of the cat and butterfly, and I still may put one (or a Bazzaz) on in the future - but my '06 has not needed one.

For perspective, when I did exhaust on my '01 ZX9R, it needed jetting, and exhaust on my '03 ZX6RR required a PCIII to make it run right - but no issues with the Arrow on the 'ten.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
I had the arrow system with the y-pipe for awhile. I had no issues be for the pc3 with the way it ran. I did gut the cat and tune the bike. It made the most difference in the mid-range but not as much up top. So from my experience you may loss a negligible amount of low to mid range if you do not tune the bike. But overall the system works great on a stock bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in