Anyone used an Elka rear shock yet? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Anyone used an Elka rear shock yet?

Just curious to see how the Elka rear shock compares to others. (i.e. Ohlins, Penske, etc...) Going on a 2004 ZX10.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to bulletr1
I've ridden a bike with the Elka shock on it. I think it rode pretty nice. Way better than the stock shock. But I couldn't put out for the Elka shock so I just got the Ohlins spring and put that on the stock shock. I'm pretty happy with that.

PC Frame, Swing Arm, Wheels. Gold Rear Sets, Chrome Heel Guards, Factory Pro. Vel. Stacks, PCIII, K&N Air Filter, Full Akra. Exhaust System, 525 DID Gold MVXZ Chain, HID KIT HI & LOW BEAM (6K), 1/5 Throttle Conversion, Ivan's Block Off Kit,TRE & Servo Elim. Air Box Mod, Stainless Steel Braided Lines, Blue Custom Gauge Panel, InterNatrix Paging Security Sys., Michelin Pilot Powers Tires, Barnett Clutch Springs, Custom In/Ex Cams by Web Cams, Milled Cylinder Head. 173.7RWHP
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

my bud has an elka on his 07 gsxr1000 and loves it. he had a penske first, had so-so results. his elka is much better, he says. i've no personal experince wth it, just going off what he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
You might want to research getting parts for it if you ever need to rebuild or update it. It doesn't happen often, but it is nice to know how available stuff is. Nothing against Elka since I've heard nothing but good things, and since I work for a dealer I have limited options to look for if I want dealer pricing... but just something to keep in mind.

That's probably why I'd personally go with Ohlins or Penske - lots of established support out there already.

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!

Last edited by SalKhan; 07-31-2007 at 11:00 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Elka was the first aftermarket shock I have tried on the 10 and it was a night and day differance. I had it ravalved and resprung for my weight and riding style etc. with very good results. Bike hooks up a lot better and is very compliant, had to relearn the bike as my overall rear grip increased (bike before with OEM shock was too stiff and would break traction a lot easier). The guy that did all the work on the suspension for me even preferred Elkas as they were easier to setup and get dialled in. He also thought that Elka and Ohlins were the only rear aftermarket shocks worth installing before you start spending really big money on serious race kit suspension. I would say almost any rear shock though would be a good improvement over stock, just depends how much money you want to spend. Me I picked up an Elka Triple on Ebay for $650 in Austrlalia, they retail here for $1895, so I was very happy with my money spent.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Elka makes lotsa sense for us Canucks since they're locally made. A lot of the amateur racers here (i.e. those who are paying their own way!) are using Elka. Parts availability is obviously not a problem for us ...

for what it's worth I know Jeff Williams who is the rider in this picture: http://www.elkasuspension.com/road/index.html

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Posting Frequency

had a elka 2 way put on my 04. These can be ordered with spring to suit your weight whereas ohlins come with standard spring. There are limitations to the rebound damping but these can only really be found on track and I'm told a re valve can sort this. Overall for the money its hard to find better and I'm happy. Its not easy to deal with over 160 bhp (tuned) with revised gering on a bumpy road. Many of the 04 handling problems are down to the shock. You will not be disapointed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in