you might want to reconsider:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html
the stuff eats aluminum and gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Interesting- i have a 01 2500hd silverado and looks like i'll be flushing the dex-cool out of that when i get back; i wonder why the cars seem to be affected more than the trucks/suv's...
post #3 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It's been known to eat intake/head gaskets for quite some time. I'm not sure if it was implemented without updating the gasket material or if it's just chemistry. The reason GM uses/used it was to uphold their "don't have to open the hood except for oil changes till 100k" goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It's bad news for trucks too. My 04 S10 ZR2 blew it's intake/head gaskets around 110k.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

who would be stupid enough to put that shit in theire bike?lol.I work with that stuff every day.Its not made for bikes.In cars and trucks its fine when youre vehicle doesnt have any coolant leaks.If it does and you add water to the cooling system it ruins the balance of the dexi-cool and it can become corrosive.It can also become mississippi mud clogging youre cooling system from the radiator to the heater core.the intakes leaking on the cars usally the 3.8,3.1,3.4 liter engines are just gaskets that can also leak oil.a good way to see if youre intake gasket is leaking internally is to look in the coolant overflow bottle.if there is any sighns of oily type coolant in it its probably leaking.get the gaskets replaced and flushe the coolant system.

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT

Last edited by green10; 06-16-2010 at 08:00 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgas View Post
It's bad news for trucks too. My 04 S10 ZR2 blew it's intake/head gaskets around 110k.
On my 98 z71 i had 150K+ w/o any problems- but maybe fastgas can explain some more
post #7 of 15 Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I use Volkswagen G12 coolant in everything I own ... No deposits, no corrosion visible after years.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I use Volkswagen G12 coolant in everything I own ... No deposits, no corrosion visible after years.
Is that similar to dexcool?
post #9 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to 06BLK10R Send a message via Yahoo to 06BLK10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by green10 View Post
who would be stupid enough to put that shit in theire bike?lol.I work with that stuff every day.Its not made for bikes.In cars and trucks its fine when youre vehicle doesnt have any coolant leaks.If it does and you add water to the cooling system it ruins the balance of the dexi-cool and it can become corrosive.It can also become mississippi mud clogging youre cooling system from the radiator to the heater core.the intakes leaking on the cars usally the 3.8,3.1,3.4 liter engines are just gaskets that can also leak oil.a good way to see if youre intake gasket is leaking internally is to look in the coolant overflow bottle.if there is any sighns of oily type coolant in it its probably leaking.get the gaskets replaced and flushe the coolant system.

Worked at a GM dealer for over 20 yrs ive seen alot of Vehicles have to b flushed cause of that crap, S10's were the worse they get an air leak yup its over with.lol They even had a process to flush the system cause of that problem then green coolant put back in, but still had some issues even the flush process GM had still didnt clean the entire system! We were replacing radiators & heater cores daily.
Most vehicles if new enough you can flush the Dexcool out & put green in & your good to go.

I RUN GOOD OLE KAWI ALUMACOOL!

LIFE IS 2 SHORT SO LIVE IT TO YOUR FULLEST........
2006 BLACK ZX 10R
Akra CF Exhst,stomp grip,Attack rear sets, CZ Anodized Blk wheels,Power bronze rear hugger,Pwr Cmdr,Hel braided Brake lines,Puig sliders,Puig Windscreen,Kawi seat cowl,520 Chain Conversion.
2001 GSXR 600 RACE BIKE

------------------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/ninjapat66
http://bloxstarzlifestyle.com
post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

what do you mean by "new enough" 06blk10r??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in