Anyone measured the "deck height" on a ZX10R - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Anyone measured the "deck height" on a ZX10R

I am curios to know if anyone has measured the deck height on a stock ZX10R. I recognize production tolerances vary but I was hoping someone who has had their motor apart or at least the head off can tell me what the stock deck height is.

I have not yet measured one for myself but am trying to calculate in advance which of the "thin" head gaskets I will be purchasing.

I also ordered the race intake cam but held off on ordering the exhaust. 2 concerns here. Most people it seems are only ordering the intake and I am afraid it may be no longer available, and if I ordered the exhaust also and received only that cam, but never the intake thats a waste of money.

Kawasaki on buykawasaki.com does not even list these cams as available race parts for the 07 model (04,05,06 only) which leaves me to believe they are not going to make any more. The question is are there still any in the pipeline? Will know in a couple of days.

If I get the intake cam then Im going to order the springs for the exhaust cam. If I get the springs, then I am going to order the exhaust cam. Does this make sense?

Next question? Has anyone measured or does anyone know what the thickness is of the STOCK head gasket?

If I knew these 2 questions I could guess very close as to which "thin" gasket I would want to run and then could purchase just that one of the 3 choices.

I am looking for .035" of squish. I dont like running 13,000 RPM engines any tighter than .035.

As an example most of the old ZX7's and 9's came from the factory with a negative -.005 deck height. Added to that of a stock headgasket of .030 and you were already spot on from the factory .035 piston to head clearnace or what some refer to as squish, or quench clearance.

I tried running some ZX7's at .030 measured squish and could tell very tiny signs of the pistons hitting the head. .030 is to tight in my opinion.

Kawasaki is selling head gaskets much thinnner than .030", so therefore the deck height must be negative. Not sure I like that design because if a .50MM gasket will work, you only have .020" of clearance with a 0 deck height.

Thanks,

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Not sure about all the measurements you are asking for, but I wouldn't suggest getting the exhaust cam. I've heard that it takes away from the power increase of the race intake cam. People usually end up ditching the exhaust cam and going back stock in combination with the race intake.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

It would be hard to determine how much quench you would need without realtime data , the quench determines the charge turbulence in the combustion chamber , although it is related to cylinder head clearance it is not designed to be a tolerance factor but a performance and tolerance one.

Last edited by FAF; 05-09-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I would think, due to the relatively small masses involved with a 250 cc cylinder, rod stretch and piston growth are very minimal, the only factor I could see is how much piston rock you would get at TDC and how much carbon build up you will get , I would say that 0.25mm - 0.35mm would be safe for a modern engine, so long as the burn is clean.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
I would think, due to the relatively small masses involved with a 250 cc cylinder, rod stretch and piston growth are very minimal, the only factor I could see is how much piston rock you would get at TDC and how much carbon build up you will get , I would say that 0.25mm - 0.35mm would be safe for a modern engine, so long as the burn is clean.
<<<the only factor I could see is how much piston rock you would get at TDC>>>

This I agree with and measure using a deck height bridge. Basically this is the measurement I was wondering if anyone made. How high up the piston is at TDC when rocking it. Is it below the top of the block, flush with the top of the block, or god forbid coming up above the top of the block and by how much. I guess no one is actually measuring this but just putting the thinner gaskets on and taking it on faith.

Top Fuel dragsters that use Aluminium rods that strecth a lot run a lot more clearance than we have to.

If anyone in the Atlanta Goeriga area plans to take their head off anytime soon I would love to come by and make this measurement as it will be a few months B 4 I get to it on mine.

It appears the "intake" cam I ordered is on back order. May never get it. Glad I didn't order the exhaust cam. I bet they got plenty of those. Would be a bummer for it to arrive and never get the intake. Complete waste.

JJ
post #6 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I would think that you're more concerned about piston to valve clearance than deck height?
post #7 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
I would think that you're more concerned about piston to valve clearance than deck height?
Not concerned about piston to valve clearance. I am concerned about piston to head clearance. That is made up of 2 factors, deck height, and thickness of head gasket. I know what the published thickness of the varying "thin" head gaskets are, but not what the deck height is of the stock engine. I was hoping someone had measured that. I guess not. It appears that people are just putting on the "thin" head gaskets and taking it on faith.

I was also curios if anyone has measured a stock head gasket thickness after replacing it.

JJ
post #8 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
I wish i saw this a few days ago, i had a block on the work bench.

I would stay far away from the race exhaust cam by the way. I lost 7hp with that hunk of junk, its a smaller cam profile than stock exhaust. Just stick with stock exhaust and race intake and a .45 head gasket, works great together.

mabey call this place and see if they have cams in stock. they should be off back order, we have one comin into the shop within a day or two.

check this site. https://www.rickroushaccessories.com/store/index.php
post #9 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
I wish i saw this a few days ago, i had a block on the work bench.

I would stay far away from the race exhaust cam by the way. I lost 7hp with that hunk of junk, its a smaller cam profile than stock exhaust. Just stick with stock exhaust and race intake and a .45 head gasket, works great together.

mabey call this place and see if they have cams in stock. they should be off back order, we have one comin into the shop within a day or two.

check this site. https://www.rickroushaccessories.com/store/index.php

<<<its a smaller cam profile than stock exhaust.>>>

If it is a smaller profile than stock, then why do they recommend different valve springs for the exhaust, but not for the intake cam? Any ideas on that?

JJ
post #10 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

post count +1 beeotches!!!

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in