Anyone add a second fan to your Gen 1? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to BornSinner
Anyone add a second fan to your Gen 1?

Checking to see if anyone has hooked up a second fan on your Gen 1? I was working on my friends 08 CBR 1000rr and I noticed that they use two fans. My Gen 1 seems to run a bit warm, so I was reaching out to the board to see if anyone has done this yet. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

yes its been done and there is even a how-to with pics on here.....do a little search
post #3 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

get samco hoses if you don't already everybody says they help lower temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg0987 View Post
get samco hoses if you don't already everybody says they help lower temps.
Just curious, what is the difference in the hoses? how do hoses make temps drop?
post #5 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I would use WaterWetter or equivalent...lowers temp 10-20 degrees.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 07:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLYN13000 View Post
Just curious, what is the difference in the hoses? how do hoses make temps drop?

Doesn't make sense to me. It's not like Samco's have fins. Maybe they just insulate less than stock? Flow better? Anyone know for sure?
post #7 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1000 View Post
I would use WaterWetter or equivalent...lowers temp 10-20 degrees.
engine ice works great as well....i can't see spending $190 on aftermarket "colored" hoses when i can drop $40 on coolant that i know for a fact will drop temps by at least 10-15 degrees even here in the humid ass Houston heat!!!!! the 2nd fan is a fairly easy and straight forward add on, i had mine hooked up to a switch so i could turn it on at stops...worked GREAT!!!!!
post #8 of 21 Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If you're worried about temps when cruising town, which is what most people complain about the second fan or even just a manual switch on the original fan will help. But don't waste your time and money on aftermarket hoses, WaterWetter, and all the expensive coolants that come out because none of them do anything in that situation.

I use distilled water and WaterWetter in my trackbikes because it's required. It doesn't make it run any cooler, especially 10-20 degrees. I tried EngineIce a few years ago on the street and it did nothing but make my wallet $40 lighter. I've never used the hoses because the plain old black ones that come attached are perfectly fine with me so I can't say for a fact that they don't do anything but like ted mentioned, unless they are made by magical elves they are just hoses. Brightly colored hoses, but still just hoses.

Sportbike engines make a ton of power for their size and that results in a lot of heat. On top of that sportbike cooling systems are designed to be barely adequate and most effective when the bike is in motion. That means there is pretty much nothing you can do to lower the temps that your bike runs.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The hoses conduct heat better from what i understand so it gives the cooling system a little more surface area to dissipate the heat. Now it might make 1 or 2* i dont see it doing much more. They look cool though.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastone View Post
If you're worried about temps when cruising town, which is what most people complain about the second fan or even just a manual switch on the original fan will help. But don't waste your time and money on aftermarket hoses, WaterWetter, and all the expensive coolants that come out because none of them do anything in that situation.

I use distilled water and WaterWetter in my trackbikes because it's required. It doesn't make it run any cooler, especially 10-20 degrees. I tried EngineIce a few years ago on the street and it did nothing but make my wallet $40 lighter. I've never used the hoses because the plain old black ones that come attached are perfectly fine with me so I can't say for a fact that they don't do anything but like ted mentioned, unless they are made by magical elves they are just hoses. Brightly colored hoses, but still just hoses.

Sportbike engines make a ton of power for their size and that results in a lot of heat. On top of that sportbike cooling systems are designed to be barely adequate and most effective when the bike is in motion. That means there is pretty much nothing you can do to lower the temps that your bike runs.
phastone is right or at least what I experienced...like phastone I experienced no significant decrease no matter what I tried and yes even the manual switch. What most don't realize is once the FAN comes on it's too late your bike is running hot but not in a bad way if it cools down after that or at least holds steady..the problem it seems with some 10Rs is sensors, thermostats, bleeding, or water pump...I hope to find out myself this year which one is the main culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in