Any weak points we should address during engine rebuild? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Any weak points we should address during engine rebuild?

We'll be rebuilding an 04-05 engine for my race car soon and I'd like to do whatever I can to help it live a long life. Just wondering if people have suggestions for things we should do/replace/watch out for.

I'm aware of the early 04 generator problems.

How are things like valve springs and other valve train parts? We'll probably install new valves (I dropped a valve in my last engine - would like to avoid that again. :-). My rules require stock internals, so I wont be running high lift cams or high compression. I might, however, consider other parts if Kawasaki's have had problems.

How about transmission parts?

Thanks in advance.

RussMcB
F1000 (SCCA Formula Car w/ '07 ZX-10R engine) - Sold in 2010 :-(
'99 ZRX1100
Marietta, GA USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

dont forget about the retainers.. Mine were bad and broken.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
well for the trans you can get it sent out to R&D motorsports and get them to undercut the trans for you, they also magnaflux the all gears and shafts to see if they have cracks... they also have billet shift shafts, while your in there you should replace the shift forks though or well inspect them and see if there is any wear other then where they should be contacting the gears....

I've been inside alot of 10rs and the only thing i have seen fail really valve spring retainers..... carpenter sells a kit with springs and retainers for almost 400 bux, i know its a bit but it is very good insurance.... if not you can buy just the retainers but they are about 200 bucks....

maybe run a manual cam chain tensioner since i have seen those fail quite a few times.... not damaging anything just making noise......

I havent seen any really bad valve issues really but I do know that someone makes stainless valves....

just my .$02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 02:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What are you allowed to do to the motor. That's the question. Do a little rule bending

You can bump compression without pistons
post #5 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline659 View Post
What are you allowed to do to the motor. That's the question. Do a little rule bending

You can bump compression without pistons
We can do external mods, such as PC, intake, exhaust. The engine's internals must remain stock. We have been running the thin head gasket, but I don't feel too guilty about that little bit of rule bending. It's a Kaw part, and I'm still well short of the HP that front runners are making. Several guys have 07-08 GSXR engines built by professional racing engine builders. They do dyno tuning, etc. I had hoped to at least have a Power Commander by now, but have had to spend my money on other things.

My main goal now is reliability and longevity. I just want to drive. I'm tired of working on this car and not being able to enjoy it.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
I've been inside alot of 10rs and the only thing i have seen fail really valve spring retainers..... carpenter sells a kit with springs and retainers for almost 400 bux, i know its a bit but it is very good insurance.... if not you can buy just the retainers but they are about 200 bucks....
Who is "carpenter"?

I might be willing to spend that money, especially if it means reliable parts, and they can be reused if needed.

Quote:
maybe run a manual cam chain tensioner since i have seen those fail quite a few times.... not damaging anything just making noise......
I've considered that, even though it's not legal. I doubt any competitors would mind or protest. One thing keeping me from that is I wasn't sure if my manual tensioning would be better than Kaw's automatic tensioning. :-).

Quote:
I haven't seen any really bad valve issues really but I do know that someone makes stainless valves....

just my .$02
How much are stainless valves (ball park)? I just bought some new Kaw titanium exhaust valves from a ZX10R.net member (Thanks, Dean). Maybe stainless intake valves would be an additional improvement?

I appreciate the responses. Thanks, guys.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
the intakes are not Ti but i dont think they are SS??? not sure to be honest.... I know Ferrera I think is the one who makes valves and one other guy, I'll find out, dont know exactly how much

Carpenter racing http://www.carpenterracing.com/ they have the springs and retainers, i can get them for you as well.....

he cam chain tensioner does work well but they do jam and get noisy.... if anythign just make sure shes working good :-D
post #8 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Russ are you running a dry sump system?
post #9 of 17 Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
Russ are you running a dry sump system?
Yes, and it works pretty well. I shimmed the oil pressure relief spring earlier this year and have since had a steady 60 lb. of pressure according to the data.

I did hear about something interesting recently. You know how the stock Kawasaki oil pressure relief valve dumps oil into the pan? Well, some racer was experiencing a down-on-power issue during certain circumstances and traced it to too much oil for the scavenge pump to keep up with the volume. His clever solution was to block off the stock relief valve and relocate it to outside the engine - in the remote oil tank (via -8AN line).

I'm considering that mod but hesitating because I don't want to dump uncooled oil into the remote tank. In our race cars we are battling high oil temps. Mine is under control now but this mod would be a step backwards. I'm trying to think of a way to plumb it so the bypassed oil is routed through an oil cooler.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-17-2008, 07:17 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I have seen the issue you describe a lot with dry sumps under or over working , one in particular was a Dallara 2 seater with a very poor engine fit, the sump was so bad that eventually it would overfill and then cause serious frothing problems from windage , there was no seperator in the tank and although the oil would seem to run cool , it was so full of air that the engine used to destroy itself after one weekend.

I dont think there is anything wrong with uncooled oil in the tank especially a high capacity one, if its located correctly it would be the best oil cooler you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in