Am I an idiot or is my master cyl screwed? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to CurtZX
Am I an idiot or is my master cyl screwed?

Bought a 636 Master Cyl used out of the states a couple of weeks ago for my 10R.. I am putting lines with the system as well as pads..

My question is.. I got everything hooked up, and dumped in the first batch of brake fluid into the resevoir.. Hooked up the brake vaccum and proceeded to start to pump.. Nothing would happen. I unscrewed the bleeder valve on the top of the master to see if I had vacuum, and I sure did.. Lots of it! Started pumping the brake to see if it would grab fluid from the resevoir that way.. No dice..

Pulled apart the master and took off the resevoir to see if it is sucking ANYTHING in whenever I squeeze the brake.. Nothing at all..

What do you guys think? Am I just a brake idiot, or is my 'new' master that was hard as hell to come by screwed!

Thanks!

Curt
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You have to get the master full of fluid first (prime the master). I hooked the mityvac to my bleeder on the master first and pulled fluid thru, then squeezed the resevoir tube numerous times to get all the air out of the tube. Squeezing the resevoir tube gets alot of bubbles out right away. Once I figured the master was full, I mityvac'd from the calipers and pulled the fluid through both sides, while keeping the resevoir topped off to avoid pulling more air in. I could feel the lever begin to stiffen up now. Watch for air coming in around the bleeder screw threads while cracked open. Make sure all the bleeders are tight except for the one you are working on. After all this I took a ride and did a little bit of old fashined squeeze the lever bleeding to get the last of the air out. It kicks a$$ now.

Steve
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i thought my brembo was a dud when i first bled it...just keep a pumpin (the lever that is) and she'll come good

Once i thought more than two strokes was masturbation. Now I realise that 4 feel better, and who am I to argue with my feelings.

05 Black/white road/track zx-10r. Race fairings with stock headlight custom blinkers, Brembo MC, HEL braided lines, Toby dampner, Mustard Block-off plates, plugged airbox, Mustard Heel guards, Mustard Ram-air tube support, custom flip-up rear fender eliminator, custom rear fender, custom seat cowl, corsa 111's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 03:43 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You first need to prime and let gravity do some of the work.

I've found filling the reservoir with fluid and attaching a line to the bleeder that is immersed in a jar of brake fluid works the best. This way you push the air out through clean fluid and any mistaken draw back into the master cylinder is the heavier fluid and not air (if my description makes sense).

Dress for the slide & not the ride
post #5 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for all your help.. I guess I will give it another go here after work.. So what you are saying then is if I put the vacuum pump up to the bleeder screw (with the res full and the lines all hooked up etc) it should draw the fluid down the res, into the master, then I can close off the bleeder and proceed to take the fluid down from the calipers?

Curt
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtZX View Post
Thanks for all your help.. I guess I will give it another go here after work.. So what you are saying then is if I put the vacuum pump up to the bleeder screw (with the res full and the lines all hooked up etc) it should draw the fluid down the res, into the master, then I can close off the bleeder and proceed to take the fluid down from the calipers?
Yep, and don't forget to squeeze the resevoir tube to get air out aswell. Actually, if you put the mity on the caliper bleeder and crack it open, fill the resevoir, and keep everything else closed, the fluid should still get pulled down through the line. Be patient. Air rises to the top, so after you think you have a firm lever, just crack everything for a second the next morning you should be able to get all air out

Steve
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Ti10 View Post
Yep, and don't forget to squeeze the resevoir tube to get air out aswell. Actually, if you put the mity on the caliper bleeder and crack it open, fill the resevoir, and keep everything else closed, the fluid should still get pulled down through the line. Be patient. Air rises to the top, so after you think you have a firm lever, just crack everything for a second the next morning you should be able to get all air out
Thanks a lot for the help.. I was hooking the vac to the caliper directly but it just wasnt pulling the fluid through.. I suppose after I 'prime' the system using the bleeder on the m/c it should create enough vacuum for me to hook the mity up to the caliper and do it that way.

Curt
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

just for giggles do a manual bleed starting with both calipers & then MC the day after you've taken a decent ride.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2007, 09:59 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Gravity bleed to get fluid in the system works awesome for me, takes a bit longer but works well.
________
YAMAHA MT-100 SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by ninja44; 04-21-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in