Akro Evo system - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Akro Evo system

My bike has a full evolution system and PC 3 fitted and the last owner had it set up on a dyno and the bike pulls strong with no flat spots.

However in around town on a closed throttle it bangs and pops just over 3k revs. I haven't had a full system on a bike before so is this fairly normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

First off I would check to see if the KLEEN air has been blocked off. I would assume that it has been if the bike has been tuned on the dyno, but I've seen stranger things. The other thing to look at is leaks in the exhaust system. The Akro doesn't use any clamps to hold it together, just springs. It is possible that your exhaust has flexed or was never slid together just right and is sucking air on deceleration causing the pop. If you have to you can get some sealant from Akro, or from the parts store, and slip all the joints apart and put alittle sealant around them and slide them back together. This should stop any exhaust leaks.

If it's not the KLEEN air system, or the exhaust, then I would start checking your PC map.

green 10r, Akro EVO 2, Hyperpro rsc, tre, pcIII, Puig DB, K&N, Purvision HIDs, Speedohealer, GONE

08 Ducati Hypermotard S GONE

08 Kawi Concours 14, Area P full sys, PCV, Flies out
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry to sound like a dope,but what is the 'Kleen' air system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry, it's like an emission air pump. It pulls clean air out of the air box and pumps it into the exhaust to dilute the "mixture" so it will pass an emissions test. If if is still hooked up it will throw the exhaust reading off when it is getting dyno tuned and the map won't be right. Also with a free flowing exhaust it will give decell popping and backfiring. You can buy block-off plates that will bolt on top of the exhaust side of the cylinder head or you can go cheap and buy some vacumme caps disconnet and plug the system. Bad part is I don't think you will be able to see them to know for sure if it has been done unless you pull the gas tank and air box off. Hope that helps.

green 10r, Akro EVO 2, Hyperpro rsc, tre, pcIII, Puig DB, K&N, Purvision HIDs, Speedohealer, GONE

post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Sorry, it's like an emission air pump. It pulls clean air out of the air box and pumps it into the exhaust to dilute the "mixture" so it will pass an emissions test. If if is still hooked up it will throw the exhaust reading off when it is getting dyno tuned and the map won't be right. Also with a free flowing exhaust it will give decell popping and backfiring. You can buy block-off plates that will bolt on top of the exhaust side of the cylinder head or you can go cheap and buy some vacumme caps disconnet and plug the system. Bad part is I don't think you will be able to see them to know for sure if it has been done unless you pull the gas tank and air box off. Hope that helps.
Ah,ta for the answer,my bike is a European model so it doesn't have any of the non pollution gubbins. I'll give the system another good check to see if anything is loose,if not then try some sealant.

I hear some race bikes making the same noise as mine on a closed throttle when braking for a slow corner,I take it there should be no popping at all on a road bike?

Last edited by Skub; 05-14-2007 at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The popping doesn't mean that something is wrong with your bike, it can just be annoying. On some bikes it can't be fixed. The zx14 for example has a terrible problem with the decel pop at about 3k and not too many people are having any luck tuning it out. You just live with it or pull in the clutch before your bike gets to that rpm on decelleration. On the 10r however, you should be able to get it to quit.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

Do all U.S. models have the Kleen system or is that just for california models?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmond Burke (1729-1797)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It is probably there, easiest way to block it is to put a piece of hose in between the 2 reed type valves, on top of the cam cover.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 AM

Posting Frequency

Popping on decel can be fixed with some tuning of the PC3. you say it happens at 3k...is that when you come down from a higher RPM, then you get the pop at 3k, or is it close the throttle at 3.4-4k and get a pop? We had a customer who's bike was shooting flames with the "correct" map from Dynojet. His was when you closed the throttle from higher RPMs, but would only pop at 3.5-4k. A little leaning out of the fuel table at 0% to 5% fixed that right up.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawtipping View Post
Popping on decel can be fixed with some tuning of the PC3. you say it happens at 3k...is that when you come down from a higher RPM, then you get the pop at 3k, or is it close the throttle at 3.4-4k and get a pop? We had a customer who's bike was shooting flames with the "correct" map from Dynojet. His was when you closed the throttle from higher RPMs, but would only pop at 3.5-4k. A little leaning out of the fuel table at 0% to 5% fixed that right up.

If I close the throttle at any rpm over 3k the note is lovely until the revs descend to 3k then it will pop.

I worked at the pipes today and did my best to make sure everthing was seated well and it seems to have helped,just a slight 'fluff' as the revs pass 3k. Nowhere as annoying as before.

I'll see how it goes over the next few days,but it's good to know the PC can dial this out if need be.

I appreciate all your input lads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in