Akra Slip-on Exhaust Problem - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Akra Slip-on Exhaust Problem

I am a beginner so this might sound dumb, but I am having problems installing the slip on exhaust for my '05. I've searched, but haven't found anything.

Everything is fine except for one thing...the backet Akra sends with the kit that mounts at the header to hook the spring onto the mid pipe. I removed the screw the instructions said to remove (Red Arrow), but when you try to install the bracket behind the rubber washer, there's a part of the header that gets in the way (Small yellow arrow). It's a welded triangle support. When I put the little bracket in the place the instructions tell me to, it won't let me tighten down the screw correctly. It's hard to explain, but I know someone with the exhaust might know what I am talking about.

Again I am new to bikes, so this could be a stupid post. That bracket might not even be for my year Zx10, but the instructions say for 04-05.

I can't find my camera cord to load pictures, this is the best I can do using someone else's...as soon as I can get better pictures I will.

Also, if I can't figure this out, would it be safe to run the exhaust without the spring attaching the midpipe to the header. Is the clamp enough? Right now it looks like this...clamped down obviously but not using the spring.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	akraissue.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	57370  
Attached Images

Last edited by Tweek218; 01-27-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

yea a couple members mentioned this awhile back but yes the dogbone like brkt is for your bike so no worries. I know the exact issue your having and if my feeble memory serves me i recall bending it outward (away from pipe) in order to get by the support and it worked fine but don't quote me on this.
you could go without it as the clamp and the rear passenger peg brkt is enough to secure it.

BD

post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have had mine off for a while. I left it off when I installed it and it is just fine without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys. Yeah my friend said why don't I just bend the bracket. It's hard to explain without looking at it, but even bending it I still can't see how it would work. When I get it positioned the way the directions say to, the bracket prys the header away from the part of the frame it attaches to. I can't get everything to fit against each other flush. Big daddy, do you still have the bike? If you get a chance can you take a picture of how you did it. Or if anyone else can take a picture of what they did, that would help too. Thanks again.

Otherwise I'll just use the clamp. The stock muffler was only held on by a clamp, so like you said I'm sure that will do.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek218 View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah my friend said why don't I just bend the bracket. It's hard to explain without looking at it, but even bending it I still can't see how it would work. When I get it positioned the way the directions say to, the bracket prys the header away from the part of the frame it attaches to. I can't get everything to fit against each other flush. Big daddy, do you still have the bike? If you get a chance can you take a picture of how you did it. Or if anyone else can take a picture of what they did, that would help too. Thanks again.

Otherwise I'll just use the clamp. The stock muffler was only held on by a clamp, so like you said I'm sure that will do.
i no longer have my 04(which apparently is diff) so i'm of no help here.

Is it possible to shim it outward to gain the necessary space to bypass it??

BD

post #6 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Here's a better picture showing what I mean...

They say to install the bracket behind the round washer (Red Arrow), but the part with the yellow arrow is blocking it. I don't think bending it will work, because then the header and frame won't line up flush to be able to be tightened down by the bolt. Because of the high tension of the spring, shouldn't the bracket be straight too?...eh I don't know. If anyone can give me some info that would be great, if not I just won't use that spring. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	57381   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust2.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	57382  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to b_silva2000
i have ur solution...eating. post up pics in 10 mins
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to b_silva2000
here we go...this is what i did with mine. No bending. This was the only combination that worked
Attached Images

post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Posting Frequency

I actually ran mine without the little t bone for a while for some reason. Like BD said it's really not necassary, the hanger and the clamp are enough to hold it on. If you can get it to work fine, but don't strees if you can't.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

I think I just flipped the bracket thing around. Seems to work fine for me. Or maybe I did the same as b_silva2000.... I'll check tomorrow... But by then you'll have probably come up with your own solution.

Good luck and enjoy the pipe. It'll sound a bit better after a few miles loosen it up.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in