Gen 3: 2008-2010 Afr - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 Unread 04-18-2019, 06:10 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It's time for my weekly question about: what should I be doing now?
Todays question is about spark plugs. With running oxygenated fuel and injecting nitrous, what spark plug change, if any, would y'all recommend?

I'm currently running the recommended iridium plug. Not sure of the number or brand since it's been 2 years since I've changed them.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
Flashed ECU, PC5,WBC, custom shift light, shifter w/co2, side winder, BMC race, lowered, stretched,-2/+4, velocity stacks, little spray, nos mini.....
MORE TO COME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Unread 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Depends on how much nitrous... with a bigger shot/longer distances you may want to go a step colder, but I've never heard much chatter about it outside of forced induction. I ran stock plugs outside of anything with boost and never had any problems.... but I'm not the expert there for sure. :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #23 of 33 Unread 04-18-2019, 11:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
Depends on how much nitrous... with a bigger shot/longer distances you may want to go a step colder, but I've never heard much chatter about it outside of forced induction. I ran stock plugs outside of anything with boost and never had any problems.... but I'm not the expert there for sure. :)
Neither have i (nor am i a expert), Medics question still made me curious though. Wondering what the difference is between a cooled boost from an intercooler and a big cold shot of nitrous??

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Unread 04-18-2019, 12:08 PM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

stk CR9EIA-9 works well on 30 shot with good tune. no problems with plugs u have.
post #25 of 33 Unread 04-18-2019, 05:55 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Neither have i (nor am i a expert), Medics question still made me curious though. Wondering what the difference is between a cooled boost from an intercooler and a big cold shot of nitrous??
It has more to do with the overall cylinder pressure (added HP). lower intake temps help, but it's more about what's going on in the combustion chamber.

It's not as common to see people running a shit ton of spray compared to boost, at least in my little corner of the world. If someone was spraying a 150 shot (as much as I were increasing with boost), I'd highly recommend a colder plug. And a stainless steel jock strap. Cause that shit would be nuts.
gaz likes this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #26 of 33 Unread 05-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not going to be anywhere near 150 shot with this setup. Perhaps in the future with a different bike. I race with busa guys running anywhere from 100-250 shot.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
Flashed ECU, PC5,WBC, custom shift light, shifter w/co2, side winder, BMC race, lowered, stretched,-2/+4, velocity stacks, little spray, nos mini.....
MORE TO COME
post #27 of 33 Unread 05-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I tried a different fuel last weekend with spray, didn't like it at all. I used VP T4, 100 octane 4% oxygenated. I adjusted my map and such and it still was slow to pick up. Much better result with MR12.
Just ordered a pail of q16. From what i've read it's designed for nitrous use and safe against pre-detonation. Oxygenated as well.
A friend runs it in his gen 2 busa with a 60 shot with great results. I figured since my CR is a bit higher than his, it'll work out just fine. I can always step up the jetting as well since i should be safe with that octane.

Thoughts?
theatiss likes this.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
MORE TO COME
post #28 of 33 Unread 05-23-2019, 07:55 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

we tune on q16 at times. it's safe fuel on 50-60 shot and and eliminates need to pull timing. ultrasafe on 30-40 shot, on motor about 3 hp less than mr12, so no big loss on motor. keep in mind it's all in the tune and how u set up your nitrous delivery. up ur gearing some, cut back on ramp time and up start percentage with the mini. when u start spraying about 25 up bringing in nitrous as quickley as possible u will get fast. also dont leave any oxygenated fuel in bike, does more than harm pump/injectors, had a few heads latley guys leaving oxy fuel in tank, running old oxy fuels with valve seats/valves destroyed by combustion deposits from these fuels. combustion deposits rock like, very hard/brittle, even pits combustion chambers, valves, seats and ex ports. no problem at all with these fuels tho using as should be. nitrous slow to come in, fueling/delivery programming/bottle pressure issue.
SpazOnaZX likes this.

Last edited by gaz; 05-23-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #29 of 33 Unread 05-24-2019, 03:13 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Ever since I started using the oxy fuels, I've made a point to drain my tank and pump pump premium in it and run it before it goes back in the garage. At the track, i'll leave the oxy fuel in for the weekend.
i'm going to do more testing with the tuner next Friday. I've left the activation rpm at 5600 and upped it to 60% start with 1 second ramp. I'll drop the ramp to 0.5 and see what that's like. From there i'll probably increase to the next jet, which is a 20 shot and run q16.
I'll be a little disappointed if I don't a 8.90 at the next test day.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
MORE TO COME
post #30 of 33 Unread 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, after testing last friday it was disappointment for the win. 1st hit on the track, bottle pressure was too high, which froze the solenoid open and blew my jet feed line apart. Luckily no harm to the motor or bike, just wasted a bottle of nitrous and about 12"s of poly line. Got the system back together and working but I didn't have a mother bottle to fill the small one.

I'll try again this week.

'08 10R, Lime/Black
MORE TO COME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in