Adjusting Gilles rear sets? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Adjusting Gilles rear sets?

After breaking my right side stock rear set I over-nighted a new Gilles rear set. I installed them thanks to El Diablo's post and not the lame ass instructions from Gilles. I rode a couple of times on day one and adjusted the shift lever a few times. I wake up on day two and want to drop the shift lever a bit, I go to loosen the the reverse nut and SNAP, the "gear shaft" breakes off at the base of the threads (luckly it was the right side of the stock I broke). I put my stock one back on. The person I bought them from called his person who inturn called his guy...... bottom line I was told that I used to much pressure on the nut. Replacement for the shaft was $45.00... The place I ordered it from is getting to me at cost of $28.00. Bla, bla, bla..

Before I get voted off the island. First: The instructions from Gilles state that I need to grease all screws before I insert them to aviod the seizing to the aluminium (I assume that grease is not german for lock tight ). Should I grease them or lock tight???
When I adjusted the gear shaft to lower the shifting lever (closer to my toe) I ended up with a lot of thread showing and still wanted it lower. I moved the adjusting plate/foot peg forward it seemed to help a bit.
Second: Is there a way that I can adjust the shifting lever lower and keep more thread from being exposed (it seem like I need a longer shaft [no jokes please]).
As far as the Gilles goes they are amazing! The shifting was much more smooth and precise. They look great and having solid pegs even felt mucho better.
If any of you made it all the way through my post and have an idea... thanks in advance.... Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

The gilles shift lever has three holes that the shaft nuckel (??) connects to. Remove the lever itself. There is a allen bolt connecting it and is a very tight press fit. Don't be suprised when it takes some convincing to remove the lever. Pick the appropriate spot for the adjustment you are looking to make.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ah haa.... I see it now! Thanks . Now I just need for the new shaft to get here. Now I see it clear as day, on the parts list the call it the "gear lever bearing" You the man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Anyone have any input on the "greese" vs. loc tight?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK10R
Anyone have any input on the "greese" vs. loc tight?
If they are just recommending the grease as an anti-seize agent, you can use locktite instead, as it works as an anti-galling/seize agent as well. And it will keep stuff from rattling loose, unlike grease.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-16-2005, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thank you all, thy will be done....
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 AM

Posting Frequency

After determining the I liked the position of my Gillies I re-assembled using Red Locktite, everything held.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKEMIKE
After determining the I liked the position of my Gillies I re-assembled using Red Locktite, everything held.
Red may be for you, but I'm down with the Bloo! (locktite that is) Isn't red the perminent stuff?

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #9 of 11 Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl
Red may be for you, but I'm down with the Bloo! (locktite that is) Isn't red the perminent stuff?
No, not perminent, just harder to get apart.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Latest update! I started to try and remove the knuckle (gear lever bearing) bolt slighty striping it a L'n wrench (yes I know it's allen but they do look like a "L"). I took it to work today and the guys in the shop backed it out but had to use a tool for removeing striped bolts (They're all Harley guys). Yes I was on the phone trying to describe the bolt/screw I needed to the dealer. It should be here in a coulpe of days, I hope it's the correct one! Those fricken directions that came with the rear sets were beyond worthless, and nothing on how to adjust them. Now that I have "almost" done it once (with help from my 10r bros here) it not that big of a deal. It is the first time I've worked with aluminum screws, lesson learned. Thanks again for all of your help... Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in