7500 mile service questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
7500 mile service questions

Ive just passed the 7500 mile mark and i need to have the service done......I like to do all my own work and avoid taking the bike to the stealership unless i absolutely have to.....there are a couple things that im wondering about with this service though...

1. a service tech at the dealer mentioned to me a while back that at the 7500 mile service they drop the oil pan and clean inside.....this isnt mentioned in the service manual....so is it neccessary, or should i do it??.(i have changed the oil 6 or 7 times)

2. as far as replacing plugs....any suggestions?....the manual doesnt make it sound too hard but ide like to hear from someone that has some experience with it(i have heard from others that its a PITA)

3. Engine Vacuum syncronization...sounds like something i would need some special tools for....

the rest of the service is basic maintenance which im not gonna pay someone else to do....is there anything else that i need to do?? I just wanna get a better feel if i would be better off paying for this service or if its something i can handle. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

It's baloney that you should have to drop the oil pan and clean inside it! If there's that much crap in there, the shavings in the oil pan are the least of your worries - where the shavings are coming from is a much greater concern!

The iridium-tipped sparkplugs in this bike should last a lot longer than 12,000 km (sorry, I think metric, but that's the corresponding service interval). I'll think about looking at them at the 24,000 km valve clearance check, when I have to go in there anyway.

Vacuum sync requires special procedures according to the manual, but again, I don't think it will have to be touched for a very long time.

I'm only planning to do oil changes and brake/chain inspections (and tires) until 24,000 km, and then the major service will be next winter's project.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 12 Old 03-31-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
It's baloney that you should have to drop the oil pan and clean inside it! If there's that much crap in there, the shavings in the oil pan are the least of your worries - where the shavings are coming from is a much greater concern!

The iridium-tipped sparkplugs in this bike should last a lot longer than 12,000 km (sorry, I think metric, but that's the corresponding service interval). I'll think about looking at them at the 24,000 km valve clearance check, when I have to go in there anyway.

Vacuum sync requires special procedures according to the manual, but again, I don't think it will have to be touched for a very long time.

I'm only planning to do oil changes and brake/chain inspections (and tires) until 24,000 km, and then the major service will be next winter's project.
thanks man....thats kindof what i was thinking too....7500 seems early to do a lot of that stuff but i felt like i should go by the book, ya know....comments like what the dealer gives me is exactly why i dont want to take it to them...though when it comes down to the major stuff i guess i will have no choice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 12:46 AM

Posting Frequency

As long as you're a competent mechanic, isn't it worth spending a few hundred (?) on special tools to do the service yourself? The stealership will charge even more than you'd pay for tools - even if you only use them once it's a bargain.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Posting Frequency

yeah i was at the dealer today to buy some oil and a filter, they didnt even have 10-40, i was like you dont have 10-40? there like naw just use 10-30 it doesnt makea difference its what we use......i was like nah no thanks.

good thing i do all my own services, definatly dont take your bike to this dealer.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 04:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
the only 'special' tool you need for the TB synch is a set of carb sticks, or vacuume guages, but yes this service should be performed. While it's not something that "Must" be done, it's a good idea, and you'll be surprised how much smoother the bike will feel. google Carb Sticks and you can find a decent set without mercury for less than $100.

Stop Whining!!!
It ain't easy being Green ~ Kermit The Frog
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.....Even if you win...you are still retarded

CaliSuperbikes- "these are high strung machines, and we're giving them a constant dose of Red Bull"
post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekZERO
yeah i was at the dealer today to buy some oil and a filter, they didnt even have 10-40, i was like you dont have 10-40? there like naw just use 10-30 it doesnt makea difference its what we use......i was like nah no thanks.

good thing i do all my own services, definatly dont take your bike to this dealer.
It depends on where you live though mate. Match your oil to your temperature conditions. Over here in Oz I run a 15W-50 'cause it gets pretty hot in summer, especially if I'm stuck in traffic. I guess in winter I could run a 10W-40 instead. It's got the little oil chart in the manual, with temps and weights etc, check that out and see if the 10W-30 would suit, although anything with that little range might be a bit dodgy. Make sure you put the good oil in!

Long Live Mobil Racing 4T ... Mmmmmmmmm.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 06:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You're best to do as much as you can yourself then take the rest to a trusted and competent motorcycle mechanic (notice I didn't say stealer). Hopefully you know of one in your local area anyway. I have done this with all my bikes and it works out alot cheaper, but you still get the more technical stuff done right, and spot on.

The synchronisation of the throttle bodies would be a good idea. It should smoothen out the throttle response at low rpm and improve the idle. Of course, this depends on how far it's been out since factory. It's an absolute must when the valve clearances are done at the 15000m(24000km) mark though!

If you are looking for a set of vacuum guages, http://www.carbtune.com/ does a pretty decent set.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 07:16 AM

Posting Frequency

cool beans gents....that was my consensus of thinking also
post #10 of 12 Old 04-01-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Thanks Gladding and FutAnt....i now think i can probably handle this service myself with the support ive got with this site....maybe i can locate a good mechanic before the 15000 mi. service and the valve check....maybe one of the other Ga riders on this site has one they can refer me too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in