636 dog bones vs. penske double click - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

636 dog bones vs. penske double click

hi again...as another thread stated, i had delusions of grandeur and was gonna go full tits on my suspension mods then ran into cashflow issues...
soooo, i know a few guys have done the 636 dogbones since it first apeared last year then again in wstaabs post...

i am wondering if the 636 mod is a good alternative to the penske...or should i go with the penske.....

i think its cheaper by a couple hundred bucks to do the dogbones, but then you cant have passengers(or can you squeek by with maybe a small passenger,or would that be serioulsy detrimental,i only have a rider once a month or so...)

or is the penske the be all end all of rear suspension mods???

looking for best bang for the buck at this point...as for riding style, i do almost all riding on twisties since thats what we have around here(different states of repair...gotta love cal-trans)and i want to do tires brakes forks and rear suspension at the same time...i like to get my jollies feeling the transitions and the g's of cornering...

sooo any opinions are helpful, i'm gonna do one or the other, dont have enough for both(myikl, just did both...insert jealous smilie here)...then its on to the forks...

thus far, my bike is stretched by 2 links on the chain, hyperpro rsc, braided lines and will go with a set of pilot powers....no bling, just handling...

thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I did both the penski and the 636 bits. Only a couple of short rides so far so not too much to offer. So far i like the feel. I think I need either more preload or ride heigth but not making any changes until I get in a good ride.

I don't believe the passenger thing isn't as critical as you seam to think. the 636 linkage just makes it more of a straight or linear rate vs the more progressive rate of the stock parts. At worst you'll just need more preload with a passenger than w/o.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

having the Penske over the OEM shock is pure joy for roughly $700.

just today i purchsed the 636 dogbone / links from PatrickG ($50)and should have them next week sometime. Will this mod perform as wstaab states in his ad? i sure hope so.

The two mods address different areas of suspension but in combination may just be the dogs danglies f'sho.

BTW when i come to SJ in May i'll be up in them thar hills you mention.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Penske. No question in my mind. It's a matter of degrees. Dogbone should be a fine-tuning kinda thing. Penske shock vs. stock is a major improvement.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2006, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

all right guys...
i'm thinking penske first...
understand now,the two mods being seperate , thanks...i'm gonna glance at the wstaab thread to try and get the progressive vs linear thingy...(stiffer as the suspension comresses on the 10r?? vs same rate thru entire stroke on the 636??)
dogbones later as well...
i'll post in the sponsor section and see what i can drum up...
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

A point of reference. The 06 ZX10R uses the same rear dog bone as the 05/06 ZX6RR [600] which is only slightly different than the 636 version. The 06 also uses the same links as the 05/06 ZX6R [636]. The factory decided to make the rear more linear on the 06 for better rear wheel traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in