5.5" rim on the 10R - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
Strik33r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 307
Posting Frequency
 
5.5" rim on the 10R

has anyone ever tried this?? what are the pros, the cons, and the tyre size it would have to have? i saw a cheap set of brand new marchesini's on ebay, but not the right rim measure..

help me out here, should i grab them?
________
Squirting gushing

Last edited by Strik33r; 04-10-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Strik33r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
BANNED
 
ZX10Rracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,838
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik33r View Post
has anyone ever tried this?? what are the pros, the cons, and the tyre size it would have to have? i saw a cheap set of brand new marchesini's on ebay, but not the right rim measure..

help me out here, should i grab them?
There are NO pro's…….. the cons are you will need to run a 180 tire and contrary to popular belief this is not a good thing to do because you need the contact patch a 190 gives you { this is why if your buying Dunlop race slicks it’s a 195 rear} more contact patch!
ZX10Rracer is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Speed Freak
 
garth285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PSL, Florida
Posts: 12,730
Posting Frequency
           
Send a message via AIM to garth285
what are you going to be doing with the bike???
garth285 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
GP Rider
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,025
Posting Frequency
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Rracer View Post
There are NO pro's…….. the cons are you will need to run a 180 tire and contrary to popular belief this is not a good thing to do because you need the contact patch a 190 gives you { this is why if your buying Dunlop race slicks it’s a 195 rear} more contact patch!
funny that you say that, because a wider tire will give you less of a contact patch! think about it, if 190mm has to fit on the rim bubles out in the "correct" profile, then trying to fir a 195 in the same space will cause it to bubble out more, creating less of a flat spot. just fyi
mityaz is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM
BANNED
 
ZX10Rracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,838
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
funny that you say that, because a wider tire will give you less of a contact patch! think about it, if 190mm has to fit on the rim bubles out in the "correct" profile, then trying to fir a 195 in the same space will cause it to bubble out more, creating less of a flat spot. just fyi
No your wrong. just a fyi
this falls under the "contrary to popular belief " category
and this is why they make different sidewall profiles
and make 16.5 rims and on 16.5 rims you could run a 210mm race slick for a HUGE contact patch!!

Last edited by ZX10Rracer; 02-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.
ZX10Rracer is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
WSB Rider
 
RPG76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Can a Duh
Posts: 541
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
funny that you say that, because a wider tire will give you less of a contact patch! think about it, if 190mm has to fit on the rim bubles out in the "correct" profile, then trying to fir a 195 in the same space will cause it to bubble out more, creating less of a flat spot. just fyi
Your statement is only true based around what width of rim the tire was meant to fit on. A 190/50 bubbles up on a 5.5 inch rim because it was designed to fit a 6 inch rim. All of the extra large racing tires where designed to fit the 6inch rim, so no problems there. There can be problems with rubbing swingarms, funky head shake, ect. but these are not a tire on rim problem.

05 ZX10r "the Mongrel": GP Suspension rebuilt forks, LE Penske double shock, 05-06 ZX6rr shock linkage, Brembo RCS MC, Nissin calipers (best mod for this bike!!!), Attack rearsets, Motion Pro Revolver throttle kit, ASV clutch lever, Champs sliders, smoked Zero Grav DB, Ti caliper bolts, CF fender, Renthal grips, Speedo healer, Maviryk MDA123 batt, Supersprox +3 520, That's it..... For now

190/55>190/50
RPG76 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Speed Freak
 
garth285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PSL, Florida
Posts: 12,730
Posting Frequency
           
Send a message via AIM to garth285
guys he might also not be looking to go full out race spec tires, maybe he just wants marchesini's.... if hes riding on the street I doubt he will care giving up a tenth of an inch of contact patch......

lets find out what hes looking to use the rims for
garth285 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM
GP Rider
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,025
Posting Frequency
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Rracer View Post
No your wrong. just a fyi
this falls under the "contrary to popular belief " category
and this is why they make different sidewall profiles
and make 16.5 rims and on 16.5 rims you could run a 210mm race slick for a HUGE contact patch!!
your getting ahead of yourself. im going off of the suggestion that wider tire will create larger contact patch. which, with all else being equal, it won't. variation in rim width, sidewall profile or tire diameter were NOT mentioned, ya dig?

edit:

dont mean to highjack the thread, carry on
mityaz is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 PM
BANNED
 
ZX10Rracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,838
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
your getting ahead of yourself. im going off of the suggestion that wider tire will create larger contact patch. which, with all else being equal, it won't. variation in rim width, sidewall profile or tire diameter were NOT mentioned, ya dig?

edit:

dont mean to highjack the thread, carry on


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Rracer View Post
There are NO pro's…….. the cons are you will need to run a 180 tire and contrary to popular belief this is not a good thing to do because you need the contact patch a 190 gives you { this is why if your buying Dunlop race slicks it’s a 195 rear} more contact patch!

Well CLEARLY I was talking race tire! and even More clearly I was talking rim size! so I have no clue what your talking about!

Last edited by ZX10Rracer; 02-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.
ZX10Rracer is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
GP Rider
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,025
Posting Frequency
    
you learn something new everyday. i wasn't aware that the dunlop slicks 195 had a 65 wall. i will shut up now.
mityaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04/05 6R rim on 04/05 10R cbolton69 Performance and Tech 1 11-04-2009 02:19 PM
What are the advantages of running a 16.5" rim? garth285 Performance and Tech 3 09-29-2007 06:49 PM
190 tyre on 5.5" rim kiwifruit Performance and Tech 5 02-21-2007 09:47 PM
04 zx-10r rim weights homeguard The ZX-10R 4 10-04-2006 08:23 AM
New 05 10R rear rim Dooganx1 Parts, Gear and Accessories 5 08-16-2006 06:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome