30,000 mile oil analysis - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-21-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

30,000 mile oil analysis

Here's my 30,000 mile oil analysis:

Yes, I should have changed it sooner...but figured factory recommends 5,000 miles - then 1,000 miles over 3,000 miles shouldn't be that bad...WRONG...the broken bones in my hands just caused me to put it off...

There has been a LOT of discussion on this forum on oil fiters. I have been using K & N, (easy to put on and take off with the nut on the end) but after some posting took a look at the Purolater Pure ONE and just looking at the two together, the PURE ONE is obviously a better filter than the K & N. This oil change got the K & N, but after 2,500 miles - I am using the PURE ONE...

I know, my bad...

30K oil report

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd like to see a test of oil in this bike at 1K miles and 2k miles to compare the rate of breakdown.

green 10r, Akro EVO 2, Hyperpro rsc, tre, pcIII, Puig DB, K&N, Purvision HIDs, Speedohealer, GONE

08 Ducati Hypermotard S GONE

08 Kawi Concours 14, Area P full sys, PCV, Flies out
post #3 of 12 Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

That's possible...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to ram360
how much to have them test it?
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram360
how much to have them test it?
$20.00 get free sample mailer from their web site.

post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak
I'd like to see a test of oil in this bike at 1K miles and 2k miles to compare the rate of breakdown.
it isn't really breakdown...it is the pecentages of the materials...and the percentage hasn't changed...

post #7 of 12 Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 AM

Posting Frequency

This is the kind of information that I like. You ought to post that up on Bob is the Oil Guy in the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) section. There is very little on motorcycles. These guys will go through the analysis and maybe give you more information and maybe even some suggestions.

I am currently running Mobil 1 15w50 and PurOne PL14610 filter and a 3,000 mile change interval. I plan on going to the Mobil 1 5w40 SUV stuff at the next change because the transmission shifts clunky until it is warmed up.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

for the pure one oil filter, the bike gets it, the ROUSH, and the Acura. all run Amsoil full synthetic also!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Gotta love the Amsoil!

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Steve, I'm looking at the test sheet now. It says the oil was Castrol 5w40. Was that the Castrol motorcycle-specific stuff? There is a Castrol Syntec of that viscosity, but as far as I've seen, it's only sold at VW dealers (it's a special blend for VW diesel engines).

Viscosity is down a little, but it's not bad. Fuel dilution is good. No antifreeze is also good.

Lead, tin, copper, and zinc are found in Babbitt plain-bearing metal (crank and rod journals) and the bronze bushings in the transmission. Zinc isn't useful for analysis, though, because it's an ingredient in the oil additives itself. Lead, tin, and copper are all low - good sign, means low bottom-end wear. By the way, the lead number is not useful for an engine that has been driven on leaded gasoline.

Chromium, molybdenum, manganese, and iron are ingredients of alloy steel - crankshaft, transmission gears, camshaft, cam followers, stuff like that. Iron is found elsewhere, so it's not useful. The others are all extremely low - again, low bottom-end wear, a good sign.

Aluminum can come from pistons or from the camshaft journals, since the camshaft runs directly in aluminum on this engine (as with most other bike engines). The iron that's left is likely piston rings, but it's pretty low.

Silicon comes from sand. Low level means your air filter is working OK.

Calcium, phosphorus, zinc, are oil additive ingredients, part of the oil itself. OK.

The somewhat high aluminum is the only concern I'd have with it.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in