Gen 4: 2011-2015 2011 ZX10 Layover Now will not start - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2011 ZX10 Layover Now will not start

Hey guys, didnt know if any of you guys has had this problem, layed my 2011 zx10 over going about 5mph, it was only on its side for oh about 5 seconds, picked it back and it would not fire up, it will hit then die, it will not start only hit & backfire about every other start, didnt know what this may be or what I could do, ive tried about everything, ordering a new vehicle down sensor to see if that may be the problem, but if anybody knows anything in the mean time please let me know thanks Chris!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
What side did the bike go down on? How many times have you cycled the ignition switch? Once the vehicle down sensor is activated, it takes a couple of cycles of the ignition switch to get it running again.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

went down on RH side, Ive tried cycling the key 5 times, 3 times, 10 times, slowly 2 times then removing the key, removing battery cable for 15 minutes etc..... everything and still same results lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
What got damaged in the fall? If the down sensor is bad, you'll get an FI error code 31. It might be "stuck" though, as it's just a rotating disk magnetic disk with a Hall-effect sensor in it. I'd try removing the sensor from the tail section and lightly shaking it and tapping on it to see if it will help loosen the disk. You may also try bypassing it just to get the motor started.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I have removed the sensor took it apart, it is all free'd up, it does the exact same thing wether the sensor is plugged up or unplugged, just really scuffed a fearing, and mirror mainly.... How could I bypass it to start it....
post #6 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

pretty much just a scuffed fairing and mirror, I have taken the vehicle tip sensor off and taken apart and all, seems to be fine, it does the exact same thing wether the sensor is hooked up or unhooked...... how do you bypass it?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
There are 3 lines going into it. One is a 5v input line, one is a ground, and the other is the signal line. You'd have to jump the 5v line to the signal line so that it would see ~5v at the signal line. When the signal line goes to 0v, the switch is made and the ECU senses that the vehicle is down. So it won't run with the switch disconnected.

At this point, since you've already taken the switch apart and back together, I'd reckon that's not the issue. It's not that complicated of a part to cause this much issue.

I'd be turning my attention to the starter clutch. Maybe something got knocked out of whack with that since it fell over on the right hand side. A good jarring when the bike went down may have screwed something up. This all assumes the starter is turning over, but the motor itself may not be.

#WordCrimes

post #8 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'd also check the crankshaft sensor. They have a tenancy to come loose inside the case or get bumped slightly out of alignment. If the crank signal isn't being seen by the ECU, the timing gets screwed up and you'll get results very much like you're reporting. It's on the right side of the motor as well.

First, verify that the motor is indeed turning over with the starter. Pull the right hand engine cover and check the ignition rotor turns properly. If it does, look at the crankshaft position sensor to be sure it's properly aligned.

#WordCrimes

post #9 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

id say that may be my problem, bc it seems way out of time, and it nicked the start cover but not the crankcase cover, so Im going to guess it still could have knocked it loose, hmmmm, so how would I go about alining it if you dont mind me asking! Thanks again for your help sir
post #10 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The sensor is mounted to the inside of the engine case right in front of the clutch housing and above the oil sight glass. I'd pull that cover off and inspect the sensor itself. You'll see a wire bundle going into that area for the sensor. Just follow those wires. Once the cover is off, just look at the sensor and make sure it hasn't moved or there's no debris covering it. Clean it off real good, verify that the cover isn't damaged and the sensor looks intact and try it again.

There's a voltage test to verify that it's operating correctly, but you should just try checking it for obvious damage at this point. Make sure though that it's clean. If it's covered in oil from laying on the right side, clean it good before reinstalling it.

#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in