2008 ZX10R Akra Evo Dyno with Motty AFR tuner - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

2008 ZX10R Akra Evo Dyno with Motty AFR tuner

Thought I would post this for those interested.

The higher runs are after Evo was intalled and a Motty AFR close loop system running. Took a little bit to get the AFR unit tuning properly as it was disabling self tuning due to high engine temps on dyno. Finally figured this out and raised the high temperature limit and it worked fine after that. It only took a few pulls once I had the temp limits fixed and it jumped from 171 to 176. Took it for a ride today and it just keeps getting better and better. have set the AFR at 13.2, will be going back to the dyno in 2 weeks and will have a bit more of a play with other AFR ratios for best power.

Interesting to see that the baseline on the other sheet is 151. This is the same bike with 1000kms and completely stock with all the crap still on it, while the Akra evo with Motty AFR pulled a 176. Just goes to show how restrictive the exhaust is. The 151 run was done quick and we didnt hook up the RPMs it was done in 5th gear with speed scale on bottom. The Akra runs were done in 6th with RPM on bottom

Was all done on the same dyno but differant days. The other line with the 151 run, was my old 05 zx10r with akra evo, pc3, race cam, head gasket, ignition module, this run was baseline too before new mapping for headgasket and cam, the old 10r got 163 in the end with those mods.

For those that were interested in the Racefit growlers, there was one of our local magazines that fitted one to a 08 10r and gained 10hp.

The only thing I wasnt happy about is the dips at 8000rpm and 9500rpm. Not sure if this is an exhaust characteristic or if its the secondaries, which i have removed. May put them back in when i go back to the dyno to have a look if it smoothes that area out. The AF line was nice and flat, and the Wideband O2 sensor running with the AFR was .1 richer than the Dynojets sniffer. We think this may be because the AFRs sensor is in a better position for readings and not sniffing down the end of the can. The AFR sensor is located in the link pipe next to the rear set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zx10r akra dyno2.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	75515   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno_original2.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	75516  

Last edited by Rizzo; 08-18-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I wish the Motty was mass produced and sold here in the states. It is even better than the Bazzaz. Any pix of the Motty install? Plug and play or cut and splice as I fear?

I agree, those dips are ugly and I hope not a characteristic of the Akra pipe as I have that same pipe but have not had it on the dyno yet.

Very interesting thread. Keep us updated PLEASE!

JJ
post #3 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

According to the manual (downloadable from their website), you have to splice it into the wiring harness. It is available for purchase off their website, so no reason you can't get one here in the States, just not from a local supplier. Looks like the price is at 460 euros which works out to around $675.50 US with current exchange rates. plus whatever shipping might be. You can buy the lambda sensor locally from any autoparts store. They even provide the part #s in their FAQ.

Honestly, after skimming through the manual, it seems to be a hell of a piece of tuning kit and at a great price as compared to the Bazazz unit with optional AFR or a PCIII that can't do tuning on the fly even with their option AFR stuff. Install would be more difficult since it does require splicing into the bikes existing harness but the results look to be well worth the effort. I might have to invest in a Motty unit now...

Couple of notes from the manual, this unit also has built in data logging, 2 map selections and doesn't require extra hardware to control those options while riding. It is all controlled via gear position and the throttle with ignition on and before the engine is started. Awesome stuff.

Last edited by xtremewlr; 08-17-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

For some reason I thought there was an AFR unit available for the Power Commander, I guess there isn't tho as I was just looking thru the site and do not see one.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
KLW
BANNED

Posting Frequency

DJ I believe have the wideband datalogger, but you have to interpolate the data where Bazzaz does that and then the Bazzaz makes suggestions.

But this Motty doesnt just make suggestions, but instead makes the hard changes as I understand it.

Cut and splice harness though is not for me.

Maybe one could get a harness off a totaled bike and make personal plug and play for Motty. I think thats over my abilities though.

k
post #6 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLW View Post
DJ I believe have the wideband datalogger, but you have to interpolate the data where Bazzaz does that and then the Bazzaz makes suggestions.

But this Motty doesnt just make suggestions, but instead makes the hard changes as I understand it.

Cut and splice harness though is not for me.

Maybe one could get a harness off a totaled bike and make personal plug and play for Motty. I think thats over my abilities though.

k
That is exactly what it does. Excerpt from their install manual:

Quote:
4.1.3. Self mapping
The most important feature of the AFR Tuner is the capability to combine the wideband air-fuel ratio measurement with the fuel injector control and merge the two into a closed loop, self mapping fuel injection system. The biggest advantage of the automatic mapping is that the fueling can always be optimal even if new modifications are made to the motorcycle or slow changes take place like air filter clogging or engine wear.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You do realize those are STD #'s don't you? They are fine for tuning to see gains as long as temp. and humidity don't change much.

I would like to see the SAE (corrected) #'s.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong. I would love to thing I will be able to tune 176rwhp out of my 10!
post #9 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Ill see if I can get a print out with the SAEs next time Im there.

Quote:
Any pix of the Motty install? Plug and play or cut and splice as I fear?
Yes it is cut and splice, not that difficult though as all the connections are made at the start of the ECU harness. The unit came with a simple model specific wiring harness guide that made it easy, you just need someone who knows how to solder if you dont yourself.

I will try and get some pixs up of the unit, connections, and lambda sensor when I get time.

Ill put the secondaries back in and see what effect they have on the bike. Im interesed to see if its the them or the exhaust thats causing the dips in the curve.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN10 View Post
You do realize those are STD #'s don't you? They are fine for tuning to see gains as long as temp. and humidity don't change much.

Im going to say that 176 std is going to equate to roughly 164 sae.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in