2008 ZX10 Shock - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-22-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

2008 ZX10 Shock

Well guys, Murphy finally packed up his bags and headed to the house. I finally was able pick up my shock from SHY today. As most of you do not know, I dropped my shock off to a local suspension shop 2 weeks ago. A call to Racetech stated that I needed a 9.4kg spring. 3 days later the spring came in. To my lack of surprise it was not the correct one. the OEM spring is a 9.1kg and the spring suggested by Racetech would have hardly provided enough pressure for my weight(195). Another call confirmed their ooops and after a long drawn out process I finally received the correct part. The only problem now was that with the addition of the new spring my factory shock was unable to provide enough rebound adjustment. I guess you guys can figure out where this is going......Time for a revalve.

In any event I received my goodies today and because of my hassle I got a nice little chunk shaved right off the top.

***Rant about Racetech. Skip over if you're not interested***
Overall here's the deal. Racetech really has their ducks in a row as far as suspension parts and tweaking goes. No if, and's, or but's about it. It's top quality stuff that works...PERIOD
BUT
Their customer service is HORRENDOUS. Their shipping is extremely slow and defines mistake. The sales rep was very kind when you actually spoke with him, but would never return your call in a timely manner. Nor did he give you the impression he was really working out your problem. In fact he passed the buck off to a suspension tech who was the only person to really "Wow" me. After a week and a half I finally was fed up. I called again to find out a status and confirm that my part was actually shipped. Thankfully he was catching pressure from me as well as the owner of the suspension shop. In the end, the sales rep's boss refunded the expedited shipping that was charged and I got SHY a nice 20% mark off on the price. The owner passed it down to me in the form of discounted labor.

***Rant Over***

Now on with some pics! In a few days I'll do a nice long write up with an install tutorial...of course more pics will be included. Also note the receipt does not show tax. I paid 312.47 out the door for everything. Now let's hope it's worth it. OG seemed to be the first Racetech Guinea Pig on here and now it's my turn.....

"A monkey, ready to be shot up into space, ready to sacrifice himself for Project ZX-10R." -- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RaceTechTasty1.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	82255   Click image for larger version

Name:	RaceTechTasty2.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	82256   Click image for larger version

Name:	SHYTasty.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	82257   Click image for larger version

Name:	NotTooBad.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	82258  

XIII:IV
2008 ZX-10R in metallic diablo black

"I owe nothing to my brothers, nor do I gather debts from them....I covet no man's soul, nor is my soul theirs to covet"
- Ayn Rand, Anthem cir. 1938
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like a good deal to me, if it performs to your expectations.

The stock shock on the '08 is a pretty nice piece for OEM. I am just confused at why Kawi made the front forks so stiffly sprung, and the rear shock is so light. A 9.1kg spring in the rear is ridiculous. On my shock rebuild I'm going up to a 10.7kg and I'm "only" 175lbs before my chalupa combo at Taco Bell.

Last edited by Rspec99; 11-22-2008 at 04:25 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-22-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The 10.7kg is what I went with. I'm a mild mannered street rider who wanted a a little stiffer shock. Seems the 10.7 fits the bill for me.

"I owe nothing to my brothers, nor do I gather debts from them....I covet no man's soul, nor is my soul theirs to covet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Good price on the shock please tell how it works for you in the future. I have an Ohlins TTX shock on my 08 that ran me about $1,500.

Speed is nothing unless you know what to do with it.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Will do! I just finished installing it. When I have more than a few minutes and actually get to do a hard ride I'll do a review. I've got install pics already uploaded so it's just on me to do some typing.

post #6 of 21 Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess there is sufficient compression as you just back it off a bit more with the new stiffer spring? I'm contemplating a new spring and rebound valve or a TTX so I'll be watching this thread What is the breakdown in pricing for the spring, valve and other misc parts?

Sean

08 10R Pearl Wildfire Orange

Akra slip on W/Link Pipe, Ohlins R&T Forks, Ohlins 46PRXLS, Attack Rearsets, Guhl ECU Reflash, Ivan's Block Offs, Pazzo Levers, Goodridge Carbo Brake Lines, Vesrah RJL Pads, Riflemans 1/5 Throttle Insert, R & G Sliders & Engine Guards, Puig Z Screen, Puig Hugger, Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap

post #7 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The spring was 109.99 and the revalve was 225.00 and the spring spacer was 13.99. My discount was for 50.24 so my OTD price was 312.47

post #8 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

So the shop installed the rebound valve for $225? There aren't a lot of shops up here doing this so I need some kind of price reference, thanks.

Sean

Akra slip on W/Link Pipe, Ohlins R&T Forks, Ohlins 46PRXLS, Attack Rearsets, Guhl ECU Reflash, Ivan's Block Offs, Pazzo Levers, Goodridge Carbo Brake Lines, Vesrah RJL Pads, Riflemans 1/5 Throttle Insert, R & G Sliders & Engine Guards, Puig Z Screen, Puig Hugger, Evotech 1/4 turn gas cap

post #9 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

That's parts included.

post #10 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 12:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

So about $350ish labour in, not bad. A TTX is what I want but may be overkill so this might do the trick for me. A shop suggested modifying the shim stack on the OEM shock instead of the rebound valve but if they're going to open it up I may as well do the new valve. Hopefully your re valved shock does the job, keep the thread updated

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in