2008 slipper clutch mod - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

2008 slipper clutch mod

Hi, first post on this forum!! does anyone know if the 2008 silpper can be modified in the same way as a 2007 r6?? i have been racing the r6 since 2006 and for next season will move to the 1000 class with a new zx10r.
now i have looked at the clutch diagram and it looks like it has the same setup as the r6 with the springs that go on befor the cluth hub nut, on the r6 it had 3 three leged springs and what you do is take them all out and cut all the legs off 2 of them ( making them into washers basicly)and refit 1 without legs 1 with lesgs 1 without legs
I have attatched a pic of the zx10r springs and to look at they are the same as the r6 springs
any info welcom.
cheers
Ian

Name:  zx110 clutch.JPG
Views: 2045
Size:  13.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

havnt heard of anyone doin this to the 08 zx10 yet or not... but if you give it a try def. post up the results on here bro

No chicken strips sold here......
post #3 of 24 Old 12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It sure would be a simple thing to do, but, what exactly does it buy you? Does the stock springs' pressure cause some type of problem during certain circumstances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
There is a slipper clutch mod and I have it done. What it is is a kit judder plate. It reduces the chatter so you can do higher rpm drop downs when shifting. I am trackday exclusive and rode with this mod all year. I loved it!! There was no chatter in the rear wheel when shift down fast and hard to setup for corners. I also had no problem with it holding the power. If you search for the kit manual in the search box it has it detailed in the transmission section. At least it does in the 06-07 kit manual. It does require some adjust me of the clutch pack thickness ie. varying the thickness of the friction plates. It also talks about adjust the clutch pack thickness to allow for more or less slip with this parts. It was not hard to do just a little reading and the right parts. Here is the part number for the 08 part. I believe this works for all years as well.

13089-0012

Also did some more leg work for you. This is from the kawasaki website

Clutch Plate (Judder Spring)
• Replace 13089-0003 in clutch stack

• Offers 60% stronger damper than stock

• These items are intended for closed-course competition use only

• Use of unauthorized components and use of a vehicle in competition can affect a vehicle’s warranty coverage

• Kawasaki Accessories used in competition are not covered by any warranty and are not returnable

• Quantities may be limited and replacement parts may not be available
MSRP: $109.95

Last edited by green_zx; 12-13-2008 at 01:28 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

good work green, rep sent

No chicken strips sold here......
post #6 of 24 Old 12-15-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the replys!!!
the more i look at the clutch the more i want to try cutting the springs
im going to give it a go but i will not be able to test the results for a few months as its -5 outside, if it work l will post the results on here, when i did it on the r6 i had 2 bikes and my #1 bike had a sigma slipper in it and the wet bike had a std clutch with this mod and it was that good that it made me think that i had wasted £600 on the sigma.
Hawk kawasaki do a mod on the zx10 clutch without using any kit parts (i hope i have found it) ill let you know.

I have bought a full arata sytem and a pc3 for the bike, does anbody know if the is anymore power by fitting a ignition moduel.
cheers
Ian
post #7 of 24 Old 12-15-2008, 04:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Good luck trying this mod Ian, I'll be very interested to see how it works out.

Cheers,
Brian

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Question

Exactly what do you do and I will try it. I can still ride every other day when it is not freezing or raining outside. Will I need another clutch cover gasket or will the old one still be good. Oh by the way I have the 05 ten.

Is it Fast?
post #9 of 24 Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I still don't get it. Those springs are pretty weak any way. If you make them weaker, what are you allowing to happen? Does the clutch slip earlier or easier? Like when you are not really decelerating very hard?

What are the consequences? Or, to ask it differently, why didn't Kawasaki put weaker springs in there?

Just curious.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I still don't get it. Those springs are pretty weak any way. If you make them weaker, what are you allowing to happen? Does the clutch slip earlier or easier? Like when you are not really decelerating very hard?

What are the consequences? Or, to ask it differently, why didn't Kawasaki put weaker springs in there?

Just curious.
I think they allow the slipper clutch to engage on downshifts at a certain rpm. If you make them weaker then theoretically it should let the clutch slip earlier. It can only slip one way due to the ramped slipper design. I like the idea of my clutch slipping easier. I really don't need the engine braking as much and I can settle to enter a turn alot easier if that happens sooner.

Is it Fast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in