Gen 2: 2006-2007 2007 MGP Growler Lowmount Project COMPLETE - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

2007 MGP Growler Lowmount Project COMPLETE

I ventured off on a mission to rape the ass end of my 10R. I first started out wanting to gut my cats and baffle both tubes and was 60 percent into it when another member pointed out he had done it. So I lost momentum due to the feedback he gave on the noise level. Soooo I moved to plan B.. To do a low mount or mid side exit ..

I ended up with a low mount due to some pipe bending issues that I will address later to move the can right below the passenger fot peg .. BY SUMMER for sure when I find a facility that can mandrel bend tight turns.

Final Product Pics

You will Need :

1) 2008-2009 Can and mid pipe..
2) A 2" Stainless S Pipe with 2 35 Degree bends . (Mine Was Chrome But I Blasted the chrome off with sandblaster)
3) Place to expand those pipes
4) 2 muffler clamps
5) Lots of patience

First I mocked up the bike with plastics off. Take off the swingarm plate . Take off all the mounts where the reservoir mounts and reattach without the crap except the bracket that installs below the lid. You will need that bracket to mount the pipe..

Second I work the mid pipe to fit the cat by slowly expanding the pipe. The stainless will split if you expand it too far . . Every bike is different and you could use 2.25 " pipe and expand it enough to use the lead based pipe gasket on the oem setup

I did not use aluminized pipe it gets too hot

Third I Took it off and expanded the other end till it slid over the end pipe of the can tightly ..

Fourth Tighten the Cats, and the pipe where you want it on the bike and grab your self a long piece of aluminum and drill a hole at each end . Your length of this piece will depend on your setup

FifthAttach your aluminum strip to the bolt that holds the reservoir bracket to the pass footpeg and let it hang loose enough to move it around

FifthNow line up that strip with to the mounting hole on the bracket supplied with the can your using . as pictured . now take a sharpie and push it through the hole and leave a mark . Then drill a hole in that piece center the hole on the mark .. .

Sixth Last cut off the excess strip . Re tighten everything and your almost done ..

Lets move on to notching your plastic

I installed one screw on the other side of bike and slowly rolled it over to the pipe side..

Take note of where the plastic touches the pipe ..I made a mark on the outside plastic 1/4 " FROM BELOW AND 1/4" above the pipe. Then i took off the plastic and connected the lines by drawing a straight line from both marks to form a square .. then i drew a circle in the middle of that square and that was the material I removed ...

It took 2 trims and i clear the pipe by 1/2 "

Now you will need some heat protection..Take your heat shield you removed and peel off the OEM fiber and cut pieces and stack it but the pipe . I also put a strip on my swingarm where my pipe is close to touching the swingarm .. Later I will order a black kind ..

Hope you all get some ideas or this helps you do what I did ... "
Thanks

Heres a SOUND CLIP

Last edited by Solo-Six; 04-23-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

Lemme know what you think ?
post #3 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

not too bad but hard to tell if i like it because of the view of the pictures. can you take a side picture of the entire bike though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 02:26 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

why is the outlet pointing to the side?
post #5 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to JOSHUAZX10
It looks pretty good. I think it would look better if the pipe angled up a bit towards the rear instead of going straight back though
post #6 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
Corner clearance is??????????? Gone, severely limited?
post #7 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Not a big fan of the change, I think u changed the one thing I love about the growler and didn't change the one thing I hate about the gen one, but props on craftsmanship and write up
post #8 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBlank View Post
Not a big fan of the change, I think u changed the one thing I love about the growler and didn't change the one thing I hate about the gen one, but props on craftsmanship and write up
He has a 2nd gen.....NOT a 1st. To each his own man, I'd like to see a full side shot o the pipe and bike but as long as you like it and are happy with it then it doesn't matter what we say and think.
post #9 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMY10ER View Post
He has a 2nd gen.....NOT a 1st. To each his own man, I'd like to see a full side shot o the pipe and bike but as long as you like it and are happy with it then it doesn't matter what we say and think.
Here ya go

post #10 of 43 Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER K View Post
Corner clearance is??????????? Gone, severely limited?
Only if im draggin ELBOW ... I just had it doown to the foot peg 3o minutes ago .... But at any rate your sittiing there looking at a picture so its cool . This is not a permanent location . Im hacking off the elbow on the growler and that will change the mount to just beneath the rear foot peg . That will raise it up to a point where cornering would not be affected . The growler is only 5 Inches round if that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in