2005 zx10r weight and power curve mods - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2005 zx10r weight and power curve mods

So... I have a 2005 zx10r Got it in mid april as an early birthday present to myself :D came with 2500 miles now has almost 5k

What I've noticed... its like riding a dirtbike with more power... that being said

I was planning to slap a power commander on it.. and maybe adjust the sprockets because its cool to say I can do 105 in first gear.. but I cant keep the front end down if I floor it. I'm about 180 now and I am leaning pretty far over just to attempt to keep it down. So I cant floor it which isn't fun.

My thoughts are using a power commander to get it mapped and maybe curve the torque more towards the mid range than low.

Anyone have any thoughts? I was also wondering if I can cut some weight on the bike... though the thing is 374 dry so I cant really complain.. Just looking for maybe some easy cheap mods for the winter when I get my bike painted :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

??? The front end comes up because the bike has a lot of power and a short wheelbase. Improving the power and or going to shorter gearing will only make it easier to get the front wheel up. If you reduce the power so that the front wheel doesn't come up anymore, you've reduced the power. Is that more fun? Get a 600 then. Shifting the power band down to lower RPM would probably only make the front end come up at lower rpm. Solution: get a 600.

One possible solution is to go for a longer swing arm if you're into dragging rather than cornering.

Green '04

Last edited by Lougots; 07-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You bought a ZX-10R and you want to keep the wheel down? Not possible, go buy a Honda...

At its core, the Ninja ZX-10R is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate its capabilities--whether put to the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Member of The Elite - Growler Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

This bike is beyond awesomeness, I love cruisin on it as much as possible.. which isn't really too often since im in new england :(

Wish our summers lasted longer.. the cold is NOT fun.

Any suggested mods for the bike?

Other than a power commander and some velocity stacks, not sure what else I might want to ad. Bike is completely stock at the moment.

Last edited by jtcninja; 07-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Most people do -1, +1 on the sprockets but that will only make the front end come up even more for you. Keep it stock if wheelies are a problem for you. Definitely buy a slip on/full exhaust and power commander... But that will only give it more power for more wheelies!

"The world is made of two types of people: riders and everyone else. In a country full of lawsuits, threat levels, child proof caps, rules and regulations, owning a motorcycle is one of the last ways to give the middle finger to society's expectation that we constantly be caged and protected. We all want our machines to be a representation of ourselves. Those that ride know being on a motorcycle is not just about getting from point A to B."
John Zamora - Super Streetbike
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Seems like you come from a dirtbike background and wanna be able to pin it like you would a 250......NOT gonna happen, friend!

Riding a 10R is constant chaos control...Use throttle wisely, grasshopper!

Thou Shalt Respect Thy 10, And Revel In It's Power, For It Is Good, And Plentiful.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshead View Post
Seems like you come from a dirtbike background and wanna be able to pin it like you would a 250......NOT gonna happen, friend!

:iamwithstit could be your friend or worse enemy.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

one word for you

SCREWDRIVER

post #9 of 10 Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Look into getting a steering damper as well if you hadn't got one already......anything you do with the PC,sprockets,stacks, etc....is only going to make the bike faster or actually go faster quicker, you can always add some extensions to the swingarm and/or drop the trees down a few mm's to try....."TRY" to keep the front end down. from what you've said so far though i would NOT look into a 1/5th throttle or play with the gearing. just mythough.

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshead View Post

You nailed it! I used to race 250's in high school. When I got my first ninja I was whippin the bike on corners... took a little time to remember that im on cement and the bike is a good 200 pounds more.

I was flyin fast into a corner, down shifting to first and the back tire would slide a little then wheelie out of a corner. That wasn't workin well for my tires and I learned to control that. Now I got my zx10r and it whips way more.

I forget who mentioned it but I totally forgot about a steering damper, those are a life saver and I'll add that to my shopping list this fall.

I unfortunately have to get surgery on my hands for carpal tunel, but im gonna try just my throttle hand and hopefully able to ride again in a couple weeks time. Hard to hold on when your hands are asleep! :headshake

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the bike from before and after the paint work and such :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in