Gen 1: 2004-2005 2004 zx-10 oil leak!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 338
Posting Frequency
 
2004 zx-10 oil leak!!!

Hey guys I have an oil leak on the sprocket side of the motor, Just wondering if any of you have or know of an this issue or what It could be. doesn't leak when the motor is off just when running and its just a steady dribble after it runs down the side of the motor/ off the oil pan. Its either back behind the sprocket or just to its left and a little up. Im in a huge hurry but I was just trying to throw this out there is get the gears turning.










The leak is what seems to be beside the starter in the little valley between the starter and behind the sprocket, anything above that and it looks clean/dry but there might also be cracks I cant get a light into and see into, too see if its running down. but the major build up is in that valley area all the way to the way back to the block. its hard to see in the pictures but I did my best lol

ALSO, I had all the coolent lines off and I wish I had that big one out of the way (the one the idol adjuster is on) its right behind it that things seems to start (from what I can tell).

Thanks,
Anthony C.

Last edited by 04-ZX-10r; 04-30-2011 at 11:13 PM.
04-ZX-10r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM
WSB Rider
 
Btrain87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 790
Posting Frequency
  
check your engine covers maybe a screw a isn't as tight as it needs to be. if it only happens when the engine is running, i would think its your gasket that is expanding/shrinking with heat.
Btrain87 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
GP Star
 
Quick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,152
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
           
The valve cover is notorious for leaking and may be running down into that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
Quick10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 338
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
The valve cover is notorious for leaking and may be running down into that area.
Checking it tomorrow, got a guy who builds/rebuilds bike engines tomorrow to come look at it...I Don't think It is coming all the way from the valve cover but then again I cant pen point it so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrain87 View Post
check your engine covers maybe a screw a isn't as tight as it needs to be. if it only happens when the engine is running, i would think its your gasket that is expanding/shrinking with heat.
Checked most all cover screws and everything seems nice and firm I do think it is a gasket though just need to figure out where.

Does anyone know or can point me to a diagram of the shape of the oil pan I need to see how high up it comes.

Thanks,
AC
04-ZX-10r is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
GP Star
 
NinjeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,204
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
The valve cover is notorious for leaking and may be running down into that area.
This statement is very true BUT out of all the valve cover gaskets that I have replaced (gen 1 and gen 2) they all leaked in dribbled in the front towards the headers UNLESS he has too much oil in his bike and the leak is on the backside of the valve gasket
NinjeR is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 338
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
This statement is very true BUT out of all the valve cover gaskets that I have replaced (gen 1 and gen 2) they all leaked in dribbled in the front towards the headers UNLESS he has too much oil in his bike and the leak is on the backside of the valve gasket
Good idea! will be looked at if not tomorrow then monday ill snap some pictures when I get back to the garage tonight so you can get a better idea of what Im going up against. I wouldn't say I had to much oil in it, right at 3/4 full on the eye glass (so a little full but not slammed packed) Im not sure how finicky these things are on oil level.
04-ZX-10r is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
GP Star
 
NinjeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,204
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04-ZX-10r View Post
Good idea! will be looked at if not tomorrow then monday ill snap some pictures when I get back to the garage tonight so you can get a better idea of what Im going up against. I wouldn't say I had to much oil in it, right at 3/4 full on the eye glass (so a little full but not slammed packed) Im not sure how finicky these things are on oil level.
Than you don't have too much oil...but since you said when you start it, it dribbles out, how much oil was in it before since it has 3/4 level now? lol
NinjeR is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 338
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
Than you don't have too much oil...but since you said when you start it, it dribbles out, how much oil was in it before since it has 3/4 level now? lol

Well it was 3/4 before, Its right at a half on the eye glass as of now haha I took some pictures which suck but Ill upload anyway in the original post.
04-ZX-10r is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
This statement is very true BUT out of all the valve cover gaskets that I have replaced (gen 1 and gen 2) they all leaked in dribbled in the front towards the headers UNLESS he has too much oil in his bike and the leak is on the backside of the valve gasket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
The valve cover is notorious for leaking and may be running down into that area.


When I did my Valve adjustment this month I had a major Valve cover gasket issue it would leak and run down towards the sprocket side.....I had to clean very good and put some sealant on the Valve cover side sparingly but even....but it does give a FALSE sense of where oil is leaking. Now not a drop but watching closely and now know where to look first the Valve Cover when Oil is leaking on the floor.

I have a New valve cover gasket but don't think I need it at this time and read many threads where that doesn't cure the problem. I think a good cleaning and even spread of sealant is the answer on the top part of the gasket and to do it right(meaning the cleaning) you need to pop the throttle bodies off( but not remove completely) and take the valve cover off then clean and prep with sealant and clean with a non harmful degrease r the the gasket and then put back together and let it cure....fire the bike up then ride.

bloo
bluedevil is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 338
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post


When I did my Valve adjustment this month I had a major Valve cover gasket issue it would leak and run down towards the sprocket side.....I had to clean very good and put some sealant on the Valve cover side sparingly but even....but it does give a FALSE sense of where oil is leaking. Now not a drop but watching closely and now know where to look first the Valve Cover when Oil is leaking on the floor.

I have a New valve cover gasket but don't think I need it at this time and read many threads where that doesn't cure the problem. I think a good cleaning and even spread of sealant is the answer on the top part of the gasket and to do it right(meaning the cleaning) you need to pop the throttle bodies off( but not remove completely) and take the valve cover off then clean and prep with sealant and clean with a non harmful degrease r the the gasket and then put back together and let it cure....fire the bike up then ride.

bloo

This makes me feel better, I freaked when I walked out and saw the oil under it today. I thought the block cracked or somthing else crazy (I always seems to think the worst first haha). I was in a hurry today but tomorrow the tear down begins. Im guessing the motor will have to be droped to get the valve cover off?? or can it be done from the top?
04-ZX-10r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 ZX10R Water Pump/Oil Pump leak notjeep The ZX-10R 4 09-17-2013 10:07 PM
gas leak chad_lawrence Performance and Tech 0 03-03-2010 09:26 PM
oil leak beau23024 Performance and Tech 2 05-16-2008 11:11 AM
HELP!!! Oil leak! steeleballs420 Performance and Tech 4 09-09-2007 01:46 PM
Oil Leak !!! mikebar4 Performance and Tech 1 11-15-2006 01:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome