1989 with a 'clunky' rear end - need some help - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

1989 with a 'clunky' rear end - need some help

I just purchased a 1989 ZX-10 with only 20,000 km on it. Bought it from a friend. Obviously it has been sitting for a while. After driving it for a week I have noticed that the rear end is very clunky on a shift.. both up and down. The cushion drive in the rear hub, are they historically a 'clunky' design. Is this something I will have to get used to, its horrible.

Also the rear shock, nitrogen right??

Has anybody found an oil that helps smooth out the shifting in the tranny. I have 10W40bike oil in there now (non synthetic) and want to change it, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ZX10BURNER
Darren,
I have an 89 ZX-10, am the original owner. First, replace the cush drive in the rear hub they do wear out. Second the 10s/11s are notorious for clunking going into first gear, try Redline or Amsoil or any quality synth oil that should help. The rear shock was an air type or if you have access nitrogen, I'd scrap it and find an Ohlins, WP, or Penske. You can use the Ohlins for the ZX-11 all you will need is the 11 eyelet bolt and you'll be good to go.

Get rid of the rubbber brake lines and go with Galfer or Russell braided. Exhausts are hard to come by now if you can find one go with Micron or Muzzy they made the most power with a Stage I kit and K&N filter; ing advance to 4 degrees (I'lll have to double check) and have your cams degreed you should see around 130 rwhp and 70-72 lbs or torque.

There are a few pics of mine on the site also a few in my profile as well.

It's Not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I love the pipe and the black rims, I was considering getting mine done over the winter. The K&N air filter, is that just a swap from the stock one? And I noticed the brakes to be a little spungy as well, will look at braided lines in the future. Is your pipe full or slip on. I am looking at a full D&D. You are correct, aftermarket exhausts are hard to find for this bike. What weight synthetic oil do you recommend?

I'm coming off a motocross bike and even though I did have a street bike when I was younger this street stuff is still new to me.... I still want to put my foot down entering a corner :)

thanks for the quick reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Darren,
The exhaust is a Muzzy header/mid-pipe with custome Blue Flame can www.blueflameperformance.com wasn't cheap but I was pleased with the end result. The wheels are Dymag magnesium 5 spoke with 530 chain/sprockets using OE gearing 17/45. Braking department, Russell steel braided lines front/rear, Galfer rotors, Brembo 34/36 Goldline calipers, and Galfer Green pads up front. One of these days I need to drop the stock rear caliper and go with Brembo. Suspension, rear is Ohlins 46ERS #KA 811, front is revalved/resprung.

The engine has been massaged a little, with 40K miles and 21 years old it still runs strong. Over the years I've had the bike dyno'd multiple times in different parts of the country on different dynos and the read outs all come within 2 hp of each other. By today's standard it's a dinosaur but it still puts a silly grin on my face when I twist the throttle. For the longest time it was my daily driver and saw a bit of track time that was until I bought my 04 now it doesn't see quite as much use.

Oil, I've been using 10W40 occasionally I'll use 20W50 due to the heat in VA. Between the 2 weights I haven't noticed a tremendous difference in performace; during the summer it runs slightly cooler with the 20W50.

I wouldn't recommed the D&D exhaust unless you don't mind LOUD. Take a look a the Micron Exhaust site they still offer a few systems for the 10 http://store.micronexhaust.com/index...ki&model=ZX-10 The K&N filter is a direct swap, it flows a bit more air than stock and can be cleaned. Finally, I have instructions somewhere on doing a conversion of a ZX-11 rear wheel to the ZX-10, it's not too difficult.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I will be looking at the Micron exhaust, thanks for that link. I will also be replacing the air filter with the K&N one as well. I will also be looking into the braided brake lines because I do think the current setup is way too soft. My brother in law builds racing snowmobiles and motocross bikes. I ran your suggestions by him and he is 100% agreeable to them all. So the next thing I have to ask myself is do I want to 'upgrade' the bike I drive to work everyday to have a bit more zip.... or do I want to build a MoNsTeR?? :)

Its gonna take some time but Frankenstein is on the way!!!!

Thanks for the help, I will post some pics and keep you updated!!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post

I'm coming off a motocross bike and even though I did have a street bike when I was younger this street stuff is still new to me.... I still want to put my foot down entering a corner :)
Ha, I used to have that problem when I first switched to street way back when.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #7 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Darren,
I have a friend in Chicago that rode/drag raced an 89 ZX-10; the bike was putting 160 hp to the rear wheel. That kind of hp out the 10 engine is impressive the down side was he blew the motor multiple times. You can get a reliable/street-able 140-145hp, with the right engine builder (that has working knowledge of the 10/11 engines) 150hp is possible. I wouldn’t recommend anything beyond 150hp unless you want to spend your off time in the engine instead of riding.

From my own experience, modding the 10 was enjoyable however there were times it became very frustrating and required major patience. Basic parts are available, if you start getting into major mods/engine work be prepared to wait because a good share of parts aren’t normally in stock. Also you will find that when you change/mod one thing it may cause you to mod several other things to get the first mod to work properly. For example, when I put the Brembo calipers on the stock rotors were not thick enough nor did they have enough surface area for the calipers/pads to work properly, which drove me to buy the Galfer rotors. Another example is cams; hard welded rocker arms are needed along with springs (depending on the cam choice) and adjustable cam sprockets. Not trying to discourage you, just understand what you could be in for. Take a look at www.zxzone.com and www.orientexpress.com two good sources for parts/knowledge on the ZX engines. Also take a look at www.bigbikeworld.com it’s dedicated to the ZX-11 however the members there have a vast knowledge base on the ZX engines.

Like any bike it really comes down to how much money and time you want to spend on the bike. Keep in mind due to the age of the bike you will not re-coupe the money you put into it unless you find a person that is looking for that specific bike/mods.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Dont get me wrong guys

The bike is just a fun thing to have. I have always wanted a sport bike with a pipe on it, always. So I am going to make that happen.

Here's my plan:

4 into 1 exhaust or slip ons, not sure yet but it will ride on cost alone
braided brake lines
stage 1 kit
maybe play with the timing but not sure
K&N air filter to replace the stock one

Then I'm done. I will not spend a whack load of $$ on this bike because I dont have a whack load of $$ to spend on this bike. Althought if anybody has any other low cost things that they could suggest that would be great. I have a son going into college this sept and another one in the wings for 2012 so cash is tight.

I have to keep in mind that 1st gear in the city can = speeding ticket. 3rd gear on the highway can = a racing charge, loss of licence, higher insurance and an impounded bike. Its good to live in ont canada....

Parts, holy cow you are correct they are hard to find but I will keep looking. Its not going to happen in a weekend but I will 'get er done'!!

I appreciate all the responses to this thread, the ppl on this site rock!!! You guys have put together some sick looking bikes from the pics I have seen!! just beautiful........
post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

pics of old bike PLZ
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Pics as requested

As you can see it is totally stock and carrys just over 20,000kms on it (12,427 miles for my american friends). Bought it from my cousins neighbour. It sat under a cover for almost the last 10 yrs. I will work on better pics in a bit, just snapped these at lunch.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in