16 Tooth Sprocket Mod - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

16 Tooth Sprocket Mod

well i finally did the 16 tooth mod and put a k & N air filter on my 2006 and you guys were right, now the bike has some serious bottom end. I haven't ridden much since i did it so i can't give a great comparison as of yet. But i do notice quite a difference in how the bike accelerates. I am very pleased.

If you guys read my roll-on story with the 2006 gsx-r you will know why i did the mod. My buddies bike jumped me and i couldn't catch him. I was totally pissed off. I am waiting to race again, i think its going to be a different outcome.

This winter i want to get a full race akrapovic system with power commander and TRE. But money isn't plentiful all the time.

Thanks for the advice to go with this sprocket.

Oh yeah, and for anyone that has ever tried to get the nut off the counter sprocket on this bike will know how fun that was. It might as well have been welded on, my buddy and i tried for an hour with a decent impact and finally a 3 foot snipe and strong arm broke it loose.

I guess i need a speedo healer now, does anyone know where to get one, how hard is it to install and how much one costs?

Last edited by modpup; 08-24-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Check the sponsors...

15 minute installation....

It's a snap...
post #3 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy
Check the sponsors...

15 minute installation....

It's a snap...

BUT if you decide to re-route the SpeedoHealer cable once you've already snapped the white connectors on the SpeedoHealer cable to the black connectors on the bike (this will make sense when you do the install), and you need to disconnect the connectors to do the re-route, be very careful to pull only on the plastic connector body and not at all on the wires leading into the connector. Those wires can slide out of the connector body with unexpected ease, and the delicate nature of the female ends by which they attach to the connector body makes it nearly impossible to repair such a problem! If you can't fix this problem without damaging the delicate female ends (I couldn't), you have to buy a new cable.

I hope this helps you avoid my $40 mistake! :headshake

GD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by modpup
well i finally did the 16 tooth mod and put a k & N air filter on my 2006 and you guys were right, now the bike has some serious bottom end. I haven't ridden much since i did it so i can't give a great comparison as of yet. But i do notice quite a difference in how the bike accelerates. I am very pleased.

If you guys read my roll-on story with the 2006 gsx-r you will know why i did the mod. My buddies bike jumped me and i couldn't catch him. I was totally pissed off. I am waiting to race again, i think its going to be a different outcome.

This winter i want to get a full race akrapovic system with power commander and TRE. But money isn't plentiful all the time.

Thanks for the advice to go with this sprocket.

Oh yeah, and for anyone that has ever tried to get the nut off the counter sprocket on this bike will know how fun that was. It might as well have been welded on, my buddy and i tried for an hour with a decent impact and finally a 3 foot snipe and strong arm broke it loose.

I guess i need a speedo healer now, does anyone know where to get one, how hard is it to install and how much one costs?
Speedohealer - Cal-Sportbike is the US importer (and a site sponsor, so deal with them through this site), their website page for the SH is: http://www.calsportbike.com/sh , and Speedohealer's website is: http://www.speedohealer.com . You want or will need to order the universal kit, lists for $90, and search here for posts by me and sewman for some how-to instructions.

TRE - I say do it now, it's cheap (TRE-009, $60, http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm ) and for the 06 most have found it does make a diff down low. Again, if you are going to do it, search here for 06 TRE install instructions, there are some things to watch out for.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster
TRE - I say do it now, it's cheap (TRE-009, $60, http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm ) and for the 06 most have found it does make a diff down low. Again, if you are going to do it, search here for 06 TRE install instructions, there are some things to watch out for.
You may want to find out in advance whether you need a Power Commander to properly use a TRE on the '06. Again, I found out the hard way (so many personal failings revealed in this little thread . . . :headshake ) that the TRE for the '04-'05 also requires (I heard this from Ivan's mouth) use of a Power Commander to correct low-rpm fuelling issues brought on by the TRE. Ivan's website doesn't mention this issue re: any of the ZX-10R TREs, but only the Suzuki TREs are described as "smart" and not requiring any fuel injection moods to work properly, so the '06 likely needs a Power Commander . . . Maybe a call to Ivan is in order before your order is in.

I thought the TRE mod wouold be a nice, low-cost mod for my '05, but finding out after I had the TRE in hand that I needed to spend several hundred dollars to make it work right didn't exactly sweeten the deal.

Forewarned is forearmed!

GD
post #6 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks guys for your help, i appreciate all your opinions.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dude
You may want to find out in advance whether you need a Power Commander to properly use a TRE on the '06. Again, I found out the hard way (so many personal failings revealed in this little thread . . . :headshake ) that the TRE for the '04-'05 also requires (I heard this from Ivan's mouth) use of a Power Commander to correct low-rpm fuelling issues brought on by the TRE. Ivan's website doesn't mention this issue re: any of the ZX-10R TREs, but only the Suzuki TREs are described as "smart" and not requiring any fuel injection moods to work properly, so the '06 likely needs a Power Commander . . . Maybe a call to Ivan is in order before your order is in.

I thought the TRE mod wouold be a nice, low-cost mod for my '05, but finding out after I had the TRE in hand that I needed to spend several hundred dollars to make it work right didn't exactly sweeten the deal.

Forewarned is forearmed!

GD
NO POWERCOMMANDER REQUIRED FOR TRE ON THE 06 ZX10, per Ivan's own posts . . . it's a different animal than the 04-05 TRE
post #8 of 15 Old 08-24-2006, 06:04 PM

Posting Frequency

you dont need a power commander for the TRE mod on the 06 i have it and you should get it. it does make a very noticible difference
post #9 of 15 Old 08-25-2006, 01:20 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster
NO POWERCOMMANDER REQUIRED FOR TRE ON THE 06 ZX10, per Ivan's own posts . . . it's a different animal than the 04-05 TRE
Dagnabbit! Lucky '06-owning so--and-so's!

GD
post #10 of 15 Old 08-25-2006, 08:27 PM

Posting Frequency

whats the tre mod, im new to the zx 10 world i just bought a new 06r1 but i might be changing to a 07 10r in blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in