1/5th throttle conversion how-to w/ ***pics*** - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking 1/5th throttle conversion how-to w/ ***pics***

Here we go, round two.

This is a relatively simple mod, IMO. Im not very mechanically inclined, and I got er done.

First you unscrew the two screws for the throttle cable housing. I wrecked and scratched mine up and had to get an impact driver to get the screws out. Stock I would imagine that wouldn't be necessary.

Then slide the rubber "condom" down off of the aluminum thottle housing and down the throttle cables to assist in removing the housing.

You will need to dremmel out the "walls" on the inside of the housing thats closest to your brake lever.

Before:

After:

If you dont dremmel it out then you will have problems with your throttle binding.

Next is the throttle cable adjustment. In my case I had to adjust both adjustments...the one above the radiator...

and the one near the throttle bodies.

To get the maximum adjustment from each, I cut off the lock rings on each. I just used some dikes and was careful.

Now, getting to that second adjustment is somewhat tricky due to the need to remove the tank and airbox. However, Ill tell you the trick.

to remove the tank, you need to remove the two bolts at the top, and then your seat to get to the other bolt. with those three bolts removed, quick disconnect the fuel line to the pump, the vent hose, and the electric connection on the subframe on your shift lever side.

Now, If youre standing on the thottle side of the bike, looking at the airbox, remove the 5 allen bolts you see. Then separate the rubber ram air tubes from the box to allow free movement. The ram air gets in the way sort of. ow pull the airbox up SLIGHTLY, then twist it 90 degrees counter clockwise to allow the bulge in the airbox to move toward the battery.

Took a bit of elbow grease, but no big deal. Installation is just the opposite. Just takes a bit of finagglin!

with that removed, you can now freely acces the throttle cable adjustment.

BTW, if you want new velocity stacks, nows the time to do it!

Then all you have left to do is slip the 1/5th insert over the throttle and re-connect the cables. I had the latest so theres a grove that the cables slide in.

Even with cutting the lock nuts off of my cables, I still had to play with the placement of the throttle on my clip-on...On my bike I have adjusted the brake lever from stock and also moved the clip-on outward for more leverage.

But with mine, I slid the throttle up till it butted up against the kill switch mount, and then my srewdriver had JUST enough room to screw in the lower screw.

But I still have the same snap as stock did. NO BINDING, with stock cables.

I prolly missed something, but thats most of it and it gives you a good idea of what you'll be up against!

Cant wait to see what its like on the track now!

Dont forget to hook your stuff back to the bottom of your tank before you get it all bolted back together...

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 04:26 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

good job ya ol shitkicker

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 04:34 PM

Posting Frequency

:iamwithst
Like he said, but with out the shi...kicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Stud_wit_style Send a message via Yahoo to Stud_wit_style
what does this mod do? never heard of it...

2007 Toyota Tundra SR5, 2WD, DCAB, 5.7L, JBL Audio System, Fast as F*%k
post #5 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_wit_style
what does this mod do? never heard of it...
makes the throw on your throttle shorter...

Instead of turning the grip 90 degrees to obtain WOT, its only 72 or something...

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #6 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 05:56 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100
:iamwithst
Like he said, but with the shitkicker

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #7 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 08:55 PM

Posting Frequency

Nice write up! A quick note on installing the throttle housing, there is a hole in the clipons that a tab on the housing fits into to properly position the housing.
post #8 of 354 Old 10-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Thanks hillcountry.... awsome post.

I'm looking at getting another set of cables and moding them to give more slack (trim off the nuts and shorten the threaded cable housing. The tentioners arn't able to be screwed in much more with just the lock nuts cut off (the lower one can but the upper bottoms out before it runs out of threads)

I would sell them as a kit (moded cables, milled housing, and insert) and the customer would send their stock cables and housing back to me for the next guy....

I'll keep ya'll posted on it.

Thanks again HC.... you are top notch my friend.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #9 of 354 Old 10-30-2005, 07:45 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman
I'm looking at getting another set of cables and moding them to give more slack (trim off the nuts and shorten the threaded cable housing. The tentioners arn't able to be screwed in much more with just the lock nuts cut off (the lower one can but the upper bottoms out before it runs out of threads)
You can get custom cables made-to-order from Motion Pro:

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/maincables.html?PHPSESSID=aca1faec5e100b2d4155e188 2ab301ef

Just tell 'em you need cables for a ZX-10R that are longer than stock by whatever length you need.
post #10 of 354 Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks Hill, you just cost me $25!!!!!

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!

Last edited by mach_man_187; 10-30-2005 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in