Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

07 Gen 2 knocking noise

632 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SpazOnaZX 
#1 ·
2 weeks ago went on a Sunday run with my Gen 2. Really enjoyed it and did some roll ons with the guys. This engine really continues to impress me. It punches so hard for its age. My hike has 56,000kms on it, doesn't use any oil between services and I've fitted a single side Two Brothers slipon with some flashing to suit. After about 60kms on the way home via my favorite mountain pass, while coming out of the last bend I heard what sounded like a bearing knock. I pulled over, selected neutral, listened. The engine was knocking as if it dropped a bearing or a valve. No oil light or any other tell tale signs but strangely no misfire or rumble through the bars. It started raining and I was 15kms from home, I thought I'd creep home at low revs. Rode real slow, knocking increasing with the revs but no loss of power, misfire or warning light. As I got to a traffic light, the bike cut out. I thought I'd bombed the motor. Tried starting it, it swung with resistance. As if it was dragging. Now the rain got worse. Rocked it in 1st gear. Tried again. Bike started up immediately, noise gone, no drag on the engine. Rode home but took it easy. Parked it off and waiting for cash. Tried to start it recently and as it swung there was drag. Like it was pressed up against something somewhere. Rocked it 1st gear again, started it. Starts first time, idles fine, no noise. What could that be? My first thought was timing chain tensioner. But could it fail like that and suddenly work again? When the engine runs I can hear a slightly grundy or scraping noise. It's not as quiet as it used used to be.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.