06-07 Swingarm Cover Question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

06-07 Swingarm Cover Question

Has anyone removed the cover plate on the right side of the swingarm that hides the exhaust Y pipe? I can't tell if it is there as a cover or for structural reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I tried, but the screws are made of cheese, and chew up really quickly. I got the top one of the three off but the others are stuck fast. This is on a bike that's done 1200miles and never seen rain, so I don't know what it will be like after a couple of years corrosion. I reckon they'll have to be drilled out and decent replacements fitted, it's a problem with late model Kawasakis, they've saved pennies by fitting poor quality fasteners.

I don't think it's structural, it looks like a cover or heat shield.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I was able to remove mine but it was on very tight like yours so I started to wonder if it was adding flex support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

yea stripped the shit out of all mine with less then 200 miles on the bike

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."
post #5 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

The plate is structural. It keeps down the flex. The BSB and supersport boys take them off to increase the flex but they DO NOT recomend it for the road unless you have track smooth routes where you are.

Rehearsal? Get on with it.

06 ZX-10R, Full R&G, WP Rear shock, WP Full Forks, PCIII, Custom Underbelly Exhaust, GIPro, 08 swingarm, 175 at the wheel.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Posting Frequency

Yep the bolts are tight and will strip easily ya need to heat them a little and they come right out found this out after the fact lost a couple on mine in the prosses then called the dealer and the mechanic said heat them up first worked like a charm
post #7 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Hammy, thanks for verifying that. The appearance led me to believe it was just protection for the Y-Pipe and exhaust valve but seeing how sturdy it was and how solidly it was attached made me wonder.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Here is what you do, take a sturdy center punch, and center it in the bottom of the bolt holes, give the center punch a very firm whack with a big hammer several times, this will break up a little of the loctite that these bolts are held in with. Also make damn sure you have as close to a brand new hex for this operation, I used a brand new long handle allen wrench with a 10mm deep 3/8 drive socket and a 18inch extension slipped over the long end for leverage, turning ever so slowly and being very carefull to keep the wrench burried. If it looks like it is going to strip, stopp and hammer and punch some more. I got all three of mine out this way with only a very minor slip on the top right one. Here is another tip, if you can get the left two out clean you can take the plate and move it back and forth and hopefully break the torque on the upper right bolt. Kawi really went overboard with the torque and loctite on these things, they are a bitch but can be got.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #9 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexydog43 View Post
Yep the bolts are tight and will strip easily ya need to heat them a little and they come right out found this out after the fact lost a couple on mine in the prosses then called the dealer and the mechanic said heat them up first worked like a charm

Didn't you melt the paint this way? Thats why I did not try that, I know that would work, but I would have thought it would have melted the paint.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #10 of 15 Old 05-30-2007, 01:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

yeah, they are a pain, i got 2 of the 3 bolts out and i completely stripped the other one. It was a very frustrating en devour.

I ended up taking it to the dealer for them to undo the stripped one, I also felt that my tank bolts were on waay too tight also, had em nrake those loose also.

old man ran off on his wheelchair

theazzman.com (my blog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in