05 ZX10r shutoff died - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

05 ZX10r shutoff died

Hey guys
Upon returning from Costa Rica to ride my 10R, aquick ride results in a dead bike.
A little history. 05 5K miles stock,ridden every week,Aftermarket key that is kinda hard to turn,green...

Turning into a corner after a 20 min ride and the power just shuts off. Wiggled battery connections at battery and nothing. Wait about 20 min and bike will power on and crank and then die. After that Nothing,decide to get a new battery because this one might have a bad cell and is 3 years old.

Charge new battery 12 [email protected] 1.5 amps. Install in bike,get about 500 ft and go to turn and then it dies again. Nothing after that.

Possible problems
bad key switch
Wiring problem
battery wasn't fully charged/bad
voltage regulator or other

I'm thinking towards key switch or wiring problem because it died both times attempting to turn .

What do you guys think? I tried to search shutoff and died and came up with nothing.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Is it only happening in a corner? Does it matter which corner, right or left? Two more possibles, kickstand switch...this has happened to a few members. And the tip over sensor, not a typical problem but a possible.

Try the kickstand switch first, unplug it and jump it between the connectors in the plug. make sure your kickstand is fully up, and go for a ride. Warning, the bike, if done properly, will crank and run with the kickstand down. If after the ride it doesn't shut off, this is the culprit, if it does shut off then look at the tip over sensor. I would also suggest getting a service manual either hard copy or download it here. Check to see if your are getting any error codes from the ecu.

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2008, 03:18 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread70 View Post
Is it only happening in a corner? Does it matter which corner, right or left? Two more possibles, kickstand switch...this has happened to a few members. And the tip over sensor, not a typical problem but a possible.

Try the kickstand switch first, unplug it and jump it between the connectors in the plug. make sure your kickstand is fully up, and go for a ride. Warning, the bike, if done properly, will crank and run with the kickstand down. If after the ride it doesn't shut off, this is the culprit, if it does shut off then look at the tip over sensor. I would also suggest getting a service manual either hard copy or download it here. Check to see if your are getting any error codes from the ecu.

Tread
sounds like it safety switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Does the lights and the cluster also die?
or just the engine?

Checked the Main Fuse out?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Shorty's Performance

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madnessracing Send a message via MSN to madnessracing
that sound like a bad ground!!

Shorty's Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in