05 zx10 just shuts off - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

05 zx10 just shuts off

Need some help here...

2005 ZX10r, 16,000 miles, great condition, only mods is air filter and scorpion street extreme slip on, no PCIII..

anyways.. heres the deal

The bike will just randomly shut off...

1. You'll be running constant speed and the FI light will come on and go right back off. The bike continues to run fine...

2. You'll be running constant speed, the FI light comes on, blinks and bike surges but continues to run..

3. Most of the time the FI light comes on and the bike dies. If I pull in the clutch and try to start the bike it will just crank, but If I turn the key off and then back on, the bike starts fine and runs.

The FI light never stays on, so I can't get a code off of it... I unplugged the exhaust servo and read the code just to make sure I was doing it right...

Today I replaced the fuel pump and filter... The bike ran for 45 mins riding around and then started the list above....

When the bike dies and I coast to a stop, I can't hear any fuel pump running at all.. but when i key off and key on, I can hear the pump prime.. I've also tested the pump relay on the bench and it passed fine...

The bike has never been down and has never had one once of trouble before this...

Let me know what you guys think, bad relay? Bad Sensors? I wish it would leave the FI light on so I could at least get a code..

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Last edited by b00g2003; 07-09-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
That's a good one man, shit....it has to be either electrical or fuel related, maybe both? I would almost wanna say it's the rectifier or the stator starting to go out but don't think so with what you've described.

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #3 of 38 Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yeah Man.. It makes it hard that its so random... At first I thought it was fuel (reason why I replaced the pump) but now i'm not sure...

Thanks for your input, I'll keep it in thought... I just wish it would leave the FI light on for some code..

That pretty funny, most people want their FI light off, and I'm praying it stays on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Well best of luck with it man and hopefully someone else will chime in with a good diagnosis but keep us posted if you figure it out before then.

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #5 of 38 Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I can tell you my story, I don't know if it will help:

I had the same symptoms. Turns out my camshaft position sensor lead was mis-routed too close to the fan. The fan chewed thru the wires enough to cause an intermittent. The bike would stall with FI light, then after a few moments not runnung, it would be able to re-start.

Rolling down the road after a while, the fan would turn back on interrupting the cam sensor again,....

Thou Shalt Respect Thy 10, And Revel In It's Power, For It Is Good, And Plentiful.
post #6 of 38 Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshead View Post
I can tell you my story, I don't know if it will help:

I had the same symptoms. Turns out my camshaft position sensor lead was mis-routed too close to the fan. The fan chewed thru the wires enough to cause an intermittent. The bike would stall with FI light, then after a few moments not runnung, it would be able to re-start.

Rolling down the road after a while, the fan would turn back on interrupting the cam sensor again,....
At this point I'm willing to try anything!! I thought about yanking the mid fairings off tonight and taking a look.. I'll be sure to check that...

Thanks again man!! For a while there I thought I was the only one with goofy problems!!

I appreciate the help and will let you guys know what I find.. Thanks!
post #7 of 38 Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Check your battery connections!!
I had this same thing happen to me two days after I bought my 05.
Come to find out the previous owner replaced the battery but neglected to tighten the terminals.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

U have an anti-thief key which is codded with a chip.
when your key is not linked properly with your bike computer, FI light will come ON.
When your remove it and reinsert, you reestablish the link between the key and the computer.
First you should try to use your second key.
If it work, go buy a new one and throw the defective one out...

worked for mine. I was unable to start at all and the FI light was ON.

good luck
post #9 of 38 Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm having the same problems as well. It Happens twice the same week I bought the bike (3 months ago) and just happened again yesterday and each time its been on I95 in rush hour...really scary when you stall on a highway. I work at a large dealership and none of the techs can figure out whats wrong. Please help
post #10 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Help!!

I'm having the same problems as the original post. Same bike. Did you ever find out the problem? Any idea will help. I was told it may be dirty injectors. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in