05 ZX-10R no horn - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

05 ZX-10R no horn

Hey, I recently bought an 05 ZX-10 as my first bike and I'm trying to get the horn working so I can get my inspection sticker and endorsement.
I'm still learning the in's, out's, and mechanics of riding so it's not that I'm speeding everywhere but I've learned already that cops devote their full attention to you if you happen to be riding a sportbike, and I'd rather not get pulled over for no reason whatsoever then get a ticket for riding without a license.

When I went to the DMV to get the bike registered and get my endorsement they said I need an inspection sticker before I could use my bike for the skills test that's when I realized my horn doesn't work.

I pulled and replaced the fuse with a new one, since all of my light and signal switches work fine I assumed it was the horn itself and replaced it with a used OEM horn, still no luck. It was getting late last night so I called it a night after removing the switch assembly from the handlebar and inspecting the wires and solder contacts and it all looks good. I'm working out of town during the week so this weekend I'll try and take the horn switch completely off and check the contacts on it (my buddy has a spare switch assembly that I can replace it with).

I looked through the service manual and didn't see a relay for the horn. Does anyone know of a horn relay somewhere else besides the relay box that I overlooked? And any ideas on other things I can check would be appreciated, just want to have a gameplan set up so I can get the horn working and do some riding this weekend and be ready to get my endorsement when I get some time off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine quite to but i think they just croak from lack of use,i would just repace the horn if i was you.
Also that is the only thing i have had go
so pretty dam good.

Last edited by shift; 11-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The horns usually have an adjustment screw on the back of them. Basically take the horn off the lower tripple. Loosen the lock nut and while holding down the horn button slowly back the screw out. Just an idea. It may just be simply dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

So you guys think both are bad? My horn wasn't working I thought that's what it was so I bought a replacement (OEM used) and still didn't work.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxtrott View Post
The horns usually have an adjustment screw on the back of them. Basically take the horn off the lower tripple. Loosen the lock nut and while holding down the horn button slowly back the screw out. Just an idea. It may just be simply dead.
..but it is kinda strange that even the replacement horn didn't work?
post #6 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Are you getting power to the horn??

Take the two connectors off (it's easy) and put a voltmeter across them while having an assistant press the horn button.

Power but no workie? Horn is bad. No power? Circuit is bad or switch is bad.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #7 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Are you getting power to the horn??

Take the two connectors off (it's easy) and put a voltmeter across them while having an assistant press the horn button.

Power but no workie? Horn is bad. No power? Circuit is bad or switch is bad.
Yea my friend has a meter so we may check voltage before we plug in the new switch assembly. It just feels like your ahead of the game when you install something out of guesswork and that be the part that's broken. On the other hand if that's not it you realize you just wasted your time and have to undo everything you just did hah.

Just lookin to pick everyones brain in case nothing I try works and I'm stuck scratching my head.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I had the same problems with a few horns on various bikes, sometimes the screw on the horn is too tight and doesn't cause the horn to beep. try messing with the horn since you have power to the wires.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3243 View Post
So you guys think both are bad? My horn wasn't working I thought that's what it was so I bought a replacement (OEM used) and still didn't work.
Sorry I didnt fully read your post. Not likely that 2 horns are bad, but if you have power then it dont leave much eles. Dont forget that the horn needs to be grounded while you test.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

horn

seen more bad contacts inside at horn button than anything else. never seen a bad horn itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
horn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in