05 Winter Project - Valve Adjustment Required? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

05 Winter Project - Valve Adjustment Required?

Hey,

So I've recently started my winter project and thanks to the help I got in this forum from other members its been a breeze so far. The following is a list of what I've purchased for my 10.

1. Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator
2. Puig Racing Double Bubble Windscreen
3. K&N Performance Air Filter
4. Two Brothers Racing M2 M5 VALE Slip On
5. Carbone Lorraine SBK-5 Front Pads
6. Carbone Lorraine RX3 Street Rear Pads
7. RK Chain / Vortex Sprockets 520 Chain Conversion Kit
8. EBC SRK Clutch Rebuild Kit
9. APE Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
10. Western Powersports Battery
11. Odds and Ends (Tank pad, stickers etc)

I've already installed the fender eliminator kit, brake pads, air filter, double bubble, exhaust, chain and sprokets, manual cam chain tensioner and battery.

I have two tasks left on my list to do and these are the clutch install and valve check. From installing clutches on my old 750Z and from what I've read here on this forum I'm confident this task should be easy and I'm not overly concerned about it, however I am concerned about tackling the valve job on my own since I've never done a job like this.

My 05 has just over 23 000kms on it and a friend of mine said I should be getting the valves checked soon. Are there symptoms of valves needing adjustment and is this something that needs to checked ASAP? This is something I will have to try myself since the nearest shop that can check these for me is about 4 hours away. If I don't check/adjust the valves what risk am I taking?

Thanks again for everything folks, thus far you guys made things much easier for me.

Cheers

Last edited by muggz; 03-11-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggz View Post
Hey,

My 05 has just over 23 000kms on it and a friend of mine said I should be getting the valves checked soon. Are there syptoms of valves needing adjustment and is this something that needs to checked ASAP? This is something I will have to try myself since the nearest shop that can check these for me is about 4 hours away. If I don't check/adjust the valves what risk am I taking?

Thanks again for everything folks, thus far you guys made things much easier for me.

Cheers

Yes it is important that you do the check. You also need to check the valve spring retainers as well. If you don't do this check and make the adjustements to keep everything in spec you take the chance of having to spend big money to have the head rebuilt and possibly the motor itself if you end up dropping a valve.

I had mine checked at 13K miles and had one shim on the exhaust side out of spec. At 20K miles I has 3 broken retainers and had to have the head rebuilt to the tune of $1700. Luckily I didn't drop a valve. Don't let your scheduled maintenance lapse.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
Yes it is important that you do the check. You also need to check the valve spring retainers as well. If you don't do this check and make the adjustements to keep everything in spec you take the chance of having to spend big money to have the head rebuilt and possibly the motor itself if you end up dropping a valve.

I had mine checked at 13K miles and had one shim on the exhaust side out of spec. At 20K miles I has 3 broken retainers and had to have the head rebuilt to the tune of $1700. Luckily I didn't drop a valve. Don't let your scheduled maintenance lapse.
Do you know of any thread links on this forum that describe this procedure or even show some pictures that could assist me? Also when i pull the valve covers off, is the gasket reuseable or should I order one? I'm about to place an order for a valve shim kit and I'm also going to order the retainers to swap out just to be on the safe side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71196

This link will take you to a thread that has a couple of other links with pictures and tutorial. I would go ahead and replace the gasket although it is probably ok to reuse.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71196

This link will take you to a thread that has a couple of other links with pictures and tutorial. I would go ahead and replace the gasket although it is probably ok to reuse.
Awesome thanks for the help, safe riding!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in