05 relay assembly sounds like a geiger counter - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

05 relay assembly sounds like a geiger counter

Folks - I need some help if possible. I have an 05 ZX10 that seems like it may have cylinders dropping in an out. It happens at idle and just about every where in the rpm range. I noticed the problem on my second track session yesterday morning. I knew something was wrong because the bike sounded strange, wasn't pulling as hard and was bucking a bit. Riding back through the paddock the 10 was bucking and sometimes sounded like and EX500.

I pulled the seat and tank to check all the connections. Everything seems tight, dry and secure. The rely assemble however sounds like a geiger counter. I never noticed this sound before. When it is popping and clicking the motor is running rough. When the motor is running smooth the relay is relatively quiet.

I have searched the site and I see "noise related to the relay" is common but how much noise is too much? As I said, I used the search feature but I haven't seen many resolution to said "relay assemble making noise" or a confirmation that the assembly was the problem and swapping it out fixed it.

The bike is basically stock. It does has a GiPro and a Muzzy slip-on. I disconnected the GiPro and no change. The bike hasn't seen water in 6 months so it's probably not a wet connection issue. The tank is full of fresh gas. The kick stand switch is still firmly attached and hasn't moved. All wire connections seem secure and tight. The battery and ground connections are solid. The bike has 4200 miles on it, that includes about 10 track days. I bought it new and it has never been drop or abused (well I spank her at the track a bit but she likes it like that).

I just down loaded the service manual so I will go through the trouble shooting procedure for the relay assemble tomorrow. I was hoping (actual lazy is a better description) that someone had actual had this same problem and knows the solution. Thank you for any input.

Update: I swapped relay assemblies and the problem persists.

Last edited by Colinr_69; 05-01-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You may check the battery connections, and ground connection.
Other than that, and as you describe, the relay box might be faulty. (hope is not the ecu..
post #3 of 7 Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Can anyone do me a solid and tell me if their relay assembly is clicking away too? Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinr_69 View Post
Folks - I need some help if possible. I have an 05 ZX10 that seems like it may have cylinders dropping in an out. It happens at idle and just about every where in the rpm range. I noticed the problem on my second track session yesterday morning. I knew something was wrong because the bike sounded strange, wasn't pulling as hard and was bucking a bit. Riding back through the paddock the 10 was bucking and sometimes sounded like and EX500.

I pulled the seat and tank to check all the connections. Everything seems tight, dry and secure. The rely assemble however sounds like a geiger counter. I never noticed this sound before. When it is popping and clicking the motor is running rough. When the motor is running smooth the relay is relatively quiet.

I have searched the site and I see "noise related to the relay" is common but how much noise is too much? As I said, I used the search feature but I haven't seen many resolution to said "relay assemble making noise" or a confirmation that the assembly was the problem and swapping it out fixed it.

The bike is basically stock. It does has a GiPro and a Muzzy slip-on. I disconnected the GiPro and no change. The bike hasn't seen water in 6 months so it's probably not a wet connection issue. The tank is full of fresh gas. The kick stand switch is still firmly attached and hasn't moved. All wire connections seem secure and tight. The battery and ground connections are solid. The bike has 4200 miles on it, that includes about 10 track days. I bought it new and it has never been drop or abused (well I spank her at the track a bit but she likes it like that).

I just down loaded the service manual so I will go through the trouble shooting procedure for the relay assemble tomorrow. I was hoping (actual lazy is a better description) that someone had actual had this same problem and knows the solution. Thank you for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Update: I failed to remember is that I pulled my head light fuse in preparation for the track. When I put it back in the relay went quiet. I assume the head light relay inside the main relay was making the noise. So now I am just going to change the plugs and drain the tank (check the filter in the fuel pump) and put fresh gas in it.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Good to hear that
post #6 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinr_69 View Post

Update: New plugs and fresh gas and new air filter fixed the problem
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Postwhore with an 04

Posting Frequency

Glad you figured it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in