WSMC February Race Report!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

WSMC February Race Report!!

After getting off to a very decent start to the season in January I decided to ignore the weather reports and head back out for round 2 this weekend. I packed up the trailer and left from work Friday afternoon. It was a very, very dicey trip up the mountain in the snow/ice but I made it. It was C O L D at the track. Friday afternoon it had snowed at the track quite a bit and as I unloaded it was muddy/icy everywhere. In the middle of the night I had to get up and let the dog out to pee and even the mud was frozen solid!! It was seriously cold.

I spent most of Saturday morning hanging out in my pit, doing some work on the bike and waiting for it to warm up. I finally got out on the track late morning to find that it was damn cold still and a little slick but very rideable. I ended up getting in a lot of good practice on Saturday afternoon which was a huge surprise given the conditions. I did a fair bit of suspension/geometry and gearing adjustment and was happy with the results.

Sunday I was entered in ALL the Open class races!! So here they are in chronological order.

Race1; Open Superbike. Got a very decent start and quickly picked off a couple guys in the first couple corners and got to work chasing down the guys out front. I was running in 5th or 6th and ended up battling pretty good with one of my closest rivals Mitchel Wissner. We had a great race and I ended up getting by him and chased down 3rd place. I got close, but not close enough to attempt a pass and ended up in 4th. Not a bad start to the weekend. Laptimes were in the 1:24's. I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't sure I'd go that fast in the cold. It was probably under 40 degrees for this race.

Race 2; Open Modified Production. I got another decent start and quickly got by a couple of guys and ended up much like the first race except I finished in 3rd place chasing the same guy as in the first race. More lap times in the 24's so I was pleased.

Race 3; Formula 1. F1 is the premier race at Willow... it's 20 laps and all the fast guys are in it. Last month I was disappointed with my fitness so I killed myself in the gym for the last month. I got a very good start and latched on to about 5th or 6th place and really put in a lot of good laps. I ended up battling with Wissner again and late in the race he got by me for 6th. I tried to fight back but my rear tire was really starting to warn me so I backed off and settled for 7th. I was really, really happy with my improvement in fitness in a months time as I felt great even late in the race. 20 laps going WFO will really kick your ass. 7th in F1 is worht $600 t0o so that really, really made me happy.

Race 4; Open Superstock. This was the second to last race of the day and 2 of the FAST guys sat it out for some reason. I got up the grid, looked around from my grid position and thought "Holy shit, I might win this thing!". I got into T1 behind Wissner and my friend Scott and followed them through T2 and got a much better drive than they did. I drove right between them going into T3 and got them both on the brakes and pretty much checked out from there. It was a really incredible finish to a unexpectedly good weekend of racing. It was VERY COLD but otherwise decent weekend of riding. I can't wait for Round 3 in March!!

For the first time in a very long time I won enough money to pretty much pay for my race weekend and tires which was really just the final touch to a very, very good race weekend.

I'd post some pictures but I haven't got them yet...

In memory of Nate 'Newt' Lynch 3/24/82 to 8/19/03

2011 WSMC #11
2010 California State Championship Open Production Champion

R. Tillery Powersports, Let's Ride Trackdays, LP; Team Privateer, Shoei

Last edited by Quig; 02-16-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Awsome job out there Matt!! Glad to see kicking some butt out there on your kawi. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure you are one of the only fast guys out there on a kawi. A little insite on the last race I know lowry ended up not running it because another rider backed out, so there wouldnt be a full grid. He wasnt getting full points to it was basically worthless for him. Cant wait to see some pictures!
post #3 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split029 View Post
Awsome job out there Matt!! Glad to see kicking some butt out there on your kawi. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure you are one of the only fast guys out there on a kawi. A little insite on the last race I know lowry ended up not running it because another rider backed out, so there wouldnt be a full grid. He wasnt getting full points to it was basically worthless for him. Cant wait to see some pictures!
Thanks!

That makes sense. It was weird to pull up there and not see those guys.... It was fun to come across the line first for a change though!!

2011 WSMC #11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

bad ass man! i wish i had the time and money to get serious. lets see some shots when you get them of you whipping it on

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #5 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I pre-entered for this w/end at Willow but wednesday (today's storm was

first forecasted for sunday pm...) I bailed out...

Already did my share of stuntin' in January with a crash on cold tires (Fonta

na) and riding on the rain (practice)in Vegas..with slicks...

Congrats Matt !!

'06 green ZX-10R Race / '05 orangina ZX-10R track

Wera West Expert #95
post #6 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hopefully 23's are right around the corner for you next month!
post #7 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Even though it turned out better than expected it was probably a good weekend to sit it out J.P. See ya next month?

Yeah, Split, I'm hoping as the conditions improve I can get into the 23's (Good gawd, I NEVER, EVER thought I'd say that!!!). We'll see...

2011 WSMC #11

post #8 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hopefully I can get down into the 28's next month. [On a zx6r.] I know I will be out there friday with track daz working on corner 2 and getting a better drive on 6. My two weak areas.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split029 View Post
Hopefully I can get down into the 28's next month. [On a zx6r.] I know I will be out there friday with track daz working on corner 2 and getting a better drive on 6. My two weak areas.
I'm planning on using that Friday to work on some stuff also. Those are two very, very important places at Willow and key to a good lap time. Good luck next month, hopefully we'll have some better weather.

2011 WSMC #11

post #10 of 17 Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

You may have to tow me around for a few laps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in