What do you think caused this crash? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Vio
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What do you think caused this crash?

Firstly, i'm not sure if this is better in the general section or racing section, but since it is a track video i stuck it here.

I was watching this video the other day and found it strange that he crashed where he did. What do you guys think caused this?

My best guess is that he was too hard on the brakes and was off the gas for too long, overloading the front tire. It doesn't seem like he went in too hot, or got too throttle happy.

I was just curious as to whether you guys had any other thoughts one what could have caused it.

The crash happens around the 2:05 mark:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It actually looks like it was a minor high-side. If you watch after the 2:07 mark, you will notice that the 2 riders in front of him start to leave him upon exiting the corner, then you hear the 'Gusta rider start to get hard on the throttle and thats when you see the rear slide and come out from under him. Simply put... too much throttle early with that lean angle he had. Maybe he used shitty rubber.

CCS/ASRA AM #567 Suck my Laughing Gas...Haha

My track videos: Homestead, Pt.1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AestzQ9E-Kc
Homestead, 3rd personhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvLTGUU4xI
Palm Bch Intern'tl Raceway w/ my lowside, lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyehVn95pE
Joker at Daytona-Team Hammer race school w/ John Hopkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YpPUATErMY
Penguin Roadrace School:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLORtCY8aiI
post #3 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Mythical Mod of Yore

Posting Frequency

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wicked Send a message via MSN to wicked Send a message via Yahoo to wicked
Quote:
Originally Posted by the joker 008 View Post
it actually looks like it was a minor high-side. If you watch after the 2:07 mark, you will notice that the 2 riders in front of him start to leave him upon exiting the corner, then you hear the 'gusta rider start to get hard on the throttle and thats when you see the rear slide and come out from under him. Simply put... Too much throttle early with that lean angle he had. Maybe he used shitty rubber.

- Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Vio
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It just seems like a very odd crash, the front end dips down so fast it doesn't even seem right.

You may be right though, it could just be shoddy rubber.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I would call it a geometry problem, he had the ass step out 2 times under mild throttle I would say the rear of the bike is too high causing the swing arm to tuck, the bike has 0 squat and had no traction under acceleration!
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Vio
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Rracer View Post
I would call it a geometry problem, he had the ass step out 2 times under mild throttle I would say the rear of the bike is too high causing the swing arm to tuck, the bike has 0 squat and had no traction under acceleration!
That sounds like it may be the case. His near crash at the 1:05 mark is odd too. I never had traction issues like that when I was at Jennings.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I was say it has to be a rubber issue or a problem with the way the bike was set up. Maybe a combination of both.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I know this is tough but looking at the backrounds was the 1st slow speed near crash and 2nd actual crash in same corner/spot ? maybe wind blowing crap onto track ect . Odd crash indeed
post #9 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Your tyers don't seem to be up to the job,good tyres would have easily handled that amount of lean,is your rear suspension too stiff?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ShervinRRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio View Post
Firstly, i'm not sure if this is better in the general section or racing section, but since it is a track video i stuck it here.

I was watching this video the other day and found it strange that he crashed where he did. What do you guys think caused this?

My best guess is that he was too hard on the brakes and was off the gas for too long, overloading the front tire. It doesn't seem like he went in too hot, or got too throttle happy.

I was just curious as to whether you guys had any other thoughts one what could have caused it.

The crash happens around the 2:05 mark:
YouTube- MV Agusta F4 1000R Crash - On-Board Video from Jennings GP

How are you doing?!
I watched the video you asked for the accident casue; I belive the reason that this rider falled down was becasue he was so unexperienced. An experienced rider does not pass a turn with a dead gear (means there is no rpm which cause more revolution with less control on your rear wheel). I belive he was passing the turns with 3rd gear while he is going around 60mph and he is trying to put his knee on the ground as well (That is not secure). Now the answer to your question, the cause of the accident on 2:09 is becasue his gear was so dead, go watch the video, listen to the engine (you can clearly hear the raise of the rpm just before the bike lost control)! At 2:08 as he approched the exit of the turn, he applied throttle with that dead gear; The rear wheel escaped out becasue of the high revolution and not enough friction between the tire and the ground, the rider didn't get it back and that accident happened. Now, you might say why this accident didn't happend at 1:02 when he made the same mistake?!! I tell you right now; On 2:07 he just passed the curb on the edge of the track -the curb on the track is not so high but it has some angle and sometimes it has some height as well-. At 2:07 he passes that curb so the there is a force (toward above) from the curb to the bike which cause less frictions of the wheels to the ground. Now at 2:08 -just after 1 second of passing that curb- the suspentions and even the bike are still bouncing from that curb passing, as he applied the throttle on 2:08 on a dead gear on a less frictioned wheel, the wheel gets out of the way and that accident happened.

* The reason he didn't fall down on 1:02 was becasue he didn't pass the curb that time so there was no bouncing on the bike, so on the rear wheel (the bike was more secure on the ground and tires had more friction to the ground that time compare to 2:08).

I hope this video and this comment becomes an experience or atleast a knowledge for you and everybody else and causes you to do not do the same mistake!

Be careful, Be safe, Be happy!
ShervinRRR

Last edited by ShervinRRR; 03-30-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in