Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

what is 9/10th's???

2K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  04zx10r 
#1 ·
could 1 of you florida boys explain this 9/10.....what is it what is the purpose

thanks in advance

j

#2 ·
blackbeast said:
could 1 of you florida boys explain this 9/10.....what is it what is the purpose

thanks in advance

j
I'm in centralflorida and I don't know what they meant. It must be a south florida thang. :heyyou:

#10 ·
cunfuzed

#13 ·
Just a guess but if you are "tuned" right and all that, it shouldn't take you any longer than 9/10th's of a mile to reach your top speed, kinda like who can top out the quickest? Remember just a guess?

#14 ·
bonz said:
Just a guess but if you are "tuned" right and all that, it shouldn't take you any longer than 9/10th's of a mile to reach your top speed, kinda like who can top out the quickest? Remember just a guess?
yeah...I would think the same but at the drag strip(1/4mile) from a stop my speed healer says I reach over 150mph just after shut down, on the street for only a few seconds from 4th at 70 or 80mph or so to 5th and a little on 6th gear I get to 168mph(geared 16/40) to a 1/4 mile or so later.....just seems like a lot of room to reach top speed...but what do I know...I live in a city, not much room out here to test.:headshake: .:badteeth:

#15 ·
well i cant tell you exactly how it originated cause i have only been at it 6 yrs and its been around 10+ years.. what i do know is when i started doing it there was u-turn section of road where you could turn around and race from a sign and there was turn off where people could park and watch. from that sign to where the lot is where people watched it was 9/10.. if it were a mile people couldnt see the finish..

it is not as easy as you think to set up your bike for this type of racing. most guys not from around here come down and lose whether there bike has more power or not.. ill tell you 1 reason..

#1 is gearing if you are geared too tall you will be a pig out off the line ( we start @ 3500rpm 1st) and then the guy you race youll never reel him in by 9/10.. if you gear too short youll be on the limiter early and the guy you race will pass you..

there are so many tricks to this type of racing.. i dont know them all myself even.. maybe iceman on here can shed some light on how 9/10 actually came about.. he was around back then..

#16 ·
bonz said:
your right.. my bike untuned did 186mph at 7/10ths.. however the guy doing 190mph would pass me up by 9/10ths.. follow?? so you need to regear to 190+... also once you hit 190+ mph its not as easy to get each mph.. aerodynamics play a big factor and thats what makes the 06 faster at this game..

#17 ·
miykl said:
I'll take this one...

basically a drag race to 9/10th of a mile.

see... not so hard. :badteeth:
not that it was complicated mikyl I just wanted all the info...a 2nd gear roll on to top speed (sunday morning 3127) that's self explanatory. I wanted to know if they were raceing from a stop or a roll and why..thanks deezhul:cool:

#19 ·
THE ICE MAN said:
We used to race at a spot where the crowd waited at the finish line because
its better to see the bikes come by at top speed and see who won, and by how much, you know when you race someone you cannot see behind you
and the loser will say I was right there within 1-2 bike lenghts when he really was 5-6 lenghts back, well there is non of that when the crowd is right there to give the end results.
Why 9/10's ??
Down this long deserted road we had no marker's exept this mph sign
that just happen to be 9/10's away from the finish line now this was done at night from 1:00 A.M.- 3:30 A.M. in the morning, your head light and sometimes when there was a full moon out that was your only way to see where you where going at 160-180 mph, because this place was pitch black nothing around, I never ran unless they had 5-6 races before me to scare the animals of the night away!!
We had another spot were we raced also wich just happened to have a marker in the road at 9/10's also, everyone geared there bike for this distance, so when we go to different spots it has still carried over to our original distance the 9/10's its almost perfect when the bike reaches top speed not too long or too short !!

1/4 mile is too short there is less of a thrill factor, I like to see what they will do with the ram air into full effect and aerodynamics of the bike really come into play.

:cool: Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a big thrill.

#20 ·
blackbeast said:
not that it was complicated mikyl I just wanted all the info...a 2nd gear roll on to top speed (sunday morning 3127) that's self explanatory. I wanted to know if they were raceing from a stop or a roll and why..thanks deezhul:cool:
IHMO their 9/10 is more of a race than the good ol 3127 runs due to no defined finish, no offical start. Leaves lots of room for, "you jumped me." "you shut down." and all the other excuses. But then the BS'n and chest beat'n at the stop and Hooters was a big part of the fun.

#21 ·
miykl said:
IHMO their 9/10 is more of a race than the good ol 3127 runs due to no defined finish, no offical start. Leaves lots of room for, "you jumped me." "you shut down." and all the other excuses. But then the BS'n and chest beat'n at the stop and Hooters was a big part of the fun.
i totally agree that is a better race but we don't have that here as you know and these fellas don't seem to like change unfortunately

#23 ·
GSX said:
Krome Avenue at the tower. Now that brings back some old memories. Back in 1990, George was going through there at 186mph on his air cooled GSXR 1340.
you could not have been around back then?? how old are you??

#26 ·
Back then we would meet a Murray's Auto at the clover leaf on Saturdays around 10:00pm and then about 100 bikes would ride wot to Dade Corner. We would race from 1:00am to 3:00am on Krome. Back then I had a Katana 600 that would top out at about 135mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.