Want racers / trackday riders opinion - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Want racers / trackday riders opinion

Hi i was suprised when I went to the ama superbike race in Millville NJ. In the 1125cc buells in superbike agaist the other 1000cc machine was clearly a better handling and better braking machine especially in the extreamly tight backsection of the course . But in the Daytona sportbike class the 1125cc Buells looked like a Harley Roadking in comparison to the 600cc machines . I own/ owned the kawasaki zx10 and suzuki GSXR but havnt even ridden a current 600cc sportbike . For those who RACE or do TRACK DAYS on both a 1000cc 4cyl sportbike and a 4cyl 600cc sportbike . Is the differance really that great? I was under the impression that in this day and age the liter bikes has essentually caught up to the 600cc middleweight class in respect to handling .. or does it just seem that was because the differance doesnt show up till your pushing the bikes to thier linits ? Thanks Jake

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A BUELL /DMG/CONSPEARACY RANT . THATS BEEN BEAT TO DEATH . IM JUST CURIOUS ABOUT COMPARING 1000CC 4CYL HANDLING VS 600CC 4CYL HANDLING...... THE BUELL IS JUST A COMPARISON REFFERANCE POINT !!

Last edited by jake318; 10-04-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

a 600 handles night and day better then a 1000 it just has to do with the extra gryoscopic forces a larger motor produce

08 ZX10R
woodcraft covers, crg shorties, brembo master, galfer lines, Shogun sliders, Vortex rearsets, m4 gp, hotbodies glass.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinklelol View Post
a 600 handles night and day better then a 1000 it just has to do with the extra gryoscopic forces a larger motor produce
I've always heard this so there must be something to it. My only track experience is with an 04 10r and 05 6r, both "dinosaurs" by current bike standards, but still very capable. Initially I thought that the 6r would be similar to the 10r in handling, the 10r even felt lighter. But I was surprised how effortlessly the 636 not only steered into a turn, but also how light it felt thru the turn. Oddly though, my lap times are pretty similar on both bikes, proving only that the power of the 10r offset any handling advantage of the 636. Also note that I have only done 3 trackdays on the 6r vs 10 or more on the 1000, so it's likely that will change sooner or later. It may also be interesting to note that a friend of mine raced a '01 r6 in wera several years very competitively and recently switched to a honda cbr 1000. He only raced it a couple times and has yet to grow on him. He claims his old yamaha handled better and I believe he still lapped several sec/lap faster on the 600. I and him both know this is not due 600 being a better bike, I think mainly due to his comfort and acclimation with the 600 and limited time on the 1000. Still it goes to show the 600 must hold some clear advantage, which can only be handling.

Last edited by hayden41; 10-04-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinklelol View Post
Yup! mass is mass.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

the difference in handling isnt huge. yes the 600 will feel lighter and easier to get into the turns. the difference is you can brake later, carry more corner speed and hit the gas harder and earlier on the 600. you cant do this on a 1000c, its all about the power. I'm just learning this after years on a very light and Kitted ZXR750 and moving to the 10r. Lean angle is your enemy on the 10r ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in