Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Turbo ZX10 ready for Maxton

11K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  dsabat 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a new size-XL turbo, cams, and boost controller installed, hoping for good speeds on the Maxton Mile in 2 weeks. Anyone else planning to go? -Dean

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks expensive.

#7 ·
dean, you build a mean machine! the fastest liter bike record right, what was your previous record at again?

#9 ·
The tire is a Pirelli, I think Diablo 2CT 180/50. I wanted a medium compound, used tire. I chunked a pair of Supercorsa take-offs at Loring last year.

This bike is the fastest 1000cc on pavement - 245.3mph in a mile and a half. Joe Amo has been faster at the Bonneville salt flats, on a very streamlined bike, with totally enclosed rear.

#16 ·
Just for the bike picture and in admiration of you labor; what's all been done to your bike?

#21 ·
The build is pretty standard for a turbo, rods, 10.5:1 pistons, valvesprings, cylinder studs, lockup clutch, billet basket. The trans is now undercut with a low first gear. I am running 2 '08 intake cams, 110/110 lobe centers. The turbo is a 62mm compressor with stage V turbine. It is water / air intercooled, and I run a 2 gal reservoir with icewater.

It made 325hp /150ftlbs at 18psi, with 11.5:1 AFR, -5 degrees timing, no intercooling. Then it broke an exhaust valve, because I cut the clearance too tight. I hurt the nice Kallina epoxy head, but it's fixable. It's got a stock head on it now, that I cleaned up a little. I will push it to 28-30psi if I need to, which should be about as much as I can put to the ground. Hopefully it stays together.

I had hoped to get back to the dyno to tune for more boost, but I'll have to finish the tuneup at the track. Start rich and sneak up on it.

Dean

#23 ·
If you are in East Canada, you should come to Loring AFB in August, there will be some seriously fast bikes there. I plan to go.

sweetridezx10r - Here's a shot of the right side. RSK is Ryan S Kallina, who ports heads and builds engines.

#26 ·
How Andrew doing with fast? Has his business and rep gotten any better? Since your build there's been plenty of secgen members seeking turbos and turbo pieces. If his acts right maybe he could cash in on the thirdgen market too?

#27 ·
Andrew now works with Orient Express, building turbo systems (not out yet), and selling / tuning Magnetti Marrelli standalone EMSs. He tuned Rob Budgell's Prostreet bike to a new record ET of 7.12 at the AMA Dragbike opener a few weeks ago. He built the new header / wastegate / uppipe for me on the side.

#29 ·
andrew kits always looked top nothc and judging by your performance they were just that. i wish i was able to do business w him back in the day. im glad hes in good hands w orient now. some people just arent ment to manage and that happens.

#30 ·
DSABAT the builder of hector Arana engines is the my builder for my Buell XB12R Firebolt roadracer( now 1900cc) Aranas engine set up and ours is almost identical and he ran a 6.98 which you know is dam fast .( we dutuned our motor somewhat for durability of course). My rider was sceptical if The Buell raceer will be able to beat a Yamaha R1 ? I could have punched him the mouth for being so stupid. people think if you get 250 hp in drag engine it wont if you throw motor into a roadracer , as if it knows the differance .

#32 ·
That's awesome Dean, good luck at Maxton, can't wait to see the results of what she can do. I'll see you at Loring, where hopefully you'll get another record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.